Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making A Community Better, Safe, Sight, & Sound!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making A Community Better, Safe, Sight, & Sound!

I forgot where the thread was when someone asked what is Mayor Wrights Housing. Anyways, I figured posting a new one so we can all share how our community is beautifing in their own way.

Today, The New Hope Chapel of Kalihi are here in force to paint and do a big clean up of MWH. All cars were to be moved out by 7:00 am. Did anyone listen, NO. Still they managed to clean and paint. Mahalo to them all.

Yesterday, residents get a notice that from June 6th - June 22nd, all cars must be out of MWH by 6:00 am. Resurficing and pavements will be done by a private company contracted by the State.

I'm all for making MWH beautiful and once and for all rid of the pot holes that look like craters on Mars...but how PUPULE, to paint the lines, signs, etc. when Monday it's going to be repaved? DUH?

I tried in vain along with Mrs. Eliapo to get some sense into the workers in telling the volunteers to stop. One of them said they could go to two other housings to do some work. Did they listen? No.

Oh, well...Mayor Wrights Housing is being changed. Inside and out. Next week, my cooking class!

auntie lynn aka auntie pupule
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Re: Making A Community Better, Safe, Sight, & Sound!

When I was with the Law Enforcement Explorers, we painted a few places that had graffitti and other vandalism. A few neighbors thanked us for painting the area, and will start calling the police when they see people tag the area.

Of course, I did a lot of community events, ranging from the first couple Taste of Waipahus', to a few St Joseph Ho'olaulea and a few Easter Egg Extravaganzas.

Too bad I barely have enough time to do them, or else I'd still be helping out.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Just an UPDATE of what's happening at MWH...

The road resurfacing and pavement improvements began yesterday. It's a joke. Resurfacing only in the middle so far, some over the newly painted stall lines too. Pavement work...all ready to go. The men came by this morning and told me, " We're gonna pour the cement today." They never came.

I get a call from the office, telling me to pick-up my temporary parking permit (3 days) at the Security Guard Shack. She goes on and tell me that I need to be out of my regular parking stall by 6:30 am, tomarrow morning. I go there wobbling. It's not there, the parking permit. I go there again with my car (not that dumb this time), get the permit. The Security Guard looks at me and says, "Oh, no!" I told him where is the parking located. Damn, it's quite a distance from my apartment. No pilikia, I'll just follow what they tell me.

Prior to me going to p/u my permit...the female guard gets attacked by a female for not letting her into MWH. There is no visitors or drop offs till June 22nd. Police come and arrest the assailant. Female guard is in her van holding her face and talking to her supervisor.

It's getting to be a circus. This morning one of the bullies at MWH had their car towed. $ 50.00 they had to pay. Me, just watching everything and happy that even if it's a half OKOLE job altogether...it's better than nothing.

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule
      Last edited by 1stwahine; June 7, 2005, 08:44 PM. Reason: bad word changed in....

Comment

June 24, 2005. MWH looks 98% better. The road resurfacing and pavements have been completed on schedule. Only the middle part of the areas resurfaced but for the most part it's better than nothing. At least the pot holes are gone.

This week representatives from the Housing of Urban Development (HUD), came to inspect MWH. They randomly picked apartments to inspect. The meintenance crew did a good job in patching up and painting here and there to band-aid the problems that still remains. I waited for someone to come but nobody came. Shucks. They passed by with the head of Meintenance whom probably told them, "not that apartment, the lady there is "Pupule!"hehehe

Anyway's, now we get a letter from the office telling us that the HUD inspectors completed their inspections and found that having padlocks on our back lanais is in violation because of health and safety issues! For example, if there is a fire in the unit, you would be able to escape thru your rear lanai gate easily if it's not locked. This is for your safety that we are asking you to remove your locks immediately. Non-comliance...etc, etc.

In the meantime, we will be looking at other options that will satisfy HUD and also addressing your concerns regarding security, etc.

So do I risk taking the lock off and make MAMA and I subject to a break in while we're asleep and/or awake? This is MWH, we have major problems that are known. All it would take is for the idiots to find out we can't have locks, and they will have a field day with the residents. Then again, I miss the action of kicking butt...but I'm too old already. If there ever was a fire, I would break the freaken windows if theres no other alternative. In the first place we have the keys or the combination numbers. Duh. Plus we all have fire extinguishers that are inspected every year, and smoke detectors.

Your ideas is greatly appreciated cause when I go to the Resident Association's meeting (whenever that is), I'll have something to present.

Mahalo,

Comment

Hui Tita:
          There are things called "window/door jammers" that you can attach to a lanai door to keep people from entering. This particular company sells them for about $4/ea. The only downside is people have to remember to lock them in place whenever they aren't planning to use the door. But it's cheap and would be in compliance with the HUD rules. Maybe you guys could get a grant from somebody (the City or maybe even a local charity) to pay for it...then everybody can get one for free.

Here are some ideas for securing the glass doors that cost even less money, but probably aren't as secure.

One other idea is to get window film (they sell the stuff for windows and doors to filter out ultraviolet light and here in earthquake country to prevent glass from shattering). Why this would be useful is if somebody tried to break the glass in the door, it wouldn't shatter...it would hold together, just like car windshield glass holds together when it's smashed. Plus, since it filters out ultraviolet light, it would keep the inside of the place cooler in the hot weather (the units with western exposure probably feel like ovens in the afternoon) and keep stuff from fading. You can also get reflective (mirrored) or smoky film to make it harder for people to see inside the room. Here's an example of what the window film can do. (Llumar film is very expensive, but there are other films that are cheaper and do basically the same thing that you can buy at places like Lowe's and Home Depot).

