Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Checkers and Pogo

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
    Those were characters along with Cuckoo Man and others from "The Mighty Heroes" cartoon series which came originally from the "Mighty Mouse" cartoon series.
    Must have been after my time. I don't remember that at all.

Now, if you want to have fun, how about remembering the different sets that C&P used to have?

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
      Now, if you want to have fun, how about remembering the different sets that C&P used to have?
      The albatross and the tree house.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I seem to remember a submarine. Or was the Albatross capable of underwater?

I think the first one was just a house. Sort of like a tree house, but not quite the same as the one they ended on.

Comment

Nice to remember this show. I remember "Sylvester the Janitor" (the Fun Factory guy, who also played SuperSpy)... eating donuts off the string...and the oreo cookie in the paper plate full of whipped cream... the handful of pennies from the jar for the unbirthday winner. Also, the contest for the ugliest face. And the orchestra sound effect when a pie hitting someone in the face! On the Go! with the angry Hippo mama and baby (and a broken cameraman's arm). Mr. Mac and Freckles. The cartoons, too... All good times...

What was the name of the yellow bug (hand puppet) who liked to eat only Limburger cheese? (This was from da later Pogo/treehouse days, when Pogo Poge loved popcorn and ice cubes, and had the 'putt putt putt putt - nothing' blue transistor radio/tv he watched the cartoons on.) Aloha!

Comment

Originally posted by Keaiwa View Post
            Also, the contest for the ugliest face.
            I thought it was funniest. (Not that any of them where pretty)

You forgot the cracker eating contest - eat a whole cracker and be the first to whistle.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
              You forgot the cracker eating contest - eat a whole cracker and be the first to whistle.
              That's right! That's where that came from, I remember that! What a mess that studio must have been with pies and crackers, etc.
              Aloha,
              Evelyn
              Homespun Honolulu

Comment

Was a segment called "Let's be Friends" on Checkers and Pogo or a series on the news? I remember a girl from our school was the star of one segment showing kids from around the state.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                  Was a segment called "Let's be Friends" on Checkers and Pogo or a series on the news? I remember a girl from our school was the star of one segment showing kids from around the state.
                  There were actually a couple of episodes about Hawaii in that "Friends" series. One had a boy who talked about Oahu. Another one had a girl from Maui. This was over 30 years ago, so if you see those shows now (esp. the one filmed on Maui), you can't help but realize how radically different an experience it was to grow up in Hawaii during the 1970s compared to the environment that kids are exposed to today.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                    Professor as in Professor Fun. He would come in once a week to make balloon animals, maybe a magic trick. He might have filled in for either Checkers or Pogo at a time. Then in the early 1980's he would do a TV spot called TV Pow or something like that (I can't remember if another thread here in Hawaiithreads or HawaiiStories discusses about Professor Fun).

And then you have the other supporting cast of characters like the arch nemesis Super Spy McPig or the station owner's nephew Sonny Heftel who came across as the pain in the rear end to Checkers and Pogo. I also remember a bunch of other characters that had the last name of McPig but they wasn't as frequent as Super Spy.

For the cartoons, the usual mix of Popeye and Warner Bros cartoons. They also had Captain Scarlet and Thunderbirds puppet series. I remember a cartoon series called Priceness Knight and Giantor.

Some years they had a running storyline for the show in between the cartoons and games for the kids.
                    My older brothers would point out that you didn't see Super Spy and Cec Heftel's nephew at the same time? Was his name Sonny or Sylvester? Didn't they use split screen to show them at the same time? They made the nephew from a spoil brat to being likeable.

Comment

The original Mr. Checkers Jim Hawthorne dies

Just got this from Jim's sons, Hawthorne was co-creater of "Checkers & Pogo", in addition to being the first Mr. Checkers, KGMB will cover his life and accomplishments on the news tonight:

http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/1545/76/

Aj

"It is with a heavy heart that inform you fans of the passing of our Father, Jim Hawthorne. He died this afternoon shortly after visiting with him at the Buena Vista Care Center in Goleta, CA. He was sedated, but was able to say a few words.

It did not appear that he was in any pain, it was just his time.

More details as they become available, thank you all for your fanship of our
                      Dad."

Darr & Scott Hawthorne

Comment

Checkers & Pogo: Anyone remember...

During Checkers and Pogo there was a show who's tag line was "Let's be friends". I remember there were at least two kids that were in Hawaii. Does anyone remember the title of the show. Does anyone know if the Hawaii segments are on youtube? Does anyone remember who that boy was?
                        just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Re: Checkers & Pogo: Anyone remember...

I asked a couple of my colleagues who were at KGMB during those years...no luck. It didn't ring a bell with them. Someone else?
                          Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine!

Comment

Re: Checkers and Pogo-Friends?

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                            There were actually a couple of episodes about Hawaii in that "Friends" series. One had a boy who talked about Oahu. Another one had a girl from Maui. This was over 30 years ago, so if you see those shows now (esp. the one filmed on Maui), you can't help but realize how radically different an experience it was to grow up in Hawaii during the 1970s compared to the environment that kids are exposed to today.
                            ==========================
                            I don't remember that on C&P. But I remember something like what you describe on PBS. Perhaps on Sesame st.? I do remember a series of 15 minute fillers at KHET that has kids talking about life in their particular country or community.

Dave

Comment

The only show within C&P that I remember was "on the go". But that doesn't sound quite right for that as it tended to focus on things and places rather then people and relationships.

Comment

Sesame Street came here to film an episode I saw it on Noggin about 5 years ago, they interviewed local kids as I recall too.

Aj

Comment

Working...
                                X