Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 127

Thread: Checkers and Pogo

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Windward Oahu
    Posts
    1,248

    Default Checkers and Pogo

    Totally random thought lol.

    Anyone remember this show? BONUS: Anyone been to the taping of the show as a kid? *raises hand* haha

  2. #2

    Default Re: Checkers and Pogo

    I just came across a autographed picture from Checkers & Pogo that my wife received at a tv taping. If anyone out there has complete shows on tape please drop me a line, hopefully with old KGMB ads and promos still intact as well. Considering that the show didnt leave the airwaves until 1982 I'm shocked that some people dont have those vhs or beta tapes sitting in an attic or something. I'd buy the tapes from anyone if they are offering or borrow them if I could.

    Mahalo!!!

    KalihiBoy

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    372

    Default Re: Checkers and Pogo

    What I'd pay to see an episode of "On The Go".......

    The hippo.....or the men in their flying machines....or the bread making at Love's.....or the glass blower.......or the underground water tunnels.......or the BARN at the zoo........

    I never quite enjoyed the painting one though.

    Anyone else remember these?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mililani
    Posts
    384

    Default Re: Checkers and Pogo

    Wow, the memories. By the way, I'm celebrating an Merry Unbirthday today. Where's the jar of pennies?
    Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Oahu, Hawaii.
    Posts
    1,420

    Default Re: Checkers and Pogo

    Checkers & Pogo???....
    Dang!. I sure miss those guys! They were pretty funny!.
    What happened to those 2 after they were taken off of the airwaves?
    Did they pass away? if so when & from what?.

    I remembered seeing them on the road driving pass by my aunty's car while I was in the back seat with my cousin, when I was a young kid. When we got home, I was so excited that I saw them next to us on the road. LOL.

    Thanks for the memories.

    Aloha.
    Aches & Pains
    (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    9,993

    Default Re: Checkers and Pogo

    Three different people played "Checkers" and I know one of them passed away about a couple of years ago.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Waipahu
    Posts
    176

    Default Re: Checkers and Pogo

    Quote Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
    What I'd pay to see an episode of "On The Go".......

    The hippo.....or the men in their flying machines....or the bread making at Love's.....or the glass blower.......or the underground water tunnels.......or the BARN at the zoo........

    I never quite enjoyed the painting one though.

    Anyone else remember these?
    =============
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOQQ_qv-VQ8

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    65

    Default Re: Checkers and Pogo

    I have many memories of the Checkers and Pogo Show, which was a fixture in our house every day after school.

    They started on a stage with a black background, then went to a sub, then the Albatross, then a tree house.

    I went on the Checkers and Pogo show twice. Once in 1969 on my 8th birthday. My mom made me wear a suit, arghh!

    I had a Checkers and Pogo magazine, with me in a birthday photo inside. There was a photo framed story about Checkers and Pogo against a mummy, who was terrorizing the studio. Cleopatra arrived to save the day and walked the mummy out of the studio. The ending caption read Even a mummy needs a mommy, as both egyptian characters leaned against each other in the last frame. I lost the magazine in the house somewhere. Maybe it got thrown away by mistake.

    The 2nd time I was on the show was in 1971. I sat on the very back right side of those kid bleachers, and each time Pogo came in the door he'd playfully rub my head.

    Professor Fun is a longtime family friend, my stepdad used to work as his assistant in 1973-74, but not on Checkers and Pogo. Professor Fun did a magic show in Waikiki, in a hotel across from the zoo. Frank Delima was working that hotel back in the 90's, not sure if he's still there.

    I remember all the cartoons they showed on Checkers and Pogo.

