No announcement yet.

What's playing on your iTunes & iPod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What's playing on your iTunes & iPod?

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Throughout the years, many of the Beatles recorded songs without some of their compadres anywhere near the studio.
    I wouldn't say many. There's only a handful (less than 5% of the group's total output) where one or more the Beatles do not contribute something to a song's recording. I believe the first such session was for Yesterday, which featured Paul on acoustic guitar and a string quartet.

But Yesterday was a great song. I Me Mine, as a composition, sucked rocks. The fact that John Lennon wasn't even on there is just a contributing factor to why I don't like it. Not counting Phil Spector overdub sessions on the Let It Be album and the ersatz Beatle songs from the '90s (Free As A Bird, Real Love), I Me Mine was the last song to be recorded by the group. And instead of going out with a bang, the Fabs went out with a pathetic whimper.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
      I wouldn't say many.
      Difference of definition. "Many" doesn't have to mean anything near "majority." For example, much of The Beatles (a/k/a The White Album) was recorded by the individual members, without having all three of the others in the studio.

...I Me Mine was the last song to be recorded by the group.
      Actually, while it was originally part of the "Let It Be"/"Get Back" sessions from January 1969 (as shown in the film of Let It Be), what there was of the band (McCartney, Harrison, Starr) decided to make a better studio recording of it, which they did on January 3, 1970.

Why wasn't Lennon part of the session? Because he chose to leave the band in September 1969. So the last recording sessions by the foursome were for completion of I Want You (She's So Heavy) and The End, in August 1969.

So yes, as you stated, I Me Mine was the last session credited to The Beatles (until the other stuff you mention); but Lennon's absence was not meant as an insult by the rest of the band - it was his own decision.
      Last edited by Leo Lakio; June 15, 2009, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Soho Dolls, Ribbed Music for the Numb Generation
        Social Distortion, White Light, White Heat, White Trash
        And been listening to lots of Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          Difference of definition. "Many" doesn't have to mean anything near "majority." For example, much of The Beatles (a/k/a The White Album) was recorded by the individual members, without having all three of the others in the studio.

Actually, while it was originally part of the "Let It Be"/"Get Back" sessions from January 1969 (as shown in the film of Let It Be), what there was of the band (McCartney, Harrison, Starr) decided to make a better studio recording of it, which they did on January 3, 1970.

Why wasn't Lennon part of the session? Because he chose to leave the band in September 1969. So the last recording sessions by the foursome were for completion of I Want You (She's So Heavy) and The End, in August 1969.

So yes, as you stated, I Me Mine was the last session credited to The Beatles (until the other stuff you mention); but Lennon's absence was not meant as an insult by the rest of the band - it was his own decision.
          Me thinks you are reading just a "tad" little too deeply into my statement about not liking I Me Mine because of Lennon's absence. What you say is factually true,.... but has little bearing to any relevance on what is, when all is said and done, my personal opinion that the song stinks.

I Me Mine was rehearsed by the Beatles when they were filming what would become the Let It Be movie at the Twickenham soundstage. But then again, better Harrison compositions were also rehearsed and filmed. There are mag reel audio of the Beatles (all four of 'em) doing numerous run-throughs of All Things Must Pass and Let It Down. Why neither of those superb songs made it into the movie's final cut and received a proper studio recording by the Beatles (as opposed to those songs making a later appearance on George's solo ATMP album) is beyond me,.... unless George made the deliberate decision to hold back his best material and instead, dish out his "B" songs (I Me Mine, For You Blue) as his contribution to the Get Back/Let It Be project. Certainly, no one can make the accusation that McCartney was holding back his best stuff on Let It Be. (i.e. the title track, Get Back, The Long And Winding Road, Two Of Us.)
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
            I tried to think what is the worst Beatles song ever. Since I am a Beatles fan I like all of their songs. However if I had to pick one that is the worst, I have to go with the one that usually always gets skipped when I play the album... and that would be "Revolution #9". I don't know if it even qualifies as a song, but I usually avoid playing it because it is non-sensicle and long (8 min 13 sec).
            While it is not something I could say I enjoy listening to for the musical composition, I use this in my intro acoustics class as one of the first examples of looping. Many of the sounds used in that composition (and the other 8 before it) are ordinary everyday sounds. A music prof at school has a class called "The Beatles" that runs in the same semester as my course and we tend to have many of the same students. We both use that piece as a project. Try to identify the everyday sounds. Why do they sound so different when looped? Anyway, it's great for that kind of thing.

