Graffitti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Graffitti

Aloha... i see lots on S. King St. near the top of buildings, these guys are monkeys. who let the monkees out of the zoo?

Comment

On my way back to my car after visiting Bishop Museum, I saw a house on the corner with a sign on the hollow tile wall that read:

This property is serviced by Graffitti Busters. All graffitti will be removed immediately.
      And right underneath it? A big ol' tag. It's like the property owners were daring the taggers to try it. And one did.

Pictures here.

Comment

Aloha~~~ their tagging is to try see if they can get caught, but they didnt and i wonder if it is still there?

Comment

New member, please forgive my shortcomings etc. etc...

I read the past 3 or so pages of this Graffiti talk and most of it is negative. I feel there is a little grain of salt one should take while bashing away at this Graffiti scene.

Much of what this collective community hates is the Tagging aspect of graffiti. Tags are done hastily, making it hard to express the style of their works. Guys like Phyto, and more recently, OOPS, have been taking their tagging to new levels. They have $64,000 and $34,000 bounties on their heads, respectively.

Now, why would someone take such enormous risks just to put their names out there? To me, it means they are serious about their art work and are willing to accept the risks that are bestowed upon them. One could reason that you'd have to be half crazy and half in love with the Graffiti world in order to keep doing it. The fact that you spent a good chunk of money on paint, that you've become paranoid and weary of the fines you could encounter if you get caught, that your work WILL get painted over are all overcast by the fact that you KNOW half the town will see your work, like it or not. Possibly for reactions sake. I mean, look what it has stirred up here.

Half the town won't go to an art show. They would take two steps in the door, mutter something to the effect of, 'that looks like sh*t,' and bolt out of there. But the people who get to know what it's all about and don't dismiss it outright truly appriciate it more. Now, half the town knows the artist, like him or not. Can you name an independant non-graffiti artist in this town that could draw that much attention?

I'm not asking anyone to change anything they think about Graffiti. You're certainly entitled to your opinions. But I felt there needed to be something for everyone to take into account. There is some respect commanded from this art. To me, there hasn't been enough defending it.

Thisis what it's all about. Honestly, tell me that's not art.
          Last edited by Another Haole; March 30, 2006, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Sorry 'nudda haole, it's NOT art. It is vandalism.

I reiterate, if they think their art is so hot shit, I suggest they use their own homes as a canvas and not other peoples' property.

My guess is their mommy will give them spanking and ground them if they spray paint the house.

Call it what you like, but if you do it on other peoples' property without their permission, it is vandalism, nothing more.
            Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Another Haole ... you should let them tag the place you live since you appreciate it so much. Let them do the inside as well as the outside and then you can truly appreciate it night and day. Heck maybe a bunch of us can go put some "art" on your place of residence.

I hope you live in Kahala!

Do you think any of these graffiti "artist" would want their places of residence graffitied? I doubt it. So why would a business/home owner want art on their building that isn't commissioned?
              Last edited by jkpescador; March 30, 2006, 07:13 AM.
              just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

I took this shot by the Diamond Head Theater. It's one of their storage containers. Yes it's vandalism, but at least I can read this one. HaHa!
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Could you get a little more hostile and creepy, jkpescador?

You only see it as someone putting paint on someone else's property. It takes skill and risk to create a good piece. People refuse to respect that and automaticly dismiss it as vandalism. It is vandalism, yes, but you can't sit there and tell me it's not art. Since you want to come to my house and make your 'art', try making a good piece like the one I posted. It takes more skill than you can conceive.

Everyone seems so passionate about hating Graffiti and doing everything in their means to stop it (a lot of it is pretty rediculous), but it hasn't stopped at all. If anything, you've made it 'cool' to do it because, as you know, teenagers LIVE to piss you off . You know it's not going anywhere. How about coming up with a good solution to this for once? Legal yards where painters can create their art without damaging or vandalising property are great, but as jdub stated, they are simply too few and far between.

We already know you hate it. Yet, it hasn't let up at all. If you want the graffiti to stay off your walls, give them something else to paint on.

Comment

Originally posted by Another Haole
                    You only see it as someone putting paint on someone else's property.
                    That's the way I see it too. And that's called vandalism. If I want my property painted, I'll hire someone. The graffiti taggers do not ask permission -- they simply, you know, vandalize.

It takes skill and risk to create a good piece.
                    Then why don't they sign it with their real names? That way we could thank them. Up close and personal.

It is vandalism, yes,
                    Those four words of yours sum it up completely. No matter how you try to twist it around, IT IS VANDALISM.

but you can't sit there and tell me it's not art.
                    Look closely into your monitor (or look at my avatar). That's me, sitting here telling you it is not art. Like you said above, "It is vandalism, yes".

(a lot of it is pretty rediculous)
                    There you go again, making our point for us. Mahalo!

How about coming up with a good solution to this for once?
                    Jail time comes to mind.

