Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Local TV Jingles From Yesteryear

Originally posted by lavagal
    Well, while we're all waiting to see what Tutusue has to write to Jim Winpenny[...]
    Jim did a little sleuthing and emailed me direct! I kinda thought it was him! And neither of us can remember the name of a really great guy! Dang!

Jim...I've not seen Graham in years. I bump into Pete every other year or so. The last time you and I saw each other was loooooooong before I became a tutu...hence, tutusue! I sat with Davo at a dinner party last night. Is he pre or post you?! The faces of local advertising have sure changed over the years, haven't they! And, they are continuing to change as I type! The music, too.

Hopefully you'll have some time to play in HT!

Comment

I remember this from the mid-50s when TV was first available to the Big Island. We had only one station back then, Channel 9, so there was no fighting for programs.

Wilbur thought he was mighty wise
      He'd get the cheapest re-cap buys
      But, he hadn't traveled very far
      When he noticed a bumping in his car
      Sure enough, one tire was square
      But, his troubles didn't end there
      The other's gave out, one, two, there
      Next time, it's Tire Re-Cap for me.

NARRATOR: Tire Re-Cap Service, 2536 South Beretania Street, one block townside of University Avenue.

Their sign incorporated a "giant" tire. Tire Re-Cap later moved to Kakaako and Burger King now sits on their former Moiliili site.

How about this one?

My sister was a singer
      She made a lot of noise
      The neighbors kept complaining
      About her adenoids
      One day, no one was looking
      A shot rang through the air
      And when they picked her up, she said
      "Handle me with care"
      Moving with Smyth, the smoother mover
      Smyth, not Smith, the smoother mover
      No matter how they move me
      They'll handle me so smoothly
      Smyth, not Smith
      Smyth, not Smith
      Smyth the smoother mover.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific
        My sister was a singer
        She made a lot of noise
        The neighbors kept complaining
        About her adenoids
        One day, no one was looking
        A shot rang through the air
        And when they picked her up, she said
        "Handle me with care"
        Moving with Smyth, the smoother mover
        gawd. the tune popped into my head just as I read the lyrics.
        had one cute animated cartoon to go with it too.

Comment

Remember this short ditty?

Sunstar, strawberry, Sunstar, banana .......

Fruit-flavored toothpaste??????????

Sung by a very young Sydette Sakauye, later in the Liz Damon & the Orient Express line-up.

Regarding Tire Re-Cap: when I finally saw it in person at age 20, I was disappointed as I expected a real big-time operation. Things and places look a lot bigger and more expansive when you're younger, shorter, and smaller.

I wonder when Tire Re-Cap and Smyth went out of business.

Question: anyone remember who called himself "the poor man's friend?" He had a lot of commercials and hosted a weekend afternoon movie program.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific
            Question: anyone remember who called himself "the poor man's friend?" He had a lot of commercials and hosted a weekend afternoon movie program.
            lippy espinda.
            still seen about once a week on old hawaii 5-0 eps.

Comment

SHAKA, Brah!

Lippy was a riot at the weekly Honolulu Quarterback Club meetings. His used car TV commercials were classics. As were the Joe Nicolai Wholesale Motors ads on 50th State Wrestling. OHHH, YEAH!

Comment

lippy would say, check out my movie this week.
                It's shakkkaaaa, brah!
                with a smile and a wink.

he said that once on Hawaii 5-0 with a custom shaka hand sign.

steveo asked him
                how you doin?
                he replied
                shakaaa!

surprised me.

a few times steve mcgarrett closed an ep throwing the shaka and you can tell he was not used to doing it.
                Last edited by kimo55; July 26, 2006, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Speaking of the old House of Adler ads....I'm watching the commercial right now with locations on the 12th floor of the Pan Am Building/Pearlridge Phase II and Waipahu at GEM's....this is from 1986.

KalihiBoy

Comment

I taped a lot of UH football and basketball games from 1981 onward. It's a gas watching the commercials, especially from companies that no longer exist. They are sometimes more entertaining than the games.

Malcom Love for TIRE WAREHOUSE - "Go Hawaii;"
                    Russ Francis and Melveen Leed for AMERICAN SAVINGS ???;
                    Ben and Gloria Tamashiro (Harry and Myra) for BANKOH;
                    WESTERN AIRLINES ...... "It's the only way to fly!"

Several of my high school classmates have been on local commercials. For BANKOH, it was Earl Ikeda and his dad, Shiro, of Hilo Macaroni Factory, home of the Saloon Pilot and Hilo Creme crackers ("What's the secret?" "There is no secret." ....... ). At FHB, it was "Magoo" Akamine of Magoo's Auto Parts ("Magoo had a dream ....."). Back in the '70s, another classmate lounged in the background clad in a very revealing bikini for Ikeda Electronics. There were no affordable consumer VCRs back then. DARN IT!

Comment

The ad with the dollar bill being pass around from person to person, anyone remember circa when that came out and what was it for? Was it for the Hawaii Convention & Tourist Bureau, Buy Hawaii, etc.?

KalihiBoy

Comment

The ad you refer to is the one about the $20 bill. It was for the then HVB... no Convention Center yet.... roughly this aired around 1983 - 84. The point was that the $20 bill spent by a tourist exchanged hands many times in a day, week from tourist to business to worker to mommy to children to tutu and whoever... I thought it was a good ad to drive home the point that the tourist industry was important for Hawaii.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Was this ad filmed and updated more than once, my wife's cousin claimed the ad aired in 1976-1977 timeframe as her cousin was in the ad as a little girl and my wife also thinks the ad might have re-aired or with different actors in the late 80's too.

KalihiBoy

Comment

I believe the first one was about a $10 bill and later revised with the $20. Must have been inflation ............

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                              The ad you refer to is the one about the $20 bill. It was for the then HVB... no Convention Center yet.... roughly this aired around 1983 - 84. The point was that the $20 bill spent by a tourist exchanged hands many times in a day, week from tourist to business to worker to mommy to children to tutu and whoever... I thought it was a good ad to drive home the point that the tourist industry was important for Hawaii.
                              Yeah, basically, the commercial started off with a tourist using a $20 to pay a cab driver at the airport. The cabbie then spent that $20 at a lunch wagon. The lunch wagon driver used that as part of his payment to one of his suppliers. It then showed the supplier paying an employee. The employee then "spent it on someone special." (New roller skates for his smiling daughter).

I don't remember the sponsor of that ad. But the slogan was, "Tourism. It works for all of us."

And Mel is right. That commercial was created in the early 1980s, right during the roller skating craze. The commercial stuck around for awhile, tho.
                              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market
                                And Mel is right. That commercial was created in the early 1980s, right during the roller skating craze. The commercial stuck around for awhile, tho.
                                In the eighties... I bought a pair of skates "imported" from the mainland for $20. they didn't last. and the fad didn't stick around for a while.
                                So I punched a tourist and he gave me $20.

Comment

Working...
                                X