Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Sevey

Off the Checkers & Pogo thread...

On duty for the 'Bull, I had the opportunity to shoot Bob Sevey a while back (http://starbulletin.com/2004/08/29/news/story2.html). It was a total trip. As a kid I remember him being the "Walter Cronkite" of Hawaii. So, to actually see him in real life, I was blown away. It was like some sort of twisted flashback experience. His voice and mannerisms were just as I remembered them. And he was a really cool guy. I was telling his wife "man, you don't know how cool this is to shoot this guy... I remember watching him religiously as a kid, and now, here I am in the same room with him..."

I guess maybe you had to be there, but it was way cool. Hell, I shook his hand!

Re: Bob Sevey

Originally posted by dick
    I remember him being the "Walter Cronkite" of Hawaii.
    Some of you old-timers may recall that on the days when Cronkite was not on set the fill-in anchor would say "Walter Cronkite is on assignment", quite often with a bit of a smile on their face.
    Do you know why?
    (pause)
    (pause)
    (pause)
    (pause)
    Cronkite, an avid sailor, owned a sailboat named "Assignment".

To get back on topic... congrats on your experience with Sevey!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Re: Bob Sevey

Insiders from the golden days of KGMB (Coble, etc.) call Sevey "Cap" as in, Captain. Unknown if that's because he too, is an avid sailor, or because he was the captain of the No. 1 ship in the TV news biz at the time, or both.

Speaking of captains -- I once saw my brilliant GM (the "brilliant" is heartfelt, not sarcastic), Earl McDaniel, come into the K59 newsroom (as was his wont, on occasion), on a Saturday, wearing a particular type of hat. I asked him about what type of hat it was, to which he replied that it was a Greek boating hat. I asked if he had a Greek boat. The man, who had been on KPOP-AM LA in its circa 1950s hey day -- and who had appeared on the cover of a KPOP "Greatest Hits" LP in a tux along with his co-worker-jox -- said, without skipping a beat, "Only when I back up."

There was for a time, a picture of "Earl the Pearl" on the K59 studio hallway bulletin board, alongside Elvis and Col. Tom Parker, also taken back in the day.

The last time I saw Earl and his bride Ellie (she looked FABULOUS), was a year or two back at a P&P anniversary breakfast broadcast. The reunion and the company was far superior to the food -- which was only cold when I finally ate it because I was too busy catching up and reminiscing!
      I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Working...
      X