What does "hapa" mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does "hapa" mean?

When I was growing up, my Filipino dad used to refer to me as "hapa." In our predominantly white community, most people who saw me assumed both my parents were Filipino, but my mother was white. "Hapa" was the word Dad used to explain my bi-ethnicity.

I came across a website recently that suggests the word "hapa" has a very specific meaning--half-Hawaiian, half-something else. In this case, my dad would have been incorrect in applying the term to us.

What's correct? Do most people simply say "mixed" or "half-_____/half-______"? Is Pukui's definition outdated? Does "hapa" have a different meaning than it did, say, 50-, 100 years ago?
    ~'Ailina

Re: What does "hapa" mean?

Originally posted by Ailina
    When I was growing up, my Filipino dad used to refer to me as "hapa." In our predominantly white community, most people who saw me assumed both my parents were Filipino, but my mother was white. "Hapa" was the word Dad used to explain my bi-ethnicity.

I came across a website recently that suggests the word "hapa" has a very specific meaning--half-Hawaiian, half-something else. In this case, my dad would have been incorrect in applying the term to us.

What's correct? Do most people simply say "mixed" or "half-_____/half-______"? Is Pukui's definition outdated? Does "hapa" have a different meaning than it did, say, 50-, 100 years ago?

Like many Hawaiian words it can have many meanings. According to the context.

all meexem up insai
    is one.
    Half Hawaiian half anyting else,
    anodda one.
    part Hawaiian, most erryting else,
    anodda def.

many races in one
    still anodda.

and more:
    Of mixed blood.
    part Hawaiian
    Portion, fragment, part, fraction...

If they say
    mixed,
    they from da mainland.
    dey say "hapa", they either like go se sum good kine Hawaiian contemporary music wit two bruddahs, or they steh local, describing da koko.

Pukui never outdated. If you think it's outdated, straighten up, fly right and study it more and help prevent mainland influence and slang from watering down pidgin and/or island language.
    Last edited by kimo55; April 19, 2005, 10:08 AM.

Comment

"Hapa" is a Hawaiianization of the English word "half", and yes, it was originally used to mean half-Hawaiian and half-haole. Usually it was used as part of the term "hapa-haole".

The Asian-American community has picked up the term "hapa" and uses it to mean part-Asian, part something else, usually white, although I have heard it used to mean Asian-black mixes as well. This has become a really popular meaning on the mainland, where they are trying to find a term that's less derogatory than "half-breed" or "mutt" to describe themselves.

Sometimes people confuse "hapa" with the Japanese term "hafu", which also derives from the same English word but specifically means part-Japanese. This one comes straight from Japan, and as far as I can tell isn't in common use in Hawai'i.

Comment

Mahalo, Kimo & Glen, for answering my question. The website I saw suggested the use of "hapa" in any other context other than meaning "half-Hawaiian + half-something else" was disrespectful and ignorant. It got me wondering if I should discontinue using the term "hapa" to describe myself and my siblings.

I don't personally view Pukui as outdated. To me, the text is "gospel"; I rely on it almost exclusively. I do get confused when I see websites--like the one I mentioned--that seem to conflict with Pukui.
        ~'Ailina

Comment

Boy, they do sound angry, don't they.

Comment

Oh boy. I've witnessed some serious trainwrecks linked to that group. See also Wannabe Hawaiians, which hunts down people declaring themselves of Hawaiian ancestry online and declares them fake unless they state their geneology. There was a bit of a kerfuffle in the hapa community at LiveJournal... it's been debated in USENET as well.

"Read the dictionary!" is the cry. My Pukui/Elbert says:
            hapa. 1. nvs. Portion, fragment, part, fraction, installment; to be partial, less. (Eng. half.) Cf. hapahā, hapalua, etc. Ka `ike hapa, limited knowledge. Ua hapa nā hae, the flags are at half-mast. ho`o.haa. To lessen, diminish. 2. nvs. Of mixed blood, person of mixed blood, as hapa Hawai`i, part Hawaiian.
            Given the primary definition, and the secondary one which notes that "hapa Hawai`i" means half Hawaiian, I think one can use "hapa" to describe any mixed-race individual, part Hawaiian or not.

I can see where they're coming from, what with Hawaiian lineage once being something to be ashamed of or attacked for. But the word "hapa" has been adopted in good faith, as far as I'm concerned, by a community that is itself also struggling with issues of identity and prejudice. Soon enough, everyone will be hapa, but until then, it's a label I see being used with pride.

Comment

Half-breed, shunned by both sides. Unless your name is Trask
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

it's a nickname for that old 50's era cowboy.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                  Oh boy. I've witnessed some serious trainwrecks.... Wannabe Hawaiians

Oh.
                  "Watanabe Hawaiian"

yea, that would be "hapa".

Comment

Actually I don't declare myself to be Hawaiian at all. That would be disgraceful. What I do dislike are those Hapa Haoles that proclaim their lineage to the Hawaiian culture yet hate the lineage from their other half.

I'm 100% Japanese born and raised in Hawaii. My kids are part Hawaiian from my wife.

I've never "felt" the anguish of the Hawaiian and in another post I've even said so in due respect to their plight. Being Kanaka Maoli is a birth right, being of Hawaiian spirit is something that grows within you and has nothing to do with being a wannabe. I'm local and there's nothing wannabe about that. I am true to the lifestyle and don't have to hide behind some fake pidgin talk to understand it cuz braddah I wen grow up keiki time talking la dat.

That's being local, not Hawaiian or Hawaiian wannabe. What's sad is when you see Hawaiians trying to act black or Jawaiian. Wassup with that, now that's messed up.

Hawaiian wannabe, no way. Local...cuz das what I am braddah and proud of it. And being local no mean restricted to color or race. Oops sorry Kimo we're not brothers. I didn't want to imply my relation to you in the cultural sense. It was...a figure of speech. Jus ask Don Ho: Hey Braddah!
                    Last edited by craigwatanabe; April 22, 2005, 04:05 PM.

Comment

no, wasn't saying YOU were.
                      wannabe
                      watanabe.
                      joke.
                      this time really.
                      No relation to you.
                      like that delima song.

Comment

I'm cool with that Kimo it's ironic though that I know more about the Hawaiian culture than I do of my own ethnicity, Japanese.DOH!!!

Comment

i had a neighbor back in 2nd grade. She was in 6th grade of course. she was hella fine, half chinese mandariin and half white. Her moms was chinese and pops white. Anyway, peeps call them hapa. so nowadays, whenever is hear hapa, i always think of her. It's gotta be a fine azz grill. then again, there are some fugly hapa's too. yall either turn out hella fine, or fugly. Usually when the moms is asian the kid turns out good, weird huh. As far as the cultural and prejudice side, i can care less, cuz hapa means fine azz girl in my book. So it's a good thing.

Comment

interesting thread. I always related hapa to being half usually haole. I can now say I'm hafu dis, hafu dat
                            this space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by BZB
                              i had a neighbor back in 2nd grade. She was in 6th grade of course. she was hella fine, half chinese mandariin and half white. Her moms was chinese and pops white. Anyway, peeps call them hapa. so nowadays, whenever is hear hapa, i always think of her. It's gotta be a fine azz grill. then again, there are some fugly hapa's too. yall either turn out hella fine, or fugly. Usually when the moms is asian the kid turns out good, weird huh. As far as the cultural and prejudice side, i can care less, cuz hapa means fine azz girl in my book. So it's a good thing.
                              What the hell are you talking about? Are you writing in English? And what's a "fine azz grill" anyway?

Comment

Working...
                              X