Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Augie T. Gets Pied

Originally posted by pzarquon
    ...but I think some of the comeback zingers Kimo posted would have really turned this free publicity into gold.

Pzarq, you DO read my posts!
    aawww...

Comment

Yep I agree, Augie needs to lighten up and turn this into a positive instead of pursuing this as a negative. Public sentiment seems to lean towards this and his current attitude will only allow people to see his darker side and that can leave a bad impression on his audience.

Comedians are supposed to be funny not angry. I know he has a real life but he got pied during his stage life so he must treat this incident that way.

By the way is he still young enough to join the military? I mean that's the best way of showing his support and he wouldn't have to pay his way to Iraq!

We've all been humiliated at least once in our lives and if you haven't been yet, well then I think it's about time. One thing I've always wondered is how come entertainers seem a cut above the audience? I mean we pay them to entertain us. We're the Royal Court and they're the Jesters. What changed over the centuries?

I think that headliner should have read: Augie gets a taste of Humble Pie. Better now than later less he turn into the likes of Andy Bumatai, too good to for the working stiffs. Andy was funny in the 80's, he ain't funny now and the same goes for his jokes!

Augie, you're young and popular, I hope the only thing that fades is your youth. Please turn this around and make this a win win situation. I know you read this, it seems half of CC reads these posts. I know I used to hear them in the Jock lounge getting my headphones out of my locker when I used to work at that other studio next to AM 590. You know which one. Give us all something to laugh about.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Wow Craig... sounds like you really have something against Augie. Did he make fun of you at work or something? And he's only what, six or seven years younger than you? Does that mean a 45-year-old is "young" too?

Public sentiment seems to lean towards this and his current attitude will only allow people to see his darker side and that can leave a bad impression on his audience.
        Public sentiment? Where - on Hawaii Threads? That's not a very fair representation of the local community. And what's his "darker side"? Again, have you seen something the rest of us haven't?

Augie's a pretty hard working guy from what I've seen, yet he still does it with a smile on his face and kind words for fans who approach him politely. (Key word is polite - not with a pie in hand). Just because he's a comedian means it's okay to do what that hippie did? It's not okay to pie ANYONE in the face.

There are plenty of other local "celebrities" who are bigger dicks than Augie is. Tiny Tadani is one who comes to mind. Ever run into that guy when he's not doing something for KUMU or for his OC-16 commercial that tries to pass as a legit TV show? He's all smiles when he's on the clock, but try to approach him anytime/anyplace else and he'll either give you stink eye or ignore you completely.

Comment

I have nothing against Augie. Everyone has a dark side. Comedians are no exception. It's the anger side that comics must supress when out in public.

I've followed Augie since his irrelevent days working at Kamigata's in Manoa. He's a good act no doubt but if you read today's Tribune Editorials, public sentiment seems to reflect Hawaii Threads.

Either way, a comedian should never show their serious side because it only defuses their comedic side on stage.

No apologies from me pal. Augie needs to lighten up and Andy needs to get new material and a better attitude when out in public and all his fans want to do is to say, "Hi Andy", but instead get the hand instead, yeah that was a great impression Andy! Remember it's your audience that pays your salary.

Oh by the way regarding Tiny...you must have been a carpenter cuz you drove that nail all the way down in my book.
          Last edited by craigwatanabe; April 14, 2005, 11:34 AM.

Comment

"I have nothing against Augie...read it again I have a lot against Andy...note the spelling?"

'Tonite! Audy and Angie Live together at the Mew Bloon.'

"I've followed Augie since his irrelevent days working at Kamigata's"

You mean Irreverent? Or both?

"all his fans want to do is to say, "Hi Andy", but get the hand instead,"

slightly better den gettin da finger.

"if you read today's Tribune Editorials, public sentiment seems to reflect Hawaii Threads. "

we ARE the national barometer.
            Last edited by kimo55; April 14, 2005, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Geez Kimo I was in the middle of PCing my post when you replied to my pre-PC wording.

Anyway, yeah I noticed their similarities. Augie is simply a younger Andy. I just hope Augie doesn't end up like Andy.

And I did mean irrelevent days when he was nobody but catered to a small audience. Him and Paul Ogata and another local lady were at Kamigata's doing live performances back in the early 90's. He came over to our table (my dinner meeting guest was Mike Vasconcellos) and introduced himself as Augie. I told him he'll do good with his local style act and he did.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                No apologies from me pal.
                I wasn't asking for one. I was asking if you had a personal grudge against the guy.

And don't call me pal - there's a donkey on this board who once got carried away with the "buddy" moniker. Sometimes it can be hard to understand the exact connotation you're going for with just the printed word.

It will be interesting to see if anyone on Oahu picks up on this.

Comment

Okay I'll apologize on that one Sorry for that remark however like I said there was nothing in my thread that indicated any dislike for Augie, just a remark about his dark side and everyone has one and what I realized with Augie is that he can dish it out but has a hard time accepting it.

He's a hard working man but he has to remember that when in the public eye especially when during these times it is more than likely that joining the Military is more than just a job, it's your life at stake.

Like I said if he wants to show support for our troops by asking someone else to do the grunt work, that message can be a bit shallow and it was reflected by this pie incident. Imagine if it were a mother or spouse who just went thru the horror of finding out their child was killed or seriously wounded in the line of combat just to see some comic make some related or unrelated joke about the war and then ask for everyone else to make the supreme sacrifice by joining for freedom.

