Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Local TV Jingles From Yesteryear

Originally posted by SouthKona
    it's not an ad, but does anyone else remember the song from the summer of probably '71, which questioned "timothy, timothy, where on earth have you gone". it was about a cave-in or some such thing, and when the survivors were rescued, no trace of timothy was to be found....
    i think it was only played in hawaii, nobody from the mainland that i know ever heard it.
    That was a song that was played all over America, not sure how high it peaked, but the lyrics go as this:

Timothy
    The Buoys

Trapped in a mine all paths caved in
    And everyone knows the only ones left
    Were Joe and me and Tim
    When they broke through to pull us free
    The only ones left to tell the tale
    WAS Joe and me

Timothy, Timothy, where on earth did you go?
    Timothy, Timothy, God why don't I know?

Hungry as hell no food to eat
    And Joe said that he would sell his soul
    For just a piece of meat
    Water enough to drink TO DRINK for two
    And Joe said to me, "I'll TAKE a swig
    And then there's some for you."

Timothy, Timothy, Joe was looking at you
    Timothy, Timothy, God what did we do?

I must have blacked out just 'round then
    'Cause the very next thing that I could see
    Was the light of the day again
    My stomach was full as it could be
    And nobody ever got around
    To finding Timothy
    Timothy...

Comment

Kalihiboy you're good! I kinda remembered it but wasn't sure. Anyway's thanks too. I guess tim was eaten so the other two could survive.

Now I going moimoi and dream about the lyrics and what it represents...canibalism for survival!
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

gawd, I remember that song. ho da flashback. Was about 16 or so. I remember it playing while washing dishes at International house of pancakes Waiakamilo and Dillingham. It's still there, but it's a non corporate mom and pop pancake house, now.

The song was written by twenty year old Rupert Holmes and was within the top twenty nationwide back in 71, and was no. 1 in some cities here and there.
        The kid set out to write something controversial, not expecting it to be a hit, but moreso, mostly for publicity so his band could get signed.
        Last edited by kimo55; June 22, 2005, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Yes, "Timothy" the song was not a jingle. It was a Billboard Top 100 hit that peaked I believe at #12 in 1971 and was a number one hit locally on KKUA radio 69 AM. For the year 1971, "Timothy" ended up being #5 on that year's KKUA Top 69. You can view that old chart at this link from the Hawaii Radio & Television Guide Archive site.

The Buoys went on to have 2 more minor top 40 hits including "Give Up Your Guns", a great story song that went to #88 in late 1971 and "Don't Try To Run" in 1972 or 73.

The song "Timothy" was written in part by Rupert Holmes who was not a member of The Buoys, but did score a huge #1 hit himself with "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)" in late 1979.

I am always open for discussion on Hawaii's Top 40 hits from the 1960s and 70s at this link. Some of the best pop and rock hits were recorded at this time, IMO.

Now let's get back to regular programming on "Local TV Jingles from Yesteryear".
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Remember that gawd-awful "Muhi Us!" commercial with Frank DeLima and the ill-rhymed poem:

We we get bit upon our knee
            by a mosquito or a flea,
            we do not cry, oh no, not us,
            we tell out moomy "Muhi Us!"

...yeeesh, how do spots like that get the green light?
            Don't be mean,
            try to help.

Comment

Muhi Us....Yes, bad, BUT, after all these years, you still remember it.

Seems to me the message got through!

Unfortunately, being bad or annoying is an effective way to advertise.

Current case in point is "That's My Bank!"

Years from now, we'll still remember that annoying guy.....

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy
                Unfortunately, being bad or annoying is an effective way to advertise.
                ah yes. the end justifies the means.

Comment

Personally I think "that's my bank" was an absolute moment of genius. Simple/Local/Memorable...I know it's chic to look down on lowbrow localisms. But I wish I was the ad guy that thought of that.

Comment

Don't get me wrong either....I wish I came up with something like that too!

By annoying, I mean that it's been played so many times (I think the campaign is at least two years old now?) that it's annoying.

Comment

but not his bank.

ya think the "message got through" ?

here's da thing.
                      This commercial may get stuck in my mind, but so does an image of someone getting hit by a bus.
                      Can't seem to shake it no matter how much I want to.

It's very uncomfortable. Not pleasing to any of the senses.

and IF.. I ever accidentally learn what da hell this guy's bank IS, I will make a pointed effort to steer very clear of it, lest I, to any degree, help support the success of this bank and further their sadistic media/advertising tv pollution efforts.
                      Which is the very generous perspective I have on the audible and visual abrasion this guy's screechy voice and smarmy visage offers the innocent bystander.

I may be wrong here, but my understanding of advertising was to help the public remember a particular product or service. And to be attracted to it. And to want it.
                      NOT create a whole other cottage industry of head bobbers and mini-media clowns.
                      Last edited by kimo55; June 24, 2005, 03:46 PM.

Comment

I honestly can't recall what bank the commercial is promoting. But I do remember the annoying guy .

Comment

Hunt no more Kimo 55 The annoying guy "lives" at all the Bank Of Hawaii branches LOL.

Comment

Bank of Hawaii... still miss those Harry ads. Those were pretty memorable.

Comment

Hey I like the Frank DeLima taxi cab ads. I also liked the Watershed ads from a few years ago.

KalihiBoy

Comment

OK you Generation Kikaida guys. I know you're out there. There is a vintage early-1970s KIKU-TV commercial jingle that I can't get out of my head tonight -- but I can't remember all the words, either!

It was for a local pest control company -- either termites or cockroaches, I can't recall which. There was a really cheesy low budget animation of a dancing bug. It might have even been a paper-and-stick puppet.

The singsongy Japanese lyrics, sung by a woman, went something like this, although I am probably butchering them:

Na-n-da nan-da
                                Na-n-da nan-da
                                A nan-na oi-ta
                                A nan-na oi-ta
                                DAH-dah dah-dah
                                DAH-dah dah-dah
                                Dah-dah-daah-daah! *

* can't remember these at all, except the beat

And then there was a short passage of spoken Japanese, followed by the company name.

What company was this, and does anybody remember all the lyrics, correctly? And can I dare hope for a translation as well?

Comment

Working...
                                X