Keeping with the thread topic - most recent tunes,

Straighten Up & Fly Right - Diana Krall
            Tonight - Elton John
            Moon Dreams - Miles Davis
            Se A Cabo - Santana
            Same Girl - Jack Johnson
            A Sailboat in the Moonlight - Billie Holiday
            Rodeo Clowns - Jack Johnson
            Sugar Mama - Bonnie Raitt

Comment

There are mag reel audio of the Beatles (all four of 'em) doing numerous run-throughs of All Things Must Pass and Let It Down. Why neither of those superb songs made it into the movie's final cut and received a proper studio recording by the Beatles (as opposed to those songs making a later appearance on George's solo ATMP album) is beyond me,.... unless George made the deliberate decision to hold back his best material and instead, dish out his "B" songs (I Me Mine, For You Blue) as his contribution to the Get Back/Let It Be project.
              Really good point - something we'll likely never know. Makes you wonder if, as you said, he purposely held back - knowing that the breakup was happening, and that he would want his best stuff for his eventual solo releases.

Comment

Worst Beatles recording of a non-Beatle written song? That would be Mister Moonlight. Ewwww.
                Some of the early live covers they did are recorded poorly. But as an official release, "Mr. Moonlight" is up there among the worst. From the first Anthology album, I'd add "Besame Mucho".

And folks, thanks for the additional info on the background of some of these Beatles songs. I read a couple books on the making of some of them, but a lot of details have escaped me over the years. It is generally known that many of the songs on the White Album are recorded by only 1 or 2 members of the group.

Getting back to Harrison, it would seem a couple of tracks were held back from the Beatles only to show up later in his 3 LP set All Things Must Pass that came out in late 1970, a few months after the Beatles officially called it quits.
                Last edited by mel; June 15, 2009, 09:39 PM.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

An odd mix of hits and rarities by Burt & Bruce (Bacharach & Springsteen, respectively, not collectively), now that the Alan Parsons pile has been demolished.

Comment

The tune playing right now is "Junebug" by Robert Francis. It's this weeks free download at the iTunes Music Store.

Before I forget (*g*)...Robert is the son of a high school classmate of mine and the godson of my kindergarten boyfriend! I like the song and...yes, I'm biased!! I reunited with Robert's dad and godfather on Facebook a couple of months ago!

/shameless plug

Comment

OT but my BlackBerry allows me to wake up every morning to an MP3 of Israel Kamamawiwoole's In This Life. It is such a wonderful way to wake up.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        Before I forget (*g*)...Robert is the son of a high school classmate of mine and the godson of my kindergarten boyfriend!
                        kindergarten boyfriend? oh my. boys were yukky to me at that age. we should start a new topic, on childhood sweethearts.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
                          kindergarten boyfriend? oh my. boys were yukky to me at that age. we should start a new topic, on childhood sweethearts.
                          Dan (kindergarten bf) and I have exchanged several emails lately about his various preschool and elementary school girlfriends! He never went thru a girls-are-yukky stage which I found interesting. Nor did I go thru a boys-are-yukky stage that I can remember! But, I digress...

/off topic post

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            The tune playing right now is "Junebug" by Robert Francis. It's this weeks free download at the iTunes Music Store.

Before I forget (*g*)...Robert is the son of a high school classmate of mine and the godson of my kindergarten boyfriend! I like the song and...yes, I'm biased!!
                            I downloaded and played the free iTunes track this morning. Good song, one of the better freebies offered from iTunes. Reminds me of a Chris Isaak type of song.

