The Afternoon Drive Traffic Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Afternoon Drive Traffic Reports

The Afternoon Drive is a major day part for Hawai'i radio.

When most people get in the car on the way home from work, they turn on the radio for....?

I've heard that folks want to hear the traffic reports in order to make the ride home the smoothest. Others could give a rip about traffic reports because your gonna be stuck in it regardless of what they say on the radio

How important is the traffic report to you?

What's most the important out of your radio on the afternoon drive home?

Traffic, Music, Jokes, or other?

Holla at a playa!
    (translation:
    "speak your mind")

-vic
    Enjoy this moment. This moment is your life.

Re: The Afternoon Drive Traffic Reports

I take TheBus so listening to the radio is not really an option even with earphones/headphones.

But as usual my co-worker still listens to KSSK in the afternoon. One thing I do notice is that the DJ tends to banter a lot with the traffic person who seems to be off in some remote location from the DJ.

Comment

I don't listen to the drivetime DJs; they're annoying. For me, it's NPR's All Things Considered. Or if the news is too dreary, it's time for a CD. Lately I've been listening to Savage Night by The Blue Hawaiians.

Comment

Another KHPR/KIPO listener here. The afternoon block is more a mixed bag for me than their morning programming... half the time I follow the national/Canadian newsfeed, half the time I hang around on KIPO for their local stuff (Town Square, ThinkTech Hawaii, etc.). Yesterday I caught "Waiting for Linda," a valiant attempt at radio drama that, I think, could've used a few more drafts at the writers' meeting before hitting the air.

I do have to tune to a commercial station, however, if I want to know what's going on with traffic, usually KSSK (Jason Yotsuda from the Honolulu City & County's Traffic Management Center... what a mouthful!).

Heh! I just found the city's "Traffa-Razzi" page, featuring Yotsuda, Danielle Tucker and Tony Scott! No station affiliations listed, though. And here's a nice profile on traffic reporters in the Advertiser.

I guess airborne traffic reports have gone the way of the dodo... I'll never forget you, Captain Irwin!

Comment

My commutes to and from work are not very far, so I don't rely too much on the traffic reports in either timeslot. That said, I am quite a loyal listener to my morning radio but afternoon it is a different story. I am usually all over the dial in as to whatever I want to listen to. I'm either on KGMZ 107.9, The Big Kahuna 105. 9, Michael Savage at 990 AM, and sometimes I'm on KTUH (with no traffic report) or KHCM country music... like I said, I'm all over the dial depending on the day and my mood... and my traffic commute is short in the afternoon and by the time I get home I usually want to watch the TV news after having the radio on for most of the day in my office.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

>>vic wrote: Others could give a rip about traffic reports because your gonna be stuck in it regardless of what they say on the radio>>

Yeah, I agree.

Helicopter reports are especially useless. The information they give is too vague. Anyone who's lived on Oahu can tell you H-1 and H-2 is "solid".. at ANY TIME of DAY. Not just rush hour.

Oahu's GRIDLOCKED road conditions makes traffic "reporting" futile at best.

Once I have wireless internet access available in my car, I'd hook-up a G4 PowerBook and keep my browser bookmarked to the City and County of Honolulu traffic cam site. Then I'd have a real picture at REAL TIME. That would work!
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I had the pleasure of working Airborne Traffic with "Tony Scott" for a while. Very interesting flying a small plane all over the island, mostly between the H-1/H-2 merge and Hawaii Kai, but occasionally much farther out. The updrafts and thermals over the ridges really threw that plane around, but the views were incredible. It was definitely Mr. Toad's Wild Ride up there. I have to give Tony a lot of credit: he was doing a live report every 6 minutes for two hours at a pop, he had to remember which station he was talking to and which name he was using, he had to be listening to and talking to the tower at the airport, flying the plane, watching for other planes and helicopters... all at the same time, and he always had a perfect grasp of all of it. Amazing guy, and I hope he and the family are doing well in (I think) Seattle.
              One of the things he showed me was the tiny little valley behind a ridge near Hawaii Loa where Capt. Irwin (allegedly) used to set down his helicopter and kick back, turning on the helicopter rotors while on the ground to make it sound like he was in the air during his reports.
              Anyway, it's a bit harder to justify traffic reports these days due to the easy accessibility of seeing the traffic cams ourselves either on TV or in the internet. I usually check out the internet cams before going somewhere on the freeways.
              On a somewhat related note, the internet also seems to make radio and TV surf reports pretty darned obsolete, eh?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                I take TheBus so listening to the radio is not really an option even with earphones/headphones.
                Helen, I take TheBus also. I have a walkman AM/FM radio, and I listen to it while I am riding TheBus. I pretty much have the walkman tuned to Original Hits KUMU AM 1500 for my Adult Standards fix. Whenever TheBus stops due to traffic, I tune my walkman to KUMU Lite 94.7 to find out why there is traffic. I recommend that you purchase a walkman and listen to it while you are riding TheBus. Speaking of walkmans, I think it would be nice if there were a walkman that receives satellite radio.

