X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: More fun with Weekly Flogging...

Originally posted by lorider
    are you serious? you want them to reprint your posts to a message board? woah.
    jeez. You really don't wanna get rid of that 'blowhard' image in yer mind!

not my posts!
    (altho that's not too bad of an idea... besides, they already started doing that..)
    But what i meant is, lotta good stuff seen in general throughout the local boards. They could pop some in print now and then.
    kind of an expanded version of what they did a few issues ago, when they mentioned Ryan's magnum opus.
    (not that! This site!)
    Last edited by kimo55; March 30, 2005, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Kimo is referring to our 15 seconds of fame when a few of us were mentioned in the Weakly recently. Me thinks it wont be the last time either.

Its funny the ones who defend and criticize the paper simply know people who worked there as if your perspective gives you a certain pipeline as to what actually happens there. You never know you may very well have some others here who actually know what its like to work there.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
        Inane ramblings is right... picked up the weekend edition last week and read that the Living Room (a nightspot at Fisherman's Wharf) is one of the city's best kept secrets.
        Please.
        It ain't secret just because the writer just discovered it - there have been items in BOTH dailies about the place, and it gets listed every week in the calendars for the Advertiser, Star-Bulletin and the Weekly!
        A few months back I posted here about the Weakly writer who announced breathlessly that Jerry Santos and "Olomana" were playing in a lounge at Hilton Hawaiian Village on the weekends.
        The Weakly's writer was clueless about the fact that they've been playing there for, oh, a decade or so!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Likanui, I apologize for calling you a "blowhard who needs to be put in his place."
          It's cool. No problem. I kinda thought you were referring to me and not to Kimo, but I did get a good giggle from Kimo's reply assuming it was him.

I'll stop posting to defend the Weekly. It is a flawed paper in many, many ways, and probably deserves as much criticism as it gets. (...) But it does need to be better. I just thought I'd try to add some balance to the conversation.
          Hey, don't stop defending it! Having multiple points of view is what makes these conversations good... and "balanced".
          Keep on keepin' on.
          And I know WeaklyEd reads these threads cuz I've seen him/her logged on every Wednesday after the paper comes out, though he/she hasn't posted anything recently. Hopefully the staff at the Weakly realize that we're pulling for them individually and that we feel sorry for the conditions they have to work under. Also, some of us posting here do have strong journalism backgrounds and hopefully the Weakly staff will take our comments as constructive criticism.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
            Whoa.
            what da...
            Lika!
            This lo rider is dissing us both. How we miss dat!?
            Whatchoo mean "we" missed it?

By the time I read LoRider's post, you'd already assumed it was aimed at you and had replied, so I just kinda kicked back to watch the fireworks.

Comment

Re: More fun with Weakly Flogging...

OK, Who wantsta start?
              anyone? ok, here goes:
              the Pake issue.
              Yeah, the one that came out yesterday.
              Like you, I was surprised at the cover headline of "The Pake Issue".
              Then saw the letter complaining that Kokua Market wasn't in the March 16 "Food" issue. In a rare letter reply, there's an Editor's Note that says "We were saving Kokua for this issue." Well, yeah, Kokua Market always gets special attention and biiiiig ads. If I recall correctly, the Weakly's publisher worked at Kokua Market before starting the newspaper.
              Then on page 15, a very brief Q&A interview with whale expert Jim Horton. After one of Horton's responses, the Weakly's interviewer says "I'd love to be part of something like that." No question for Horton, just a personal comment about himself. Ummmm, it's a NEWSpaper and every grade-school journalism student knows that the reporter is not the story themselves, the story is the story!
              And to make matters worse, the interviewer then goes on to say "I've always wanted to go on one of those fan boats racing through swampland." Again, not a question, just a personal comment which was also not relevant in any way to Horton's previous answer or to any other part of the interview! (And "fan boat"? Sheesh, at least get the darned name right!)
              Mind you, the examples above are two out of only 11 in the whole short interview.
              The writer and the editors should both be ashamed.
              Fast-forward to yet another Q&A interview on page 19 with Gelareh Khoie, a native of Tehran who has opened a club on Hotel Street in Chinatown. In her next-to-last reply, about being on Hotel Street, Khoie tells the writer "It'll take a lot of work and energy to strip it (Chinatown) of its past and change the course of its history".
              WHOA. Where does this malihini get off trying to strip Chinatown of its past and change its history?!? More importantly, at least for this discussion here, is why didn't the Weakly writer and/or editors pick up on this outrageous comment on what is such a 'hot button' issue these days?
              Enough flogging for now, though we can't forget the usual (and numerous) ads seeking new Weakly employees.
              Last edited by LikaNui; March 31, 2005, 02:54 PM.

Comment

oh, jesus fuh...rikken keeerist on a pogo stick!
                another "he said she said".
                Lorider. .. you... ahhh.. fuh gettit!

ok..

Originally posted by LikaNui
                It's cool. No problem. I kinda thought you were referring to me and not to Kimo, but I did get a good giggle from Kimo's reply assuming it was him.
                dass cuz lo referred to a comment in one o' my posts. and continued from there in her post to say I am a blowhard....
                I said:

"you must be affiliated with the Weekly in some way."

she said:

"I suppose I am. And also I think you're a blowhard who needs to be put in his place"
                Last edited by kimo55; March 31, 2005, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Like you, I was surprised at the cover headline of "The Pake Issue".

Enough flogging for now, though we can't forget the usual (and numerous) ads seeking new Weakly employees.
                  I agree about the use of "Pake." They did that last year and I didn't like it then, don't like it now.