    Astro boy: Go go go Astro boy!
    Gigantor: The space age robot, he's at - your command!
    Princess Knight: A princess who posed as a prince, and her sidekick Choppy - a little cherub dressed as robin hood. Villains were the fat Duke Duralumon and Neelon with his huge nose.
    Speet Racer: with Sprytle, Chimchim, Trixie, Sparky, and the villainous Racer X.
    Sinbad the Sailor: Sinbad Jr, and Salty his parrot in their sailing adventures.
    Casper the friendly Ghost: with sidekicks Wendy and Spooky, and Casper's three mean brothers called the ghostly trio
    Underdog: With Sweet Polly Purebread, and villains Simon Bar Sinister and Riff Raff.
    Klondike Cat: "I'll make mincemeat outta that mouse!"
    Clutch Cargo, Scott McCloud Space Angel: stiff cartoons with creepy live action red lips
    The Banana Splits: Fleagle, Bingo, Drooper and Snorky. Checkers and Pogo later featured their own verison of the Splits, cheap copies of the four characters. Snorky looked like he was shaved! We went to at least one Checkers and Pogo event outside on a stage that included the Bannana Split clones. Maybe it was a 50th state fair?
    The Adventures of Gulliver: and his liliputian friends Flirtatia, Glum, Bunko, and Eager, with Captain Leech as the Villain.
    Huckleberry Finn: Live action mixed with cartoon. Huck, Tom Sawyer, and Becky were the live actors. Injun Joe was a cartoon along with the backgrounds.
    Danger Island: We used to play this in our yards as kids. My Hawaiian friend Darren was always Chongo. The skeleton men on the show creeped me out.
    The Mighty Heroes: Strong Man, Rope Man, Diaper Man, Tornado Man, and Cuckoo Man.
    Space Kiddettes: with Scooter and friends, and Captian Sky Hook as the villain.
    Super Chicken, Tom Slick, George of the Jungle, Mr. McGoo, Mighty Mouse, Popeye, Bullwinkle, Felix the Cat, Gumby
    Fearless Fly: Hyrum was his alter ego, and Horse Fly and Flori were his friends. Dr. Goo Fi (goofy) and his side kick Gung Ho were the villains.
    Milton the Monster: With Professor Weirdo and Count Kook, Heebie and Jeebie, and Abercrombie the zombie.
    Batfink: "My wings are like a shield of steel", and his sidekick Karate
    King Kong: You know the name of King Kong, you know the fame of King King, 10 times as big as a man
    The Mighty Hercules: sidekicks were Newton and Tewt, Helena, and Daedalus was the villain
    Beany and Cecil: With Uncle Captain, Crow, with villain DJ (Dishonest John) - "Nya ha haa"
    The Robonic Stooges: Mechanized versions of the famous slapstick trio
    Tom of T.H.U.M.B.: and his partner Swingin' Jack
    Stuffy Derma was a hobo - cartoon about a hobo that carried a sack on a stick and rode trains.
    On The Go: I can still picture the Hippo running at the camera in slow motion, and later the camera man walking with his arm in a sling!
    Let's Be Friends: "Hi, I'm Kalani. Let's be friends!" I think this was a mainland show brought in, I only remeber one or two people from Hawaii.

    Checkers and Pogo games:

    Cracker eating contest and whistle: mentioned in a previous post.

    Donut eating contest. Glazed donuts hung from a string and the kids had to eat it with their hands behind their backs. Blindfolded too, I think.

    Sit on the balloon and try to pop it. The bigger kid usually won. Sometimes if a really little kid couldn't pop his for several seconds, Pogo would go over and squeeze it for him!

    Sweep the ballon in a race back and forth. Those balloons would usually float loose and the kid had to go back with the broom to keep it going.

    Don't forget funny faces, where the cameras would pan the kids in the audience as they made funny faces and stretched there nostrils and mouths with their fingers!

    Remember the Nark Boobies? Little gopher puppets who popped out of the big hole in the tree and lip synced songs that were sped up? I remember them singing Ooga Chaka Ooga Ooga Ooga Chaka!

    Oh, and Super Spy and Arnold were played by the same guy, Jerry Cox, who also went by the psuedonym of Kim Chee!

    I did hear about kids throwing stuff like eggs at Checkers' car. I don't think the reason was being snubbed on the show, there was a several month long waiting list and eventually you got in. They repainted the car a few times, I think it started off as a black and white checkered design, later it went to black and yellow checkers, and that's the one I saw driving around one day.

    Then there were the Sky Slides - one was in Waipahu and one was in Mapunapuna. You grabbed a piece of carpet and ran up the stairs to the top, then rode the carpet down. One sky slide was multicolored like a rainbow, they later painted it all orange. The other sky slide was sky blue with thin red stripes. The first time I went on one I got slight burns on my ankles from touching the sides on the way down.

    There was a Checkers and Pogo special that aired in the 90's. I taped it as I'm sure many of you have. Just a bunch of highlights though, with local entertainers reminiscing. I just wish it had more show and less of the talk of what I already know! Kind of like watching VH1's I love the 70's, give me less of those talking idiots and more of the actual stuff. I don't need to hear some lame comedian telling me that Jaws is about a shark!

