Graffitti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Graffitti

Let's use PHYTO as an example. The police find out who the little twerp is, and then charge him every time the tag appears, whether he did it or not.

Comment

Here's a rundown on tonight's anti-grafitti meeting in East Oahu:
      Not only were there East Oahu residents at this meeting run by Bill Paul, but there were people from Pearl City, Kailua, Moiliili, Manoa and Kapahulu, to name a few areas. There were about 30 people, including Sam Slom, Barbara Muramoto, Charles Djou, DOE's Greg Knudsen, a police officer and Advertiser reporter Susan Roig.
      Bless his heart, but Bill Paul, the man responsible for obliterating the majority of the grafitti on East Oahu, pretty much wanted to equip more people with permits, paint and brush. I'm one of them. There were some of us who wanted to get to the root of the problem. One man's experience upon coming upon four grafitti brats, revealed that these were all Kaiser High students. The typical profile is that these are boys in packs of 2-4 between the ages of 15-24 who work in the wee hours of the morning. That blows my theory that these are young men in their 20s. (Which I will still kinda stick to) They also don't use spray paint cans but art kits. Who sells them? Do they wear rubber gloves so they don't get the paint on their fingers?
      One idea I have is canceling graduation activities for high schools if the jurisidiction is tagged. Tag up and down our neighborhoods, Project Graduation is cancelled, or senior class trips. Something that makes enough heat that peer pressure makes it stop. I might just write a letter to the editor about that one. Or not. My husband HATES it when I do that, LOL.
      The persistent coverage/removal of grafitti within 24-48 hours is the best defense, in the opinion of some who were there and who have been working at painting over the offenses. It makes sense, if the tag isn't there too long then there's no glory. Frankly, I don't know why mommy and daddy lets junior boy out to play after midnight.
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
        Here's a rundown on tonight's anti-grafitti meeting in East and Advertiser reporter Susan Roig.
        ooops. Make that Suzanne Roig.
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I never figured that it would have been young males in the 20's simply because they got better things to do now that they're adults.

Kids on the other hand got nothing better to do and I'm not suprized that they're using art kits as selling spray paint to minors requires an ID in most stores.

What bothers me is that now that it's been determined the profile of the taggers are juveniles, how come the parents don't know their kids are out vandalizing public property after curfew?

And regarding profiling, you did recognize the fact that I said "Juveniles" as opposed to teenage boys. There are female taggers out there as well and it's not limited to a certain gender.

Parents should be held accountable for their children's actions. I don't believe an entire school should be held accountable for actions from a few. Yes it will create peer pressure but imagine this: A kid get's in trouble at school for an unrelated school crime and is the most hated student there.

To get back at his fellow schoolmates, he tags a building and get's caught. Ha Ha got all you scumbags back! That's how a law like that can backfire and cause more grief than good.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe

Parents should be held accountable for their children's actions. I don't believe an entire school should be held accountable for actions from a few. Yes it will create peer pressure but imagine this: A kid get's in trouble at school for an unrelated school crime and is the most hated student there.

To get back at his fellow schoolmates, he tags a building and get's caught. Ha Ha got all you scumbags back! That's how a law like that can backfire and cause more grief than good.
            Yeah, I was being a meanie. My husband said the same thing. It's just frustrating. I also agree that there are probably girls doing this, too. But I do think that 20-somethings don't ALWAYS have something better to do. It's a battle. sigh.
            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
              But I do think that 20-somethings don't ALWAYS have something better to do. It's a battle. sigh.
              they ALLLL ways have something better to do.

Comment

Alright! I agree with Kimo. We all have the choice of doing something constructive or not. Just seems the "not" appears to be more fun at times so people choose that instead.
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

OK, graffitti again. How about a tiny pilot light on on blank wall, like on a gas stove. A punk sprays his paint over it and
                  WHHHHOOOOOSSSSSHHH!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FreaknHaole
                    OK, graffitti again. How about a tiny pilot light on on blank wall, like on a gas stove. A punk sprays his paint over it and
                    WHHHHOOOOOSSSSSHHH!!!!!

what an image that brings to mind!!!
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Driving from town to Hawai‘i Kai today, I saw an interesting graffitto along H-1 in the Kaimukī area. It was a stenciled portrait of (I think) Kalākaua, with the legend "1836-1891" beneath -- which are the king's birth and death dates. There were two of them, painted in black onto pillars at different spots along the road. I wonder what the painter is trying to tell us?

Hmm, I wonder if I should cross-post this to the Hawai‘i before the 20th century thread?
                      Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; September 11, 2005, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Aloha many graffiti in the Kaheka and Keeaumoku area

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                          Driving from town to Hawai‘i Kai today, I saw an interesting graffitto along H-1 in the Kaimukī area. It was a stenciled portrait of (I think) Kalākaua, with the legend "1836-1891" beneath -- which are the king's birth and death dates. There were two of them, painted in black onto pillars at different spots along the road. I wonder what the painter is trying to tell us?
                          Thanks to ironokole for reviving this thread, 'cause I noticed that in this week's (last week's?) Honolulu Weekly there is a feature article on Honolulu graffitti, which included the one I saw. The article's not up on their web site yet -- eh guys, when you going post em?

Comment

It was last Wednesday's issue, and the guy I was thinking of has a website here.

Comment

I just read the guy's blog entry about how if this place weren't so ugly there wouldn't be graffiti.

You don't see all these so-called "artists" doing it to their own homes. I haven't seen a single private home turned into the "artist's" own personal canvas. You guys want to spray paint your ugly "art" on something, start with your own homes.

I wonder...if I thought his house was ugly as s**t if he wouldn't mind me coming down and redecorating it to suit my own taste?

He mentions coming from San Francisco where his "art" was accepted. Why did he come here, then, where his "art" is not accepted? If it works there, STAY THERE. Don't come here and try to remake this place to suit your own taste. I don't get these guys.

Blaine
                              Last edited by zztype; March 7, 2006, 01:01 PM.
                              Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Aloha...i suggest we put a bounty like $200 for the capture of illegal graffiti artists caught defacing public and private property

Comment

Working...
                                X