Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Haunted Places in Hawaii

Ah, thank you.

Now, is this regarded as superstitious hocus-pocus or does it hold some weight?
    If someone claimed to have seen these Nightmarchers, would it basically be the same as if he had claimed to have seen Bigfoot?
    Hail to the Chief Bloomenbergensteinenthal, shiksa.

Comment

I used to work at the old Gibson store in Mapunapuna - Currently Toyota Hawaii. One late night doing inventory, we gathered by the office. The warehouse manager (a Hawaiian guy), came in with a smiley look asking us to go into the warehouse to "see something scary." All of us went to see. We heard a sound, like someone walking on wood floors.

We said to the Hawaiian. "So...we heard it." Then he asked, "where is it coming from?" We look straight ahead and up. All we see was solid concrete. No wind, no wood. Nothing other than a concrete wall. He smiled. All of us ran back into the office.......

I've heard (read) that in old Hawaiian stories, that the gateway to hell was in the Mapunapua area....

Comment

Re: Obake Files

Dr. Grant taught an AMST course at UH during the summer. It was a joint program with UH and UCLA students. I was honored to a part of his final class there. We didn't really get into the spooky stuff until the end of the course, but we did take a Downtown Walking Tour, and that guy was just amazing.

Anyway, I grew up in a 4-story apartment building across from Kaumakapili Church and I remember a lot of supernatural stuff happening growing up. The sounds of someone hammering, a ball rolling, and the usual kanashibari (choking ghost). All that stuff happened on a daily basis.

Auntie Lynn, since you're familiar with the area and its history, do you know when that building went up and what was there before? The building is called Olu Hale Kanoa, on the corner of Kanoa and Palama. I used to hear stories about how there were homes on that land that were destroyed in a fire. My relatives lived in the building next to ours (Banyan something) and I know there was a lot of paranormal activity there.

Anyway, I'd love to hear more about the history. I've been wanting to check out the Archives for years now and I've never got around to doing it.
        Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
        We're not here to mess around
        Boston, you know we love you madly
        Hear the crowd roar to your sound
        Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
        You know we couldn't live without you
        Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Re: Moths: Superstitions, Omens

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
          Tutusue, glad you came out without a serious injury.
          This isn't you on the phone is it?

Have you ever heard the superstition that moths are the embodiment of the soul of the recently deceased?

When my grandmother passed away, a large moth entered our living room about a week later, and remained in the same place for about a week.

When my sister passed, a smaller moth hung around for a few days.

But we weren't brought up with this belief, so to this day I (pretty much) look at these experiences as pure coincidence.

Anyone heard of, had these experiences or have this belief? If so, what do you know of its cultural or ethnic origin?

Googlin' a bit, the term, Lepidopteral Symbology popped up. "Symbols relating to wings and the body".
          I believe in that moth superstition. A moth suddenly appearing can't be a coincidence when this only happens when someone passes away and not during any other days. A month appearing and staying for awhile happened when our obachan died too. Even just recently when we returned from a graveyard visit, there was a moth appearing out of nowhere on a clear sunny day when we returned home.

Why isn't there a Sci-Fi Ghosthunting crew here to investigate and try to debunk those haunted locations in Hawaii?

Comment

Re: Moths: Superstitions, Omens

"I believe in that moth superstition."

me, too.

however, when speaking with my kupuna wahine who interprets dreams/symbols and is clairvoyant, she said that the moth is a "messenger." i've had it apppear on different occasions not only when someone dies. but, when i was growing up, i was told that it meant "death." ?
            "chaos reigns within.
            reflect, repent and reboot.
            order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

What kind of moth are we talking about? I see moths every day, at home and at work, inside and out. I guess I need to clean house.

Comment

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
                I used to work at the old Gibson store in Mapunapuna - >>>> We heard a sound, like someone walking on wood floors.

We said to the Hawaiian. "So...we heard it." Then he asked, "where is it coming from?" We look straight ahead and up. All we see was solid concrete.
                I got a little chicken skin after reading this. Thanks for sharing!

Sharilyn, here's the moth that appeared at my place after my dad passed away...

There's a thread dedicated specifically to the moth superstition here.