    I'd love to see Checkers and Pogo on dvd, but I'm afraid the demand isn't high enough.
    Last edited by PearlCityMike; January 27th, 2008 at 08:32 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Waipahu
    Posts
    176

    Default Re: Checkers and Pogo

    Quote Originally Posted by PearlCityMike View Post
    I have many memories of the Checkers and Pogo Show, which was a fixture in our house every day after school.
    There was a Checkers and Pogo special that aired in the 90's. I taped it as I'm sure many of you have. Just a bunch of highlights though, with local entertainers reminiscing. I just wish it had more show and less of the talk of what I already know! Kind of like watching VH1's I love the 70's, give me less of those talking idiots and more of the actual stuff. I don't need to hear some lame comedian telling me that Jaws is about a shark!

    I'd love to see Checkers and Pogo on dvd, but I'm afraid the demand isn't high enough.
    ===============
    The demand is there, the footage is not. But Kalihiboy might have something up his sleeve eh?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Checkers and Pogo

    Quote Originally Posted by PearlCityMike View Post
    They started on a stage with a black background, then went to a sub, then the Albatross, then a tree house.
    I don't remember the stage. I think there was something before the sub. Perhaps just a house.

    As for C&P products, I remember a round sticker. Also I think there was a clock radio that bore their likeness. (Or maybe it was just a clock radio with said sticker? It's been awhile.)

    Speet Racer: with Sprytle, Chimchim, Trixie, Sparky, and the villainous Racer X.
    Speed Racer - I don't think Racer X was a villain, just mysterious. And wasn't he actually SR's lost brother thought to be dead?

    The Adventures of Gulliver: and his liliputian friends Flirtatia, Glum, Bunko, and Eager, with Captain Leech as the Villain.
    Glum - "It will never work"

    Huckleberry Finn: Live action mixed with cartoon. Huck, Tom Sawyer, and Becky were the live actors. Injun Joe was a cartoon along with the backgrounds.
    I don't remember any cartoons in it.


    Beany and Cecil: With Uncle Captain, Crow, with villain DJ (Dishonest John) - "Nya ha haa"
    Help Cecil, Help!
    I'm coming Beany Boy!



    Don't forget Merry Unbirthday!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    65

    Default Re: Checkers and Pogo

    Quote Originally Posted by PearlCityMike View Post
    Oh, and Super Spy and Arnold were played by the same guy, Jerry Cox, who also went by the psuedonym of Kim Chee!
    Correcting my post - Super Spy and Sylvester were both played by Jerry Cox.

    Other C & P games:

    Stomp the balloon: A group of 5-6 kids with a balloon tied to one of their ankles with a string. Object was to stomp on each other's balloons and the kid with the surviving balloon won the game.

    Egg on a Spoon: Carry the egg on a spoon to the other side, pass the spoon to a partner who brings it back.

    Stuff the pillow: A couple of kids try to stuff it into the pillowcase, one takes it to the other side, pulls it out and a couple of kids try to restuff it.

    Friday is Pie Day: Each Friday Checkers and Pogo put their faces into the platform with the holes and the kid with the pie chose which one to splatter with the paper plate and whipped cream. (May have been shaving cream - not 100% sure). Once in a while Sylvester joined in and put his face in one of the holes.

    Pie eating contest: Kids sat at a table and stuck their faces into the pies to try to eat the most. This one made me hungry for pies. Liliha bakery?

    Watermelon eating contest: Same principal as the pie eating contest. No hands, diving in face first.

    Musical chairs: Didn't that fat kid always win in the end? Later he went on to the regionals!


    Other C & P cartoons:

    Luno: the winged horse
    Flukey Luke
    Last edited by PearlCityMike; February 3rd, 2008 at 06:23 AM.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Checkers and Pogo

    Quote Originally Posted by PearlCityMike View Post
    I I remember all the cartoons they showed on Checkers and Pogo.

