Bubble Tea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bubble Tea

Helen's thread about ice cream got me thinking about bubble tea. Anybody here enjoy this drink? It's one of those mea ono that I enjoy on occasion, like halo halo, but I don't go out of my way for it. When I do drink 'em, I like the strawberry flavor with the clear "bubbles". Anybody else?

Re: Bubble Tea

As a food product with "texture" (see the ice cream thread), I like it well enough. A friend of mine who can't get enough is quite loyal to the bubble tea kiosk in the food court at 99 Ranch Market in Mapunapuna.

Comment

sucking gobs of tapioca from a huge straw aint my cup of tea.
      free hawaii!hawaii sovereignty now!

Comment

My big question when I first approach a bubble-tea place is "Do you use real tea?" I'm not interested in powdered flavoring. I want tea. The bubble-tea place at Ala Moana Center, just Diamond-Head of Center Stage, has good black tea with lots of milk and sugar. Another favorite of mine is Boba Loca, across the street from Puck's Alley. "Glug glug, chew chew."
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by arrakis
          sucking gobs of tapioca from a huge straw aint my cup of tea.

yea. that stuff makes about as much sense as, fer example, (seen in today's pepah); "Mongolian Cow Sour Sour Yogurt Super Girl Voice"

Comment

I can testify hordes of people drink it in Texas. A lot of people in the hula network know where to get it in downtown Houston. Of course, we've never had it here in Louisiana (that I know of), but it's an endeavor. The question of the year: "Have you had Bubble Tea???"

Not yet. But I will.
            ~'Ailina

Comment

how about adding the coconut "crystals" too it's kinda' like have a cool drink and chewing sour bubblegum at the same time. all I have to add is thankfully those mega straws weren't around when we was kids. just imagine the spitball wars!
              this space for rent

Comment

Boba tea...YUM! I think it's okay...there's only one place I'd buy it and that's at Alderwood Mall's Pochi Tea Station. I love their taro flavor smoothie. My kids are fans too(mostly for the jumbo tapioca).
                Weird though...I knew of this drink since I've been in Hawaii. I'm not too sure how long it's been here in Seattle but it's been a craze and very popular with the teens and the haole people.

Comment

Ah jeez...I feel so completely out of it. I've never even heard of the stuff. Is that a result of spending 99.5% of my time in Kakaako and Makaha?
                  Last edited by tutusue; January 25, 2006, 04:57 PM. Reason: damn typos!

Comment

Originally posted by Pikake
                    Boba tea...YUM! I think it's okay...there's only one place I'd buy it and that's at Alderwood Mall's Pochi Tea Station. I love their taro flavor smoothie. My kids are fans too(mostly for the jumbo tapioca).
                    Weird though...I knew of this drink since I've been in Hawaii. I'm not too sure how long it's been here in Seattle but it's been a craze and very popular with the teens and the haole people.
                    It's been around for at least the last 5 or 6 years up here in Seattle. We sometimes get bubble tea from this store in the International District (cute because they keep the bubble tea sanitized by sealing a plastic film over the top of the cup and you have to use the straw which has a pointy end to pierce through the plastic). There's a fairly new bubble tea place across from Uwajimaya and there's one in the Uwajimaya food court, too. There's also a good bubble tea place in the Great Wall Mall in Kent (have you been there yet Pikake? They also have a huuuuge 99 Ranch Store in there and Imperial Garden which has fantasic dim sum).

Those bigger diameter straws are good for sucking up the tapioca balls, but if you aren't careful, you might swallow da buggahs before you have a chance to chew on them (cough cough).

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                      Ah jeez...I feel so completely out of it. I've never even heard of the stuff. Is that a result of spending 99.5% of my time in Kakaako and Makaha?
                      you are kidding....right?

If this is the case... I think you get your percentages wrong...I think it's more like...99.5% you spend at home... the rest anywhere that doesn't serve Bubble Teas (j/k)

If your not kidding... may I suggest you try one somewhere... I never thought I would enjoy them... however, I didn't find them as repulsive as I thought I might and my wife loves them.
                      Last edited by damontucker; January 25, 2006, 05:55 PM. Reason: re-worded for pc and typo

Comment

i love this drink although i don't like the bubble things. reminds me of booger snots

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                          you are kidding....right?

If this is the case... I think you get your percentages wrong...I think it's more like...99.5% you spend at home... the rest anywhere that doesn't serve Bubble Teas (j/k)

If your not kidding... may I suggest you try one somewhere... I never thought I would enjoy them... however, I didn't find them as repulsive as I thought I might and my wife loves them.
                          Serious...no joke! I've never heard of bubble tea. And I wish I could say I spend that much time at home, but no such luck! I'd guess it's 30% home and 69.5% Kakaako (work)!

But, yah, if I see an opportunity to try one, I will. I'll have to check the Room Service in Paradise menu!

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                            There's also a good bubble tea place in the Great Wall Mall in Kent (have you been there yet Pikake? They also have a huuuuge 99 Ranch Store in there and Imperial Garden which has fantasic dim sum).
                            I tried the one at the food court and didn't like it. I didn't know those other places existed. Bumbai I go check um out.Thank you!

Those bigger diameter straws are good for sucking up the tapioca balls, but if you aren't careful, you might swallow da buggahs before you have a chance to chew on them (cough cough).
                            Miulang
                            Almost choke you mean <--and that's what I looked like when it happened.

Comment

One problem with bubble tea getting so common is poor quality control. I had a bad one the other day from a Ba-Le sandwich shop -- all the tapioca pearls were cemented together in a big brown gloopy mass. I tried to suck pearls up through my straw, and I sucked so hard I collapsed the straw cuz they were all stuck. I had to poke and stir quite a bit before they eventually separated.

Comment

Working...
                              X