Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stupid bumperstickers

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
    At first I thought it was mainly for memorializing guys who died young (car crashes, drug ODs, fights, etc.) until I started doing the arithmetic and realized some of the dead people being memorialized were in their 50s and 60s. I wonder whether they would have wanted their names spread across Junior Boy's back windshield that way.

Because Junior Boy's prize possession is his car and he wants everybody to understand that he'll put his most endearing thoughts on his most sacred asset.

At least he'll treat his rolling memorial with more respect knowing the deceased will be fuming if he ever disgraced it by speeding or using that memorial as a killing machine if he ever got into a fatal accident. Whatever works is okay with me.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Yeah come to think of it, I guess those "My child blah blah blah" stickers are just as, if not more, annoying. lol

Comment

I'm particularly fond of the "Don't laugh, your daughter could be in here" sticker for band touring vans. That and "Gas, Grass or Ass, No One Rides for Free." Tasteless and unequivocally American.
        Don't be mean,
        try to help.

Comment

I have one bumper sticker on my car, "hawaiistories.com." On the license plate, "let's talk story, hawaiithreads.com" in the back for all to see. I'm a dire hard fan of both!

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I know the topic is "stupid bumperstickers," but I was wondering...what's the status on the Live Aloha stickers? Are they still pretty common? Are they generic? Are they in the same vein as bank calendar magnets?

I'm curious, because our family here regards our Live Aloha stickers like gold. It took me forever to finally commit to actually sticking it to something, because I didn't want to make a mistake and then regret using it.
            ~'Ailina

Comment

I got that in the mail months ago. I cut out "Aloha" and put it on my driver side...ok that's 1 1/2 stickers I got. Oh, and dey not stupid ones either. ooops!

auntie lynn aka auntie pupule!
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I use to have a Take your Rod out and Play with it sticker on my back window. Bought at a hotrod show but you can pretty much guess what prudes thought it was and the resulting looks and head shaking i noticed in my rear view on occasion.
                If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Originally posted by memorylane
                  I use to have a Take your Rod out and Play with it sticker on my back window. Bought at a hotrod show but you can pretty much guess what prudes thought it was and the resulting looks and head shaking i noticed in my rear view on occasion.
                  Yeah, I had a one on a supecharged Thunderbird that was "Injection is nice but I would rather be Blown" The prudes would gasp with what ever picture that it brought to mind, because it was refering to the method of fuel delivery.
                  May God bless those who love us. And those who do not love us, may He turn their hearts. And if He does not turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping.

Comment

I'd like this one on my BMW

Last edited by craigwatanabe; June 5, 2005, 09:50 PM.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Ailina
                      I know the topic is "stupid bumperstickers," but I was wondering...what's the status on the Live Aloha stickers?
                      They're still around. I mailed off for mine over a year ago, but also haven't "commited" it to anything. I keep thinking I might want it around longer than whatever I stick it to. Which is silly, of course, because they're hardly rare, but... they're still special!

There aren't as many "Live Aloha" bumper stickers out there as "My Child is an Honor Student," if that gives you an idea of their prevalence. I'd imagine they're even more rare on the Mainland. So cherish yours... and mail off for a few spares, while you're at it!

Comment

A couple of years after I moved here, I asked someone what "Pu In Sai" meant because I kept seeing it on bumper stickers. After he explained it to me, I said, "Uh-huh. Why would anyone want that on a bumper sticker?"
                        He said, "Well, you know ... pu in sai!"
                        I just stared at him with one of those looks women sometimes give men.

So ... the driver of that vehicle is saying ... he is in favor of it? Is there generally some question about that? Why not just get a bumper sticker that says "I'm insecure"?

That gets my vote for No. 1 stupid bumper sticker.

Second-least favorite: Whenever I see someone with a "Live Aloha" bumper sticker either clogging up the far left lane of the freeway or making lane changes without signaling. No aloha there!

(insert emoticon as desired)

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                          Whenever I see someone with a "Live Aloha" bumper sticker either clogging up the far left lane of the freeway or making lane changes without signaling. No aloha there!
                          Those damn mortals! hate it when they display human tendencies, inconsistencies and frailties!

Comment

pu insai is a standard kaona. Hawaiian word or phrase with hidden or double meaning. Mostly a kolohe meaning. With origins in da surfah culture.
                            pu insai = shoot da tube, like pray for surf and the double entendre is self evident.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                              pu insai is a standard kaona. Hawaiian word or phrase with hidden or double meaning. Mostly a kolohe meaning. With origins in da surfah culture.
                              pu insai = shoot da tube, like pray for surf and the double entendre is self evident.
                              Uh-huh. That's how the local boy explained it to me, but with the emphasis on the nonsurf-related meaning. He said it has become more of the second meaning, less of the original. <shrug>

As far as your comment about "mere mortals" above ... We're all mortals and make mistakes, big duh. That's different from blatant rudeness. When you see the same guy lurching from lane to lane to lane to lane all the way from Waianae to town, never using a turn signal, that's not human frailty -- it's rude and dangerous to the rest of us. Especially those of us on motorcycles. Most people who ride get pretty sensitive to that stuff because we are more vulnerable to it.

OK, sorry, got off topic there ...

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                                Especially those of us on motorcycles.

point taken; watch me froth at the mouth when I get a motorcyle again and haveta brave these hiways of death.

Comment

Working...
                                X