How about "Obake Bite". Anyone heard of that? (did I ask that here before? lol). I swear I had one recently. It was located on my left arm at the bicep area. I still try to pass it off as a bruise I "somehow" got by perhaps hitting a wall? That I don't remember? W-T?

It looked and felt like a bruise, but it had a clear "pinched" look to it, just like it would look if someone had bit on my skin for a prolonged period of time. It lasted for about 2 days, then finally disappeared. My girlfriend said to bite on the "Obake bite", and the person who delt the "wrath" will in turn get a bite back. She said it's usually "given" by the spirit of someone who is jealous of you.

Who would be jealous of me is beyond me.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Ah, OK. Thanks, Pomai, for the photo and the link.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                    Has anyone here heard about the Hawaii Prince Hotel Waikiki being haunted? Supposedly certainly floors are. This is new to me. If it is, what kind of haunting is it? I know lots of Nihongin tourists stay there, so I'm imagining somethin' like The Grudge (Juon). That's some scary $#it.

A friend from Maui is scheduled to stay there in December, but he's reluctant if it is. Whimp. lol

Hawaii Prince Hotel is that modern twin tower near the Ilikai Hotel on Ala Moana Blvd.. just in front of Ala Wai Boat Harbor.
                    Hawaii Price Hotel site on the exact site of the formal Kaiser Hospital. So with Hospitals, many people have died there. I've been to the hotel a few times. And once for dinner. But I will beleive it....

Comment

Since someone mentioned Mapunapuna, I’ve got a couple of stories myself. I understand the large intersection of Salt Lake Boulevard and Puuloa Road has got some strange goings on.

Real quick, a few years ago, a teenage boy my older cousin took under her wing was at the stop light on Salt Lake Blvd late at night heading to McCully Zippy’s on King Street to meet up with friends. His girlfriend was in another car behind him, waiting for the light to turn green. Suddenly a young woman with long straight hair all dressed in black appeared at his passenger door with the window rolled down and his stereo blasting away. No one knew where she came from. She asked him for a ride and helped herself in his car. Meanwhile, his girlfriend was in shock and was angry at him for allowing her to jump in his car. When the light turned green, she later flew past him and got to Zippy’s before he did.

Meanwhile, as the teen was driving, he said he was scared and kept his eyes on the road continually. The lady kept asking him questions like, is that your girlfriend? Where do you live, etc. She seemed to know things that a stranger wouldn’t.

When they got on S. King Street near Zippy’s, she told him to pull over onto the side so she could get out. He ended up at the corner of where Wisteria used to be. When he stopped, she thanked him, got out of the car and closed the door. When he looked up, she was an entirely different person. Instead of a lady dressed all in black from head to toe with long flowing black hair, she turned into a lady with short blond hair wearing shorts and a blouse. The teen was driving a compact car, and there was no way she could have changed without moving or creating a disturbance in the front seat, especially without him seeing her. He totally freaked and eventually made his way to Zippys pale white and babbling and incoherent. His girlfriend took him to my cousins house in Pauoa at 1:30 a.m. because she was the only person that could get through to him. He eventually snapped out of it after several hours.

We shared amongst close friends and family, and one acquaintance who lives in the area knows a cab driver who claims this woman makes an appearance once a year, around September/October. Apparently the cab driver saw and heard about this woman and just drives off when if and when he sees her. Yikes! I live right around the corner from there.

Comment

Here goes again :

The following is true and I was not on any kind of drug or alcohol and nor was I dreaming. I lived on Kauai for about 15 years spending my high school years there. I had heard many bizzare and spooky stories , including stories about the Night Marchers. I had no idea that one day I would encounter them close up!

In May of 1995 I went to the Big Island for a job interview. I didn't get the job and I was "marooned" as I was broke and didn't know anybody. I pitched a tent just Kona of Anae'ho'omalu far enough away from the resort area where I would not be easily found. This would be my "base camp" til I could get myself on my feet.

My tent was well hidden in the Ke'awe and you could not see the tent unless you knew it was there. I pitched the tent on the only flat ground as the area is all lava fields. I saw ,many petroglyphs and a partially collapsed lavw rock wall ,where I pitched my tent next to utililizing the flat ground.

