Thread: Making A Community Better, Safe, Sight, & Sound!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cool Making A Community Better, Safe, Sight, & Sound!

I forgot where the thread was when someone asked what is Mayor Wrights Housing. Anyways, I figured posting a new one so we can all share how our community is beautifing in their own way.

Today, The New Hope Chapel of Kalihi are here in force to paint and do a big clean up of MWH. All cars were to be moved out by 7:00 am. Did anyone listen, NO. Still they managed to clean and paint. Mahalo to them all.

Yesterday, residents get a notice that from June 6th - June 22nd, all cars must be out of MWH by 6:00 am. Resurficing and pavements will be done by a private company contracted by the State.

I'm all for making MWH beautiful and once and for all rid of the pot holes that look like craters on Mars...but how PUPULE, to paint the lines, signs, etc. when Monday it's going to be repaved? DUH?

I tried in vain along with Mrs. Eliapo to get some sense into the workers in telling the volunteers to stop. One of them said they could go to two other housings to do some work. Did they listen? No.

Oh, well...Mayor Wrights Housing is being changed. Inside and out. Next week, my cooking class!

auntie lynn aka auntie pupule
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Default Re: Making A Community Better, Safe, Sight, & Sound!

When I was with the Law Enforcement Explorers, we painted a few places that had graffitti and other vandalism. A few neighbors thanked us for painting the area, and will start calling the police when they see people tag the area.

Of course, I did a lot of community events, ranging from the first couple Taste of Waipahus', to a few St Joseph Ho'olaulea and a few Easter Egg Extravaganzas.

Too bad I barely have enough time to do them, or else I'd still be helping out.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Just an UPDATE of what's happening at MWH...

The road resurfacing and pavement improvements began yesterday. It's a joke. Resurfacing only in the middle so far, some over the newly painted stall lines too. Pavement work...all ready to go. The men came by this morning and told me, " We're gonna pour the cement today." They never came.

I get a call from the office, telling me to pick-up my temporary parking permit (3 days) at the Security Guard Shack. She goes on and tell me that I need to be out of my regular parking stall by 6:30 am, tomarrow morning. I go there wobbling. It's not there, the parking permit. I go there again with my car (not that dumb this time), get the permit. The Security Guard looks at me and says, "Oh, no!" I told him where is the parking located. Damn, it's quite a distance from my apartment. No pilikia, I'll just follow what they tell me.

Prior to me going to p/u my permit...the female guard gets attacked by a female for not letting her into MWH. There is no visitors or drop offs till June 22nd. Police come and arrest the assailant. Female guard is in her van holding her face and talking to her supervisor.

It's getting to be a circus. This morning one of the bullies at MWH had their car towed. $ 50.00 they had to pay. Me, just watching everything and happy that even if it's a half OKOLE job altogether...it's better than nothing.

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule
    Last edited by 1stwahine; June 7th, 2005 at 09:44 PM. Reason: bad word changed in....

June 24, 2005. MWH looks 98% better. The road resurfacing and pavements have been completed on schedule. Only the middle part of the areas resurfaced but for the most part it's better than nothing. At least the pot holes are gone.

This week representatives from the Housing of Urban Development (HUD), came to inspect MWH. They randomly picked apartments to inspect. The meintenance crew did a good job in patching up and painting here and there to band-aid the problems that still remains. I waited for someone to come but nobody came. Shucks. They passed by with the head of Meintenance whom probably told them, "not that apartment, the lady there is "Pupule!"hehehe

Anyway's, now we get a letter from the office telling us that the HUD inspectors completed their inspections and found that having padlocks on our back lanais is in violation because of health and safety issues! For example, if there is a fire in the unit, you would be able to escape thru your rear lanai gate easily if it's not locked. This is for your safety that we are asking you to remove your locks immediately. Non-comliance...etc, etc.

In the meantime, we will be looking at other options that will satisfy HUD and also addressing your concerns regarding security, etc.