Comment

An article in today's Advertiser covered HPD's newest addition to the City and County of Honolulu traffic website.

This collateral site now receives up-to-the-minute reports directly from their dispatch center. It reports motor vehicle collisions (MVC's), stalls, and other snarls or hazards. It lists the incidents by date, time, type, address, location and area. The site automatically "refreshes" every 30 seconds. There's also a link at the bottom to the traffic-cam site.

So before you depart your home, office or school, just hop on the net first, get an update of your route, then plan accordingly. The site is also accessible (as text only) from internet-enabled wireless phones.

http://www4.co.honolulu.hi.us/hpdtraffic
                  Last edited by Pomai; May 24, 2004, 07:38 AM. Reason: typo'
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

wow that is incredible!
                    thanks for the link!

ima save that as one of my favorites right now!

thanks again!

-vic

Enjoy this moment. This moment is your life.

Comment

Originally posted by slickvic

When most people get in the car on the way home from work, they turn on the radio for....?

I've heard that folks want to hear the traffic reports in order to make the ride home the smoothest. Others could give a rip about traffic reports because your gonna be stuck in it regardless of what they say on the radio

Holla at a playa!
                      (translation:
                      "speak your mind")

-vic
                      Unless it's a station constantly branded as "Hawaii's Information station, 10 minute traffic etc..." I gather that people like less traffic info. (In the afternoons.) Traffic is kind-of common sense now-a-days... All messed up. C'mon, unless it's something BIG, the traffic reports say basically the same thing everyday. Everyone I talk to says: the less clutter the better. Get them home with music and the personality!

A.C.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                        I had the pleasure of working Airborne Traffic with "Tony Scott" for a while. Very interesting flying a small plane all over the island, mostly between the H-1/H-2 merge and Hawaii Kai, but occasionally much farther out. The updrafts and thermals over the ridges really threw that plane around, but the views were incredible. It was definitely Mr. Toad's Wild Ride up there. I have to give Tony a lot of credit: he was doing a live report every 6 minutes for two hours at a pop, he had to remember which station he was talking to and which name he was using, he had to be listening to and talking to the tower at the airport, flying the plane, watching for other planes and helicopters... all at the same time, and he always had a perfect grasp of all of it. Amazing guy, and I hope he and the family are doing well in (I think) Seattle.
                        I had heard that Tony was movining to the mainland, also, but check out
                        the following link:
                        www.co.honolulu.hi.us/dts/traffa_razzi.htm
                        Is that the same Tony Scott?
                        He's still in Hawaii?

Comment

Nimitz Highway is completely closed in the 'ewa-bound direction at Sand Island Access Road.........

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...350169478.html

Comment

Originally posted by slickvic View Post

Holla at a playa!
                            (translation:
                            "speak your mind")

-vic

hey, vic, you're da bomb, baby! done any booty dooty lately?

maybe my opinion won't count so much, since my commute is basically between kaimuki and liliha or makiki and liliha, and most of the time i leave for work at 9:00 a.m. and come home after 6:00 p.m. (traffic anyway, even at that hour, esp going diamond head up until the punahou offramp). but i hate traffic with a passion (hence my slightly wierd hours at work) and therefore i do like knowing if there are any extraordinary traffic problems (water main breaks on ward, extra heavy gridlock thru downtown on first fridays, traffic due to UH game stuff...that sort of thing). i work and go to school so sometimes i'm not always aware of what's going on around town that might affect commute times.

also, even tho dave hisaka's traffic spiel is virutally the same every day, he's gotten to be a little more entertaining, esp now that with taka on another station, he's eliminated the "taka, you're gay" jokes. i almost called in on cool e's show yesterday to say that dave's sexy traffic was rather amusing (not that i didn't already know geeks can be sexy). but then again, sexy traffic was all about fluff, nothing substantial.
                            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Good old Slick Vic...where you been?
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                              X