    Astro boy: Go go go Astro boy!
    Gigantor: The space age robot, he's at - your command!
    Princess Knight: A princess who posed as a prince, and her sidekick Choppy - a little cherub dressed as robin hood. Villains were the fat Duke Duralumon and Neelon with his huge nose.
    Speet Racer: with Sprytle, Chimchim, Trixie, Sparky, and the villainous Racer X.
    Sinbad the Sailor: Sinbad Jr, and Salty his parrot in their sailing adventures.
    Casper the friendly Ghost: with sidekicks Wendy and Spooky, and Casper's three mean brothers called the ghostly trio
    Underdog: With Sweet Polly Purebread, and villains Simon Bar Sinister and Riff Raff.
    Klondike Cat: "I'll make mincemeat outta that mouse!"
    Clutch Cargo, Scott McCloud Space Angel: stiff cartoons with creepy live action red lips
    The Banana Splits: Fleagle, Bingo, Drooper and Snorky. Checkers and Pogo later featured their own verison of the Splits, cheap copies of the four characters. Snorky looked like he was shaved! We went to at least one Checkers and Pogo event outside on a stage that included the Bannana Split clones. Maybe it was a 50th state fair?
    The Adventures of Gulliver: and his liliputian friends Flirtatia, Glum, Bunko, and Eager, with Captain Leech as the Villain.
    Huckleberry Finn: Live action mixed with cartoon. Huck, Tom Sawyer, and Becky were the live actors. Injun Joe was a cartoon along with the backgrounds.
    Danger Island: We used to play this in our yards as kids. My Hawaiian friend Darren was always Chongo. The skeleton men on the show creeped me out.
    The Mighty Heroes: Strong Man, Rope Man, Diaper Man, Tornado Man, and Cuckoo Man.
    Space Kiddettes: with Scooter and friends, and Captian Sky Hook as the villain.
    Super Chicken, Tom Slick, George of the Jungle, Mr. McGoo, Mighty Mouse, Popeye, Bullwinkle, Felix the Cat, Gumby
    Fearless Fly: Hyrum was his alter ego, and Horse Fly and Flori were his friends. Dr. Goo Fi (goofy) and his side kick Gung Ho were the villains.
    Milton the Monster: With Professor Weirdo and Count Kook, Heebie and Jeebie, and Abercrombie the zombie.
    Batfink: "My wings are like a shield of steel", and his sidekick Karate
    King Kong: You know the name of King Kong, you know the fame of King King, 10 times as big as a man
    The Mighty Hercules: sidekicks were Newton and Tewt, Helena, and Daedalus was the villain
    Beany and Cecil: With Uncle Captain, Crow, with villain DJ (Dishonest John) - "Nya ha haa"
    The Robonic Stooges: Mechanized versions of the famous slapstick trio
    Tom of T.H.U.M.B.: and his partner Swingin' Jack
    Stuffy Derma was a hobo - cartoon about a hobo that carried a sack on a stick and rode trains.
    On The Go: I can still picture the Hippo running at the camera in slow motion, and later the camera man walking with his arm in a sling!
    Let's Be Friends: "Hi, I'm Kalani. Let's be friends!" I think this was a mainland show brought in, I only remeber one or two people from Hawaii.
    Pretty good list. But don't forget the Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies shorts. While many cartoons entered and exited C&P's programming rotation, these classic WB cartoons were a constant staple. Since the C&P show aired before the age of political correctness, they even showed titles which have been shunned by the likes of Cartoon Network/Nickelodeon due to racial stereotypes, like Bugs Bunny Nips The Nips and Tokio Jokio. (When I look back on it now, I'm kinda surprised that KGMB allowed young, impressionable kids to be exposed to all that outdated World War II propaganda.)

    Other favorites included Max, the 2000 year old mouse. (Lots of historical information in that one.) Also, the Marvel Comics cartoons from the 1960s. (Spider Man, Iron Man, Captain America, Incredible Hulk, Mighty Thor, and the Submariner.)
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Basse-Pointe, Martinique
    Posts
    696

    Default Re: Checkers and Pogo

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalihiboy
    I'm shocked that some people dont have those vhs or beta tapes sitting in an attic or something. I'd buy the tapes from anyone if they are offering or borrow them if I could.

    Mahalo!!!

    KalihiBoy
    Would this be of any interest to you or is this a tape that nearly everyone interested in the show probably has a copy of?

    Checkers and Pogo tape

  14. #14

    Default Re: Checkers and Pogo

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfingfarmboy
    Would this be of any interest to you or is this a tape that nearly everyone interested in the show probably has a copy of?

