Radio Free Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Radio Free Hawaii

Great threads down memory lane. I used to be at KTUH (Sat night Reggae show) right before Radio Free started - lots of same people at KTUH were part of that group. Good going ya'll. RESPECT!

I don't know if you heard... but there is a small station on Maui 100watts called Manao Radio. Commercial free - listener supported. Many of the DJs are musicians on the island - very eclectic, political, very open minded. Best of all nobody to tell you what to play. Only music, community announcements and opinions. Every 4 - 6 hours the djs change so the music changes. Its been going now for about 3 years and has to be one of the most listened to stations on this island. People can't live without it (kinda like how radio free Hawaii was).

You can check Manao Radio online at manaoradio.com or if you have a super antenna it is 91.5 FM. I'm spinning on Fridays 6am - 10am (world, nue jazz, raggae, ska, funk, and weird stuff sometimes).

Long live FREE radio!

Rich T

Comment

Originally posted by mel
      ... There is a movie in the making based somewhat on Radio Free Hawaii. The movie is being produced by an independent firm called TalkStory Productions. They have a nice little graphic on their website and a click away is a brief description of the movie that bears the name of this radio station. Hawaii Business magazine ran this articleabout the movie and mostly about the firm producing it.
      It'd be great to have a proper RFH movie or (even better) a documentary. Somebody get Edgy Lee on this!

BTW: i got an e-mail last year via my site (it hasn't been updated for a number of years, so it came as a pleasant surprise) from "Robin Hood". i guess he was feeling a bit nostalgic for his RFH days and somehow found his way to it - the same way i found this thread/site . Here's his website:
      ARCANE TIMES ~ the art of Cheyenne Wright

What Mo' sed: "You're such a lovely audience... LOVE YOU ALLL!!!"
      Last edited by RaM1; November 22, 2004, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Hey kids,

If I remember correctly, the club in the Kodak building was called the Factory. Fantastic place, for a while. Also, just my $0.02 - the programming on RFH really began to suffer when they started taking email ballots.

alohaz,

-K
        I am Jack's absent signature.

Comment

Yeah, that was The Faktory (also with a K, if I remember correctly)

... and Skankin' Pickle is from my hometown in Campbell, CA (as is Lars from Rancid) and they played their my very first weekend in Hawaii. Nice surprise.

as for Kathy with a K asking about bands/venues these days... Pink Cadillac is still around... and Club Pauahi in downtown is pretty active... but for all the latest, check out my website!
          808shows.com / 808PhotoVault.com / Hawaiian Express Records...

Comment

Re: more on the Kodak Building

Junk Music studios was upstairs in a big section of the Kodak Building... until the whole place was demolished!

We did the "Punk Party Series" there...

BYOB, 2 bands play, everything is recorded, $4 to get in, free CD included when available!

Good times... take care...

Comment

Originally posted by 808shows.com
              Yeah, that was The Faktory (also with a K, if I remember correctly)

... and Skankin' Pickle is from my hometown in Campbell, CA (as is Lars from Rancid) and they played their my very first weekend in Hawaii. Nice surprise.

as for Kathy with a K asking about bands/venues these days... Pink Cadillac is still around... and Club Pauahi in downtown is pretty active... but for all the latest, check out my website!
              With a K, huh? Come to think of it, I don't think I ever saw it written down. Nice one man.

That Skanking Pickle show was awesome. My favorite Faktory memory was when Angelo Moore dropped by on a ska night. I almost had a heart attack trying to keep up with him on the dance floor. At one point, they stopped the music, and we all gathered around as he read a bunch of his "Dr. Madd Vibe" poetry. As you say dude, good times. What the hell happened?

Incidentally, I lived in Campbell while I was in cali for the internet gold rush - just down the street from Rasputin's.

Comment

checked out/bookmarked your 808shows.com. thanks.

is there a thread or site that shows the lineage of the zines/shows/bands/club kidds that played through the years? I'm talking from just before Broken Man and Luau Guys at the BackDoor through Elvis77 at Revolution Cafe to current faves Go Jimmy Go and Ooklah the Moc. Hmmm, sounds like a fun project...perhaps a sequel to "No Place to Play"???