If you want the graffiti to stay off your walls, give them something else to paint on.
                    Easy. Let them paint graffiti on their own cars and houses. And on their parents cars and houses too. And on all their relatives cars and houses.
                    Problem solved.
                    Last edited by LikaNui; March 30, 2006, 02:55 PM.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

You only see it as someone putting paint on someone else's property.
                      Uh, that's because it is. Maybe they didn't teach you this in kindergarten, but it isn't nice to draw on other kids' stuff. I guess you missed that day. What part of "illegal" is not clear to you? Missed that day, too, huh?

It is vandalism, yes, but you can't sit there and tell me it's not art.
                      Watch me.

Legal yards where painters can create their art without damaging or vandalising property are great, but as jdub stated, they are simply too few and far between.
                      I have an even better idea. What about if punks like you learn to respect personal property and the law and take your scribbles to a nice quiet private place where the rest of us don't have to clean it up? Someday, you're going to do it just to piss someone off and you're gonna get arrested. Or shot. Or worse. And I'd love to see what the judge says when you tell him it's his fault because he didn't provide you with a clean wall.

Comment

Another Haole

If someone doesn't want the art/paint on their property what's wrong with that?

So if someone broke into your house Another Haole and put up there art in there you would love it? Of course you wouldn't report it to the police because you appreciate it.

Graffiti won't go away but it isn't wanted either. Believe me if I saw kids doing graffiti they would be reported to the police.

Maybe you should pay for all the damages the graffiti artists do since you appreciate it so much. Now that would be fun wouldn't it?

If you posted where you live I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who would put up some art on your house, car, dog, etc.

One of my favorite Bu La`ia pieces is where this guy throws his cigarette in the street in front of Bu La`ia. Bu La`ia picks up the cigarettes follows the guy home and litter his yard with the cigarettes. I think he said something like "you like litter now?"
                        Last edited by jkpescador; March 30, 2006, 03:58 PM.
                        just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

[...]It takes skill and risk to create a good piece.[...]If you want the graffiti to stay off your walls, give them something else to paint on.
                          Ya know...I've never seen any graffiti, either here or on the mainland, that I like, in the visual sense. Then, again, art is in the eye of the beholder. However, I always marvel at how these 'graffiti-ists" can paint such elaborate, detailed, large murals of graffiti without being detected. Even the junky spray painted silliness that I see on freeway signs amazes me. How the h3ll do they get away with it?

A curiosity question...
                          Were you allowed to draw on the walls of your family's home when you were little...be it crayons, paint, pens, pencils...regardless of the quality of your art, without your family's permission? While that behavior certainly isn't illegal, most parents don't condone it, usually handing out some kind of punishment. It becomes illegal when it's done maliciously to someone else's property. And, for God's sake, why is it up to any of us to "give" anyone else "something else to paint on"? "Them" can go to Costco and buy a huge role of butcher's paper and paint 'til the cows come home. But, no...the adrenaline element isn't there with paper, is it? It's not there with painting legally, is it? It appears to me that the adrenaline rush is more important than the act of artistic expression.
                          Last edited by tutusue; March 30, 2006, 04:18 PM. Reason: damn typos!

Comment

Geez. Drove up Waialae in Kaimuki looking for a place to eat. Almost any blank wall, no matter how high, has got crap sprayed all over them. Looks like heck up there. AH, you'll never convice us it's art. It's crap and looks it and it's criminal property damage. How bout paying for the repairs.

Comment

Well, it seems like a pretty one-sided argument here. I wasn't setting out to tell anybody to change their opinions, but obviously my opinions are wrong to all of you. Oh well...

I'm not going to try to defend myself because I know more of you people are going to come in hoards to flame up on me because taking it out on me, personally, will make it better somehow .

It's not going to go away, no matter how hard any of you try. I'm sorry for you, but it won't stop. It seems these 'punks' have out smarted you and come up with ways to get around being caught. Throwing a tagger in jail isn't going to fix anything. Doesn't that make you angry ?

For the record, no, I do not write Graffiti. I simply appriciate it's nature and artistic values. I'm not the only one...

Do try to have a nice day. Hope you aren't losing sleep over this.

Comment

Well, it seems like a pretty one-sided argument here. I
                                I'm not going to try to defend myself because I know more of you people are going to come in hoards to flame up on me because taking it out on me, personally, will make it better somehow
                                You are actually quite funny - how can any of these comments be "personal" when you are only words on a screen here on HT? You don't sign your name (just like the folks you seem to admire), most folks here probably don't know you personally. What is posted is a reaction to your WORDS, not to YOU. Maybe you need to shrink the ego a bit and just listen. It does seem that you are outnumbered by most here who believe that artwork of any kind, on property that is not your own, is vandalism.

oh, and by the way - putting things in really BIG or scribbled letters on a wall does not increase the size of your cojones. Just in case you were wondering. There are other ways to get an adrenalin rush!

It's a fairly simple concept - WE as individuals do not have the right to deface property of any kind, anywhere, that does not belong to us. Nor should someone else come onto OUR property to do this.

Fran (see - I signed my name)
                                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                                X