Getting this back on topic, here are the songs that played on my iTunes this morning:

Hell (Album Version) - Tegan And Sara
                            The Golden Age - The Asteroids Galaxy Tour
                            24 Hours - Noisettes
                            The Other Side - AM
                            Nobody - Kate Earl
                            All The Right Moves - OneRepublic
                            Two Hands - Jars of Clay
                            Perfect Stranger - The Donnas
                            Mary Quaint in Blue - The Dylans
                            Bulletproof - La Roux
                            I Gotta Feeling - Black Eyed Peas
                            Peacemaker - Green Day
                            The Push - The Seedy Seeds
                            Bumpers - The Agency
                            Bruises - Chairlift
                            I Heard of a Girl - Miss Li
                            Second Chance - Shinedown
                            Never Forget You - Noisettes
                            Major Tom - Shiny Toy Guns
                            I Keep Falling - Lovers and Poets
                            Junebug - Robert Francis
                            Droplets - Colbie Caillat Feat. Jason Reeves
                            Next In Line - Meese
                            Building a Mystery - Sarah McLachlan
                            Ain't No Rest for the Wicked - Cage the Elephant
                            Attack Of The Ghost Riders - The Raveonettes
                            Matter of Time - Shannon Hurley
                            Valerie Plame - The Decemberists
                            Flathead - The Fratellis
                            Zero - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
                            Free - Walter Egan
                            Painted By Numbers - The Sounds
                            Weapons - Jars Of Clay
                            Requiem for a Dying Song - Flogging Molly
                            That's How You'll Find Me - The Bats
                            Weight Of The World - Marina V
                            Calypso Gold - Princeton
                            The Things We Do for Love - Lovers and Poets

Want to see all the tracks I played on my iTunes for the past 2 or 3 years? More than 48,000 of them are listed on 980 pages at Last.FM.

http://www.last.fm/user/macpro/tracks

Some of the tracks can be played from the list in streaming audio too.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Bump!

TOP 25 MOST PLAYED SONGS IN iTUNES
                              September 10, 2010

Since the beginning of the calendar year 2010, these are the 25 most played songs on my iPods and iTunes on the MacBook Pro. I have 2 other Macs with iTunes and they have different play counts. This is the Mac I use the most. I usually zero out my play counts at the beginning of each new year. The numbers to the right of each artist are the times each song got played so far this year on iTunes or my iPod. 4 of the 5 iPods I own are synched with the MacBook Pro. I play my newer / current songs more than all of the oldies I have.

Rank - Title - Artist - Play Count

1 - Back It Up - Caro Emerald - 53
                              2 - Need You Now - Lady Antebellum - 52
                              3 - The Golden Age - The Asteroids Galaxy Tour - 48
                              4 - Bulletproof - La Roux - 47
                              5 - Hey, Soul Sister - Train - 45
                              6 - I Heard of a Girl - Miss Li - 43
                              7 - Major Tom - Shiny Toy Guns - 43
                              8 - Breakeven - The Script - 42
                              9 - I Keep Falling - Lovers and Poets - 40
                              10 - 24 Hours - Noisettes - 40
                              11 - Meet Me Halfway - Black Eyed Peas - 37
                              12 - Never Forget You - Noisettes - 37
                              13 - Breaking Into Cars - The Raveonettes - 37
                              14 - Bad Romance - Lady GaGa - 36
                              15 - Fortunate Family Tree - AM - 35
                              16 - American Honey - Lady Antebellum - 35
                              17 - Chasing Pirates - Norah Jones - 34
                              18 - Fireflies - Owl City - 34
                              19 - Walk With You - Ringo Starr - 34
                              20 - Second Chance - Shinedown - 34
                              21 - A Stitch In Time - Smashing Pumpkins - 34
                              22 - The Sweetest Thing - Camera Obscura - 33
                              23 - I Have You To Thank - Donny Osmond - 33
                              24 - Heavy Feeling - Justine Bennett - 33
                              25 - Smile - Uncle Kracker - 33

Anyone else seriously keeps track of their play counts?
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

My song of the moment is by Clutch and is called "Electric Worry".

Gotta love a song with a chorus of "Bang bang bang bang! Vamonos! Vamonos!"
                                Listen here:http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Worry...5197070&sr=1-1

Comment

Working...
                                X