Comment

reply #1: yeah, I have the flyer somewhere but remember it from a spray paint stencil on the wall as you walked in... and as for Campbell, Nice! I lived about 5 miles west of there when all we had was the Tower down the block... road my BMX to see if I could find any good punk rock records and save a day long journey up to Berkeley for way better stores!

reply #2: cool, welcome... don't think anybody has a lineage anywhere but it would be cool to see all the band member incest !!

have a great day everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by Kathy w/a "K"
                    checked out/bookmarked your 808shows.com. thanks.

is there a thread or site that shows the lineage of the zines/shows/bands/club kidds that played through the years? I'm talking from just before Broken Man and Luau Guys at the BackDoor through Elvis77 at Revolution Cafe to current faves Go Jimmy Go and Ooklah the Moc. Hmmm, sounds like a fun project...perhaps a sequel to "No Place to Play"???
                    Man, that would be a fantastic project - I wanted to do a documentary on the golden age of the Hawaii "alternative" scene for a while - but I personally don't have any media (home videos, pics, etc) that would make a project like that work well. Also, bunch of the main characters have left the islands over the years, so they would be pretty hard to track down for interviews.

Kathy, I like the idea of compiling a reference for that kind of thing. It seems like a wiki would be an excellent way to organize that kind of information, and let people add to the content. Maybe a section on 808shows.com? It would be fun to trace some of the band hoppers (eg: Earl Crawford, Russel Roper, Otto, Peter Bond, Mike Silva, Warren Young, John Davis, and on and on). It'd be nice if there was some kind of coherent record. We could also trace the evolution of the venues (Faktory, Eggplant, Back Door, etc.)

If you're not familiar with the wiki concept, check out wikipedia.com - it's a simple collaborative platform that allows anyone who wants to to add/edit entries, etc.) It's fairly simple to set up. Thoughts? I'm sure Kathy would be a fountain of Knowledge for this kind of thing.

Comment

I've got this theory that if one person is thinking about it, at least twenty others are at some level of getting it done!

Ever since RFH, even at Jelly's, I've been eager to be part of compiling a Family History of the island music scene that lived more out of the Wave and Anna's rather than get play on radio, KTUH or KPOI, at best. Many people have their own lists (each of us secret pack rats of "useless" trivia) and that wikipedia.com you suggested looks viable.

Yes, not only the Rock stars -- some of them doubled as personalities/characters that came through only at night, like Raoul Vehill (?) and promoters Ken Rosene, Norm Winter, Mari Matsuoka, brothers Grimm...it would make for a great read or reference. Both, that'd be nice.

Then, it melds with the sub-scenes: Oi! all-stars, punks, new wavers, skaters, groms, club kidds, ravers, dj's, hangers-on...good times. Everybody was a star, baby!

I've got my googling and personal emailing cut out for me...Shawn Lopes is a willing volunteer for the cause as well, as he's got a memory for great local musical moments beginning with the Squids-era. Anybody else down?

Comment

Many people have their own lists (each of us secret pack rats of "useless" trivia) and that wikipedia.com you suggested looks viable... Anybody else down?
                        I'd be more than happy to provide the technological back-end for this project. (I think something similar might be a great workspace for scrivener's Diamond Head Crater Festival as well.) I've been playing with MediaWiki, and even have an installation sitting here with nothing to fill it with...

Drop me a PM, Kathy and Kamapuaa and anyone else... I'd love to see what I can do for you.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                          I'd be more than happy to provide the technological back-end for this project. (I think something similar might be a great workspace for scrivener's Diamond Head Crater Festival as well.) I've been playing with MediaWiki, and even have an installation sitting here with nothing to fill it with...

Drop me a PM, Kathy and Kamapuaa and anyone else... I'd love to see what I can do for you.
                          PM sent, let's rock.

Comment

...cool! I'm looking forward to a whole lot of True Confessions and (fingers crossed) pics and MP3's available - a gal can dream :-)

Comment

Not to interrupt the string... but how many of you out there still have tapes of Radio Free Hawaii? I popped in an old Mad Mohammad show I taped in 1991; it happened to be "Monkey Time." Ads included the girls who were the "new book buyers at Jelly's... we love books... INSANELY!"
                              Ahh, talk about bringing back memories...

Comment

...cool! I'm looking forward to a whole lot of True Confessions and (fingers crossed) pics and MP3's available - a gal can dream :-)
                                Actually, I was hoping you would be a source for that kind of stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X