One night I bedded down , I noticed the moon was a small cresent and was later in the month like the 25th or the 27th.. it was defineately the waning moon. It was about 10:15pm and I was just nodding off to sleep when quickly I came to my senses (I am a light sleeper) when I heard someone walking past my tent on the beach trail.

It sounded like plastic buckets "clunking" together, so I figured it was just someone out for a night dive. I lay still and wait for them to pass. I thought it odd that whoever they were HAD NO lights. My single man tent was covered completely with a canopy and could not see out (Thank God!) Because....

Someone came to my well hidden tent and called my name out CLEAR and UNMISTAKEABLE in a deep masculine guttural voice. I knew instantly that this was a voice NOT of this world! I
                        could "sense" that this "entity" was enjoying scaring the shit out of me and it knew that I knew it was a ghost. Almost a hint mischief in it's voice. It knew I was freaking cause it knew my name to top it all off ! Nobody knew me on the Big Island at that time. I certainly didn't tell the job interviewer that I was camped on the beach.

I could also sense that this being "had to go" as if it had more important things to do. I lay still petrified with fear and layed there for about 20 minutes until I felt the "all clear" I grabbed my blanket and ran as fast as I could along the beach to the lighted resort area about a 1/4 mile away.

I later overheard one of the employees of the resort not too long after the experience who saw "The Night Marchers" as she was driving home through the lava fields after completing her night shift. It turned out it was the same night that I had my "weird" encounter.

I looked up the date and the phase of the moon in a book of the Hawaiian Moon Calender. One of the things it said was it was the time that The Night Marchers are seen! Another book explained the "clunking" sounds as calabashes suspended from a pole in which provisions were carried when one a journey in the days of old.

I came back a couple of days later and moved my camp away from that place as I was too creeped out to sleep there any more. I f anyone has some insight on this kind of experience please do write me . Mahalos S. Hickman e-mail: taiwan.ukulele@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
                          Hawaii Price Hotel site on the exact site of the formal Kaiser Hospital. So with Hospitals, many people have died there. I've been to the hotel a few times. And once for dinner. But I will beleive it....
                          Ha. I was born at Kaiser's former Waikiki Hospital, but can't recall seeing any paranormal activity when I was just 2 days old. lol

A cousin of mine gifted with the "6th sense" said he sees many "walking dead" in the hallways at Queen's Hospital (medical center), which he described it visually as somber and somewhat disturbing.

Surely no different than any other hospital.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I was child of maybe 4, and with my family in our home in Manoa. I woke up one night and saw an old woman staring into the bedroom from the window. I started crying and woke up the family. My aunt asked me what's the matter and I said I saw an old woman in the window. They looked and could not see the woman. I said "See, she there" and I pointed to the window, but no one saw anything.

The next day, the family received a message from Japan that my grandmother, their mother, had died at that moment when I saw the visage.

Comment

Two more.

When I worked at Ala Moana Center at the old Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor, the service corridor was in the back. There is an entire network or loading dock, and alleys running through the center. That is where the (employee) restrooms are. On Fridays and Saturday, Farrell's was opened till 11pm. Often we don't get out till after 12am. One guy went to the rest room to do his business on the toilet. The lights starts to flicker. The door in the stall was shaking. The water faucet was on. Thinking it was one of us, he was pissed and stormed out WTF. No one was there.......He tired to turn off the water, but it was still running.......He ran back with a blank look on his face. I've never seen a Filipino skin turn white. He told his story. Other managers (long time employee) heard the same story. We talked with other employees at Ala Moana, and they heard about it too.

My cousin was driving up Tantalus one night (cruise). On Mott-Smith Drive, near Roosevelt high school. He saw a row of (school) chairs around the street, blocking it. He slowed down almost to a stop. The it all disappear. There were 3 people in the car, including him. Same story. No drugs, beer, etc.

Comment

TOO MANY OBAKE STORIES FOR AN ISLAND SO SMALL!!!!!

Was Oahu ever a burial ground or something???

Comment

Working...
                                X