Yes he's going to Iraq but it's not to defend freedom, it's to show support however he's asking everyone else not to support but to defend. Lead by example or be a servant leader if you want your message to have some bite to it.

Bottom line is that he's a comic not a recruiter. He may be a role model to some and thats why he may have chosen or be chosen to do this soft sell, however as a role model he also has to understand and respect the feelings of those against the war effort (I'm not one of those by the way). His support of the war effort (and I applaud that) will mean losing some respect from those against it, and he got pied as a result.

No it's not okay to pie someone in the face but his response only showed his real side and not his comedic side that we've all known to love and laugh with. That real side told us that he can get upset. Imagine a clown getting pissed off? Would you laugh again with or at that clown the same way as you thought before?

I'm sure Lanai had some consoling words to Augie but I also know Lanai and I'm sure he told him to lay back as well. I'm sure a lot of people told him to lay back, but he didn't and now it's appearing in the editorials in a way he'd wish it never did.

Like I tell my kids, you can make your day whatever you want of it because you control what goes into that mind of yours and you control what your mind will do in response.

Augie is a good person from his humble past riding the bus to work to now helping the war effort, this incident can work to his benefit but he's got to chill out and talk about it in a positive way if he wants to turn the tables on that protester.

This is good advice from someone who wants to see Augie succeed because I saw a star that night in Manoa at Kamigata's.

As for you Palolo Joe, sorry for that remark, yeah it was a bit condescending. I guess I got my pie too!

Comment

About the recruitment ad that he voiced... you would understand this Craig. Wasn't Augie just given a production order, and he completed it? It's like voicing an ad for diet pills or a tax service - you read the copy given to you, no matter if you actually use the product/service or not.

If I read correctly, he was just told to voice the public service announcement, so he did it. I understand where you're coming from when you say it's more of a commitment to actually sign up for the military instead of telling people you're planning to go there and entertain the troops. I agree with that.

But wasn't Augie just doing his job when he hit record on the computer and started reading copy?

Not trying to argue. Just wondering if he ever had a choice about the PSA in the first place.

Comment

He had a choice, in the sense that we all choose what we do, but if he read off the PSA as part of his normal stint at the radio station, chances are he read what was put in front of him because it was his job, not because he specifically has a deep and abiding love for the U.S. military. I mean, hell, even if he was anti-U.S. military, this "choice" would be between reading a PSA or losing your job.

I agree with Tulba that the woman chose the wrong target, but not for the reason Tulba's insinuating.

Comment

Palolo Joe, you may be right about just doing his job in reading a P.O. however I do feel that he had some right to request someone else do it if he had strong feelings about it. Either way I'm not going to condemn a man for his choice or statements...this is a free country, I do however feel his reaction and threat of retaliation is a bit much for such an incident and I figure that following thru will make matters worse for his image.

Regarding the wrong target, now that he's stood his ground what is he gonna do about it? Yeah he said file charges but with the editorial comments made regarding his decision to fight back, his next action may be what his fans don't want him to do and could jeopardize his popularity.

Hey he was a boxer before and he took it on the chin from greater adversaries...just let this incident die already. Even if he wins he loses. Okay big deal he gets his charges levied against this lady, how will the headlines read this one: Former Golden Gloves boxer strikes back at female war protester and wins. Yeah...that's a good one to put under one's winning card.

Comment

Ok everybody, I'm finished observing.

Tell Augie, Aunty Lynn will do it for him.

No charges, no bad feedback from fans, no nothing.

Why come down to a level that is not becoming of him.

Wea da hippie, wea da hippie lady? I wuz one tita hippie too.

Pie to pie, bring me da bi..h...wea da hippie? wea da hippie lady?

whack, whack....poof be gone!

It's friday night and the feelings right!
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

let us not forget that some of the the funniest people ever marketed were genuinely angry...bruce, carlin, pryor...it's the ability to make people to relate to anger and laugh that makes these comics marketable...
                            Don't be mean,
                            try to help.

Comment

Two op-ed letters from the Thursday, 14 April 2005 Hawaii Tribune-Herald:

Augie's sense of humor

"Augie T" had better develop a sense of humor if he intends to pursue a career in comedy. A pie in the face is one of the oldest tricks in the comedy book, and personally I think that Auntie M. Perialism made a very funny statement about a timely issue.

Perhaps more importantly, Mr. Tulba should develop a conscience. He may feel that he is just doing his job reading commercials for the National Guard. In fact, he is being used to soft-sell the high risk of joining today's military.

To enter the National Guard right now is to face up to eight years of multiple deployments to a war zone. That is NOT funny, and I doubt it's something that the National Guard includes in its ads.

Get your priorities in order, Augie.

Robert Kennedy
                              Volcano

Can't Take a Joke

I laughed hard when I read the story about comedian "Augie T" getting hit with a pie by some silly hippie (H T-H, April 12).

I don't agree with the lady's action, but it was hardly an act of terrorism.

Seems to me Mr. T should lighten up. Isn't a pie in the face a classic gesture of comedy?

Joe Kawamata
                              Honokaa

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                                Even if he wins he loses.
                                You're absolutely right. After all the discussion back and forth, it all boils down to that statement.

Comment

Working...
                                X