But you're always going off on the fluff...it's like attacking the Tiser and the Bulletin for their Island Life sections. What about the hard news? Do the dailies do a better job than the Weakly?

Comment

Fast-forward to yet another Q&A interview on page 19 with Gelareh Khoie, a native of Tehran who has opened a club on Hotel Street in Chinatown. In her next-to-last reply, about being on Hotel Street, Khoie tells the writer "It'll take a lot of work and energy to strip it (Chinatown) of its past and change the course of its history".
                    WHOA. Where does this malihini get off trying to strip Chinatown of its past and change its history?!? More importantly, at least for this discussion here, is why didn't the Weakly writer and/or editors pick up on this outrageous comment on what is such a 'hot button' issue these days?
                    Well, I read that interview and I don't think she was trying to disrespect the local culture. My take is that she wants to get rid of the run down, drug-infested, not-safe-to-visit reputation that Chinatown has. Along with the other business owners in the area (I've personally spoken with a number of them), Khoie seems to have the best interests of her neighborhood at mind.

That said, what's wrong with features reporting? There's just as much competition between the Advertiser's TGIF and the Star-Bulletin's Weekend section I think - it's just entertainment instead of hard news. That doesn't mean the staffers care any less about their jobs, does it?

Comment

But you're always going off on the fluff.
                      No, what we're critiquing is the lack of good journalism practices, plain and simple. Have you seen any of the countless other "Weekly" newspapers in other cities? They're typically well known for high journalism standards, even though the article topics are usually "alternative" issues. But with the Honolulu Weakly, those journalism standards usually don't exist at all.
                      You, of course, have the right to call that "fluff". Professional journalists call it "shoddy journalism".

What about the hard news? Do the dailies do a better job than the Weakly?
                      Of course they do!
                      What a silly question.

Comment

Whatchoo mean "we" missed it?

I dunno anymore; totally confused by this thread by now.
                        Dass Kimo; Galloping toward senility!

Comment

I dunno anymore; totally confused by this thread by now.
                          Nah, there's just a couple of people who apparently don't mind -- and even encourage -- the fact that the Weakly has shoddy journalistic practices. I guess those peoples standards are really really low. That's fine, but they shouldn't whine at those of us who do have higher standards.

Comment

Wow, I've since moved on from the Weekly, but boy does it still cause a commotion. I love Hawaii Threads, BTW, so I can keep up with the news on the Island.

Everyone just needs to understand one thing that will forever doom the Weekly. The top editors barely make enough to live on (I won't name any figures) and the writers get paid .10 a word, the same rate as when the first issue of the Weekly came out. There aren't enough editors, there aren't any staff writers. There are people who do it as a hobby, prioritize it behind their day jobs and there's no such thing as a copy desk at the Weekly. Editors write, edit, copy edit, fact check and argue endlessly with the cover designer, an old friend of the publisher. The production manager is way overworked, and tired old issues like Kokua, which the publisher was the manager of way back in the day, are still favored. Yes, alternative weeklies tend to have a liberal bias, but the Honolulu Weekly has had the same predictable bias for years.

Many hardworking and ultratalented folks have tried to make it work. The best have moved on to other opportunities. Stu, Curt, Julia, John Wythe White, Robb, Chad, the list goes on.

As long as the financial/business end of things doesn't upgrade, neither will the quality of the paper. The Weekly deserves the flogging, but think about how bad the rest of the print media is considering most of those employees only have to do their own jobs, are relatively well compensated and have beat writers for the multiple sections of a newspaper.

Any newspaper that chugs along on the goodwill of its friends (Bob Green writes for free), and not like a real for-profit business, is not a good newspaper at all.

Comment

As long as the financial/business end of things doesn't upgrade...

According to Ilind.net (Saturday's entry), the Weekly might be buying Hawaii Island Journal:

April 9, 2005 - Saturday

Hawaii Island Journal, published and distributed on the Big Island, is apparently up for sale. It looks like another opportunity for Gannett to continue it's news consolidation, but Honolulu Weekly publisher Laurie Carlson is also said to be trying to negotiate a deal, a move probably more politically acceptable to HIJ publisher Lane Wick and the newspaper's regular readers.

I wonder what's going on.

Comment

Originally posted by BKHale2007
                                ...Honolulu Weekly publisher Laurie Carlson is also said to be trying to negotiate a deal, a move probably more politically acceptable to HIJ publisher Lane Wick...
                                LC: OK, Lane, let me put it on the line with you. Here's my best offer: I'll give you two weeks at my Maui timeshare, a ride on my boat, and a rare, classic 1960s Volkswagen bus for your paper.

LW: Chee, Laurie, that bus is kinda old, I don't know...

LC: Come on, you could sell that thing for top dollar right now, if you wanted to! But if you were smart, you'd hang onto it for a couple of decades, then it would really be worth something.

LW: ...and I don't LIKE Maui...

LC: Look, Lane, frankly coming from the Big Island, I'd think you would appreciate the step up to a Maui vacation!

LW: Whaaaa??

LC: OK, never mind that. How about I throw in, say, 20 shares of Honolulu Weekly stock? How's that? Better?

LW: But I already HAVE a paper. I'm trying to sell it. I want to retire.

LC: Retire? Retire?!!! Where does a great publisher like you get off retiring? What will that do to your constituents--your reading public? Where will they go for real information?

LW: Whoever buys HIJ, I hope, will keep it up.

LC: Who? Gannett? cough*sellout*cough.
                                Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Working...
                                X