• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What does "hapa" mean?

Being Hapa
    JCCH Fifth Floor, Lounge
    Tuesday, June 7, 5:30 p.m. – 7 p.m.

How do you define being hapa in Hawai‘i? Does being an ethnically blended individual influence your identity? What are the positive and negative aspects growing up hapa in Hawai‘i? And finally, how do we parent our hapa children to encourage awareness, responsibility and fulfillment forming their own identities? The Japanese Cultural Center of Hawai‘i (JCCH) will raise these and other questions relating to ethnic identity in its public forum, Being Hapa. This informal discussion—the third in the JCCH’s Japanese American Social Issues Series in Hawai‘i—will focus on the Japanese American multiethnic experience in Hawai‘i. Attendees are encouraged to participate in the informal discussion. Admission is free.
    There's a little more information here.

I'm going. Anyone wanna meet at Bubbies afterward to discuss?
    Last edited by scrivener; June 2, 2005, 03:46 PM.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hi, Scrivener. Of course, I won't be able to attend the discussion because I'm here in Louisiana, but I am intensely interested. Do you know who I could contact about getting an audio or video of the meeting? Maybe a transcript?
      ~'Ailina

Comment

I'll find out Tuesday night. Please p/mail me if I forget to post the info. Thanks!
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
          How do you define being hapa in Hawai‘i? Does being an ethnically blended individual influence your identity? What are the positive and negative aspects growing up hapa in Hawai‘i? And finally, how do we parent our hapa children to encourage awareness, responsibility and fulfillment forming their own identities?
          I wonder about having a conversation like this in Hawai'i, where so many people are of mixed ethnicities. Unlike in most parts of America, it's not like it's an anomaly here to have ancestors from vastly divergent backgrounds. To the contrary: in high school, I was one of the odd ones in my gang of friends for being "pure" Japanese rather than some kind of mix like most of them were.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
            I was one of the odd ones in my gang of friends for being "pure" Japanese rather than some kind of mix like most of them were.
            That's interesting. Among my current friends, I am one of three (out of maybe fifteen or so) who are of mixed ethnicity. When we plan get-togethers, I often say to one of the other hapas, "Now that we have this organized, let's call everyone. You call the haoles, I'll call the asians." It works out to about half-half. In my high school class of eighty, I can think of four of us who were half asian, half caucasian. There were a few more of mixed asian ethnicities. I'm going to have to grab my senior yearbook and count.
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hapa haole pride takes hold on Mainland

Interesting story in today's LA Times about the recognition of "hapa" culture on the Mainland. Lucky you live in Hawai'i, where people of mixed ethnicities are more prevalent and common and that really really good looking person who walks by more than likely is a "Heinz 57" mixture of Asian plus lots of other things.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Hapa haole pride takes hold on Mainland

Another instance of ignorant mainlanders jacking something from Hawaiian culture...

If you're gonna call yourself hapa, you should be part Native Hawaiian.

If you're Japanese and Irish (or whatever other mix), you ain't hapa. You're bi-racial, mixed race, whatever... but you ain't hapa.

Comment

Previously discussed here.

There are, indeed, those that feel strongly that the word "hapa," generally translated as "half," shouldn't be used generically to mean any bi-racial or multi-racial mix, but only when one of those parts is kanaka maoli.

I'm not one of those people. Though I'm glad to say my kids are hapa by either the narrow or inclusive definition!

I'm basically happy another Hawaiian word is making its way into American culture... though I guess whether it's "jacking" or naturally "adopting" in the linguistic sense depends on one's point of view! (Pity what happened to "kahuna," eh, Kimo?) I'm also heartened to see that multiracial families are something to cherish and explore, rather than something to be ashamed of.

Comment

the article is headed:
                    "perceptions of a multiracial group historically made to feel like outsiders."
                    another whiney irresponsible lil cult trying to blame the world for its plight by approiating an unrealted 'exotic' sounding word for their own warped ends.

again. these crybabies missed the week when schooling taught them that eleanor roosevelt quote. and what it meant.

I don't see the word as generally translated as half. otherwise we would say at morning coffee:
                    "pass me the hapa hapa..."
                    It is part of our culture; we know it as meaning mixed islander koko; part Hawaiian, part something else.

a few years from now, we just may say:
                    "Pity what happened to the word "hapa", eh?!"
                    Last edited by kimo55; July 16, 2006, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Arriving on the Big Island for my high school years, I was informed by my classmates, most of whom were mostly Hawaiian/Hawaiian mix (e.g., Kanaka Maoli), that I am hapa. Some would specify, "Hapa Japanese," but it was THEY who labeled me hapa.

I have heard hapa MOSTLY used, to refer to those of Japanese/Caucasian ethnicity.

I was told by a Japanese national, during a high-school exchange trip to Japan, that using the word "hanbun" (half) in Japanese, was NOT a good way to refer to myself, as it had a negative connotation. "Hah-fu" (Americanized pronunciation of the word HALF, was preferred, he said.
                      I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Erika's elucidation helps me with a point I was trying to make. "hapa" also can be an appropriate epithet flung onto an appreciative caucasian such as myself, BY... a Hawaiian. This instance shows you are hanai'ed. Considered to be part Hawaiian, (not in koko, but in keiki o ka aina) BECAUSE of your longstanding status and localness. Having two Hawaiian stepfathers, I was considered by most all my extended family to be "Hapa" but again, to echo E.E.'s words. it was THEY who gave me the label. and it is somewhat earned. So i see it as an abberation, a cultural theft when various and sundry riffraff of any and all kinds on the mainland toss it around so haphazardly as they do.
                        On the mainland, I would talk story with many expat islanders as often as we could. It was an instant connect to Hawaii and felt like home. because if my deep appreciation and study of Polynesian culture i have been immersed in for decades, I would end up sharing alotta deep kine stuffs with the ohana.. many's the time a Samoan or Hawaiian friend would say; Kimo, you seem more Hawaiian than many islanders I know!
                        While on the mainland, i would call up my Mom, and my stepfather (Hapa stepfather; half Hawaiian, half Samoan) would answer. We would end up rappin for an hour or so, and i would forget i was calling up Mom.... before hanging up, he would say, eh kimo, you know more about Hawaii than I do... or many people I know!"
                        now, to paraphrase the old Bard, I say this more in sorrow than in ego.
                        this was why i was known to them as "hapa". and yet, I have not one drop of Hawaiian koko.
                        Last edited by kimo55; July 16, 2006, 09:14 PM.

Comment

As this thread points out, hapa means different things to different people. And, is that ever true in my business! When I get casting specs that ask for 'hapa' I have to trace the origin of those specs and ask exactly what 'hapa' means to that person. To some it's a 'mix'...even a Chinese/Japanese or Asian/African-American mix, for example. To others it's 'hapa-haole'; be it Pacific Islander or Asian. It's an interesting topic.

Comment

just as
                            tiki
                            or kahuna
                            or
                            mahalo
                            means different things.
                            point is. NOW it is attributed with too many disparate definitions. just as once
                            kahuna
                            meant one thing and it was universally understood, here in Hawaii, what it meant, and other cultures would leave the word and concept alone. until cali surf culture in the 60's grabbed hold of it. then all hell broke loose.
                            yes. many words of Hawaiian origin mean many different things to too many people nowadays. and more's the pity.
                            Wikiwiki is now wiki and means an online encyclopaedia.
                            akamai
                            means cool.
                            and it also means
                            a mainland internet content delivery system.

bllleeaaaaccckkkh!

Comment

I'm fine with the word "hapa" evolving.

Comment

ya missed a letter "d" in there somehwere...

Comment

Working...
                                X