So do I risk taking the lock off and make MAMA and I subject to a break in while we're asleep and/or awake? This is MWH, we have major problems that are known. All it would take is for the idiots to find out we can't have locks, and they will have a field day with the residents. Then again, I miss the action of kicking butt...but I'm too old already. If there ever was a fire, I would break the freaken windows if theres no other alternative. In the first place we have the keys or the combination numbers. Duh. Plus we all have fire extinguishers that are inspected every year, and smoke detectors.

Your ideas is greatly appreciated cause when I go to the Resident Association's meeting (whenever that is), I'll have something to present.

Mahalo,

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule

Hui Tita:
    There are things called "window/door jammers" that you can attach to a lanai door to keep people from entering. This particular company sells them for about $4/ea. The only downside is people have to remember to lock them in place whenever they aren't planning to use the door. But it's cheap and would be in compliance with the HUD rules. Maybe you guys could get a grant from somebody (the City or maybe even a local charity) to pay for it...then everybody can get one for free.

Here are some ideas for securing the glass doors that cost even less money, but probably aren't as secure.

One other idea is to get window film (they sell the stuff for windows and doors to filter out ultraviolet light and here in earthquake country to prevent glass from shattering). Why this would be useful is if somebody tried to break the glass in the door, it wouldn't shatter...it would hold together, just like car windshield glass holds together when it's smashed. Plus, since it filters out ultraviolet light, it would keep the inside of the place cooler in the hot weather (the units with western exposure probably feel like ovens in the afternoon) and keep stuff from fading. You can also get reflective (mirrored) or smoky film to make it harder for people to see inside the room. Here's an example of what the window film can do. (Llumar film is very expensive, but there are other films that are cheaper and do basically the same thing that you can buy at places like Lowe's and Home Depot).

Here's a safety checklist you can take your security meeting too.

Malama pono,
    Miulang

Thanks Miulang. I could use the jammers for the back door. However the lanai door is like a gate with an attachment to put a lock in place. Only those who live on the first floor have such gates. The rest have enclosed cemented lanais. That in itself is a danger, for health and safety issues.

Guess they couldn't find any other thing wrong with MWH so they come up with this crap. Eh, I going leave my lock on. Let um' try take it out. I have my reasons why I don't want to take it off.

Lynn

Pictures tell a thousand words...

Look what residents at MWH have to deal with when they want to take out the garbage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNNyvX898Mw

Manoa crawls back off HT and into his hole!

In today's StarBulletin http://starbulletin.com/2006/07/19/news/story06.html
    Shooting prompts action by Kukui Plaza residents
    By Leila Fujimori

"A group of 11 Kukui Plaza residents, including a 79-year-old woman, took to the streets last night in an effort to take back their community after a fatal shooting shook their neighborhood earlier this month."

"Rep. Bev Harbin and city Councilman Rod Tam called for tougher laws and more community involvement, but the audience criticized their "rhetoric."

I know many of the people who walk the Chinatown Neighborhood Watch Walk for years. It's always been an uphill battle yet they never give up the fight.

Everyone must work together in order to reclaim the streets. It can be done. There are things happening behind closed doors that must be stop. The Public must know sooner or later. Investigations they say are going on but what are the results?

Hmmmm...there's more to the story than meets the eye. Hopefully, everything will come together so that all will understand the puzzel in which Crime in Hawai'i nei is continuing at it's rapid rate and why nothing is done.

Auntie pUpUle
    Da Undacova Blogga

I went to have lunch at Liliha Seafood Resturant on the corner of Liliha and Vineyard. When I was in the crosswalk, I noticed a familiar face. It was a man who was in the news on May 3, 2006.

http://starbulletin.com/2006/05/03/news/story02.html
    "In a matter of minutes, a Palolo man allegedly stole a motorcycle at gunpoint, robbed a downtown bank and led more than two dozen police officers and a police helicopter in a chase across East Honolulu yesterday.

Police said Phong Le, 29, led officers from downtown to East Oahu and back to Makiki, where he drove the motorcycle up Round Top Drive, and was boxed in by officers."

As he passed me, he stopped and kicked the stop sign. I dared not to say anything. I not dumb. I ain't no hero. I'm pUpUle. I went on my way.

How can a man so dangerous to Society be let go. How? This man is a walking time bomb. As I looked into his eyes...it was not one of a human being. He will be heard of again in the news.

It's just a matter of time.

Please be careful of this man. He frequents the Liliha, Palama, Kalihi, and Downtown areas. He is very dangerous.

In the Advertiser's article http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...605090344.html
    "Fong Lu, also known as Phong Le, was charged with firstdegree robbery before he was turned over to federal authorities for prosecution."

Today, I start going Door to Door with my Brochures. Fran (anapuni808) donated them for my bid for President of The Mayor Wright Housing Tenant Association. Election Night is next Wednesday. September 27th from 5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.

Win or Lose ~ I will continue to better my Community.

Love and Aloha

Auntie Lynn

In stead of starting a new thread, I'll post here that Honolulu is one dirty town. Maybe all others are worse, and ours is hidden to a degree with the abundant natural beauties, but I ride bike and bus, and you really notice how filthy everything is along the roads. Bus stops are scummy, as are the many free news stands, gravel and dirt in the gutters, and general ick seemingly everywhere, not to mention the increasing stench of #s 1 & 2 becoming more prevelant wherever you go. Those who cruise in their ACed cars may not notice it as much, but I sure do.
    I guess it's OK with most folks as there certainly are more important things in our daily lives, but it makes for an even harder day to stay positive when you get bombarded with it constantly.
    You'd think that someone in seats of power would care more about the tourist side of it, not just keeping Waikiki clean, because you know they won't care for the general citizens that deal with it daily.

Ron,

Thats why we have Neighborhood Boards. The Public is our eyes and ears. We need to have you come to our meetings and make the reports. Take an active part.
    Oahu Neighborhood Boards Website:
    http://www.co.honolulu.hi.us/nco/boards.htm

Lynn Vasquez-Dela Cerna

Thanks for the link, Lynn! Enjoyed reading the North Shore Neighborhood Board minutes; I'm kinda disappointed that the area covered by the NS board area is so large! (Everybody from Wahiawa north! So BIG!)

Keeping you in my prayers....

You're very welcome cyleet99!!

K-den. As expected, the meeting was packed. In attendance, Rep. Karl Rhoads who has always been supportive and interested in the welfare of the MWH residents. Director of Public Housing, Chad Taniguchi and members of his Staff, Major of HPD Kalihi Unit, The owner of Alii Security, and Joanna Chaves, Manager of MWH. And a few others with titles. I neba take notes...all from head.

Anyways. What it all breaks down to: Changes.

You no pay rent, abide by rules, etc...you get EVICTED.

Excellent RULES.

Get the bad ones out.

The rent is another story.

Auntie Lynn

Red face Re: Making A Community Better, Safe, Sight, & Sound!

Again Aunty Lynn I respect and commend you deeply with all your efforts...............but you can only do so much.

I agree....parts of downtown honolulu needs a wax and a pressure wash.

What is frustrating!!!

The high political officials both on the city and state level spend so much of their wasted energy on sinking state and federal programs. They spend so much of our wasted tax dollars stomping over sinking projects. My personal opinion: when an individual reaches that level of power; the quality of their image over clouds the quality of their judgments. I honestly believe there are those who serve with a purpose and there are those who serve with reasons.

It is great knowing that there are honest politicians like you out there who values the opinions of the public and actually follow through with it.

However, there are those in public who are after reasons and not purpose as well.

Rail Transit System? That's the silliest thing I've ever heard!!!!! If they want system. Ctrl + Alt + Delete...............

I've said enough.