Here's a safety checklist you can take your security meeting too.

Malama pono,
          Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks Miulang. I could use the jammers for the back door. However the lanai door is like a gate with an attachment to put a lock in place. Only those who live on the first floor have such gates. The rest have enclosed cemented lanais. That in itself is a danger, for health and safety issues.

Guess they couldn't find any other thing wrong with MWH so they come up with this crap. Eh, I going leave my lock on. Let um' try take it out. I have my reasons why I don't want to take it off.

Lynn

Comment

June 29, 2005. Tonight is The Tenant's Association Meeting. I'm sure everyone will have objections to the now enforced no locks policy due to HUD requirements. I'm ready. When I first moved here (after my husband's death) with my three children...I lived at Building 31, Vinyard Blvd. side.) Two weeks after, while we were asleep, we were robbed.

Being victamized, yet unharmed physically, still made us mad as hell. The robber took my late husband's ring, necklace (2 gold boxing gloves), gold chain and his wallet. Later as the years passed I found out who did it. I couldn't recover any of the stolen items.

I will state my case as best as I can tonight. No locks is inviting terrible things. Other than that, MWH is coming together as a community. My Micronesian neighbor upstairs gave me a big "Kumu" which I steamed and was it onolicious!

I'll let you all know about the meeting tonight.
              Remember, let us know what's happening in your community too.

Comment

When the topic for the locks started, everyone wanted to talk…angry handicap and elderly tenants ready to speak their mind, including me. "Carlos", Representative for Management, was on sick leave due to an accident. He sure had a welcome back from the tenants. He was bombarded with questions. He stated that it wasn’t HCDCH’S call but from the Housing of Urban Development’s office on the mainland. It didn’t matter…everyone still grumbled to him. He listened. He can handle. He’s Carlos!

more: http://www.hawaiistories.com/lynn/2005/06/29

Comment

July 15, 2005 Tomarrow will be the Annual Cultural Fair at Mayor Wrights Housing. I will be manning the Military Booth and giving out pamphlets and goodies from the Armed Forces! My son and daughter has donated the hot dogs, buns and condiments. Other foods representing the various cultures will also be given. Entertainment and special guests will be coming. If you're in the neighborhood, please come by and see for yourself the change that is happening at MWH. Come visit me at my booth...I always love meeting others from hawaiistories and hawaiithreads!

Komo mai...no be shy!

Auntie Lynn aka Aunty Pupule
                  momthreesoldiers!

Comment

Aloha! MWH Cultural Day 2005!
                    I’ve lived at MWH since October 15, 1997 (different year). How do I remember it so well? It’s Conrad’s birthday. Through the years there have been many community get-togethers and fairs. However, I never went to one…till today.

I didn’t know what to expect but I knew what I was going to do. Represent the best I could the Armed Forces. Because I didn’t have a real authorization from the Dept. Of Defense (DOD), there was not much I could do except to answer questions as a military mother. I also gave pamphlets and goodies provided by the various recruiting offices.

It was fun! Period

See my blog for more of today's Cutural Fair @ MWH

http://www.hawaiistories.com/lynn

Comment

Breaking News...

Approximately around 10:00 pm. A main water line fronting Mayor Wrights Homes on Liliha Street broke. All lanes entering Liliha Street has been shut down. According to Mrs. Eliapo, President of MWH, the HFD was called within five minutes. It took them till 11:05 pm. to respond!

Imagine if we had a major fire going on here in downtown Honolulu! Auwe!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                        Breaking News...

Approximately around 10:00 pm. A main water line fronting Mayor Wrights Homes on Liliha Street broke. All lanes entering Liliha Street has been shut down. According to Mrs. Eliapo, President of MWH, the HFD was called within five minutes. It took them till 11:05 pm. to respond!

Imagine if we had a major fire going on here in downtown Honolulu! Auwe!

Auntie Lynn
                        They're probably all out in Nānākuli fighting brush fires.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                          They're probably all out in Nānākuli fighting brush fires.
                          or...taking a much needed R & R! Still, wouldn't at least one Unit be on call in the Honolulu area to cover other outbreaks or emergencies should anything occur?

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine

Breaking News...

Eh Auntie, did Mrs. Eliapo call 911? Would've made more sense to me if the dispatcher sent one nearby HPD unit first to confirm da problem, anden next to be notified should've been an emergency crew from da Board of Water Supply to locate and shut down the correct underground water valve associated with the break (HFD's kuleana involves locations of above-ground fire hydrants and stand pipes). So maybe it was da Board of Water Supply guys that didn't respond right away because they were too busy playing volleyball someplace. Oh wait...now I'm confusing them with the HFD guys.

Comment

First, wea you was? Yeah, Mrs. Elaipo called 911. Security called too. HPD was there first to access and take care of traffic. They completed fixing the problem by 4:00 p.m. this afternoon. Was still shown on the news at 6:00 pm. on Channel 9.

Auntie Lynn
                              Last edited by 1stwahine; August 20, 2005, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X