    Checkers and Pogo tape
    I saw that reran on KGMB a few times, for whatever reason perhaps to conserve space or tape KGMB didnt save hardly any of the shows, I think I was told they might only have a couple complete shows and fragments of some other shows that is it for a show that ran for 15 years on a daily basis right? Its a shame.

    That is why I was hoping SOMEONE out there would have tapes of the show lying around in the attic or something, but so far I've been looking for almost 10 years without any luck.

    I've also been on the lookout for beta and vhs tapes from the 1970's and early 80's looking for ANYTHING taped off of local tv it could include network tv shows, only catch is that the local ads remain intact. If ANYONE has stuff like that please let me know. I already have some stuff with Bob Sevey, some shows taped off of KITV circa 1982-1985, but looking for alot more stuff.

    Thanks! KalihiBoy

  15. #15

    Default Mr. Checkers (Jim Demarest) passes away

    A sad aloha to Mr. Checkers of Checkers & Pogo fame....

    http://kgmb9.com/kgmb/display.cfm?st...11688&sid=1183

    Aj

  16. #16
    kamuelakea Guest

    Default Re: Mr. Checkers (Jim Demarest) passes away

    Aloha Bruddah,

    I grew up wid U.

    Aloha

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    638

    Default Re: Mr. Checkers (Jim Demarest) passes away

    Quote Originally Posted by kamuelakea View Post
    Aloha Bruddah,

    I grew up wid U.

    Aloha

    Same here...
    I watched it heavily as a keed when I used to live at 1426 Liliha Street.
    Used to go to Likelike Elementary School and watched it b4 I went to skool.

    Mr. Checkers thanks for the memories that will forever live in my heart.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii USA
    Posts
    5,243

    Default Re: Mr. Checkers (Jim Demarest) passes away

    Pogo Pogue (Morgan White) did the show by himself for the last few years. I think the show was still called "Checkers and Pogo."

    Sad to hear of Mr. Demarest's passing. Condolences to the family.

    Here's a link to an old story from a few years back:
    http://starbulletin.com/1999/03/18/features/story4.html

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Posts
    9,518

    Default Re: Mr. Checkers (Jim Demarest) passes away

    I'm sad to hear of his passing too.

    I use to watch Checkers and Pogo too.

    Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Windward Oahu
    Posts
    1,248

    Default Re: Mr. Checkers (Jim Demarest) passes away

    I went to two Checkers and Pogo tapings when I was a kid.

    R.I.P. Mr. Checkers

  21. #21

    Default Re: Mr. Checkers (Jim Demarest) passes away

    WOW! How the heck did that miss getting more attention in the local news?

    Been on the show twice. (or was it three - way too long ago.) Watched it a lot.

    I wonder what the plans are for any memorials here? It could easily turn out to be a large event. Maybe bigger then Don Ho.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Mr. Checkers (Jim Demarest) passes away

    Mr. Checkers was also played by the late Dave "Moose" Donnelley (ex-Poi Boy DJ) and Jim "Weather Eyes" Hawthorne.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Mr. Checkers (Jim Demarest) passes away

    Quote Originally Posted by oceanpacific View Post
    Mr. Checkers was also played by the late Dave "Moose" Donnelley (ex-Poi Boy DJ) and Jim "Weather Eyes" Hawthorne.
    True. But from the dates, Jim would be the closest to being "the" Mr. Checkers. The others didn't stay on that long. Only a little over a year between the two of them. Jim did it for 11 years.

  24. #24

    Default The original Mr. Checkers Jim Hawthorne dies

    Just got this from Jim's sons, Hawthorne was co-creater of "Checkers & Pogo", in addition to being the first Mr. Checkers, KGMB will cover his life and accomplishments on the news tonight:

    http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/1545/76/

    Aj

    "It is with a heavy heart that inform you fans of the passing of our Father, Jim Hawthorne. He died this afternoon shortly after visiting with him at the Buena Vista Care Center in Goleta, CA. He was sedated, but was able to say a few words.

    It did not appear that he was in any pain, it was just his time.

    More details as they become available, thank you all for your fanship of our
    Dad."

    Darr & Scott Hawthorne

  25. #25

    Default Checkers & Pogo: Anyone remember...

    During Checkers and Pogo there was a show who's tag line was "Let's be friends". I remember there were at least two kids that were in Hawaii. Does anyone remember the title of the show. Does anyone know if the Hawaii segments are on youtube? Does anyone remember who that boy was?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •