View Poll Results: Which national fast food chain is your favorite for hamburgers?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Burger King

12 25.00%
  • Jack-in-the-Box

12 25.00%
  • McDonalds

9 18.75%
  • Wendy's

15 31.25%
  • Other national or international chain

9 18.75%
  • None of the above

3 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hamburger Poll - Non-Local Fast Food Places

Default Re: hamburger poll #1 - non-local based fast food places

While visting my sissy one summer in LA, I had a cheeseburger from In & Out burger....best I ever had. Other than that...I love Wendy's.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRL

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by helen View Post
    Sort of noticed that Jack-in-the-Box has raised the price of Jumbo Jacks from $1.29 to $1.99.
    Yeah? Hmm, that probably means they raised the price of a Big Cheeseburger from $1.29 to $1.99 too.

Oh well, I knew it had to happen sooner or later. For me, the Big Cheeseburger with lettuce tomatoes pickles, mustard No mayo, for $1.29 was/is the absolute best deal in cheap cheap burgers anywhere.
    Last edited by mapen; October 12th, 2006 at 03:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alohabear View Post
    Other than that...I love Wendy's.
    So do alot of locals. I read in the newspaper that the Wendy's by the airport is in the Top 5 Busiest Wendy's in all of the USA!

Can you believe that a BIG town like Hilo has no Wendy's ? Kona has two, but ever since the Wendy's in Hilo closed when "Kaniala" owned most of them. They never returned.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRL

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Darn I got foiled again by another multiple choice poll by answering the poll first before reading the first post. Somehow there should be a way to put the first post at the top and then the mulitiple choice poll after that. Now I can't go back to vote for the other 2 places I usually go... Jack in the Box and McD's. My first choice is Burger King. I like the Whopper. I have never been to a Wendy's since the firm started franchises in Hawaii again. The last time I ate at a Wendy's, Ronald Reagan was still president.

Carl's JR!!!!!

I'll have a Double Western Bacon Cheese burger please! Actually, make that 3 dozen... frozen so i can eat them over a long period of time cause we don't have CJr here in PA
    -kp!

OK, while not available in Hawaii, my favorite still has to be Steak N Shake (Midwestern chain). They serve a sirloin steak burger and real ice cream shakes...all hand made patties. Just the best, tastiest patties.

Going there was always a treat since we went to one just off the highway near Indianapolis...so we could only go when we traveled back to Chicago to visit family. Maybe if we went more often the taste wouldn't be so "special"....but ahhhhhh....still my favorite burger

I remember Kenny's Burger House in Kalihi (now a McDonald's) used to have supah' ono Teri Burgers that often went on sale for only 10 cents each - and this is in the 90's, not 50's.

Nobody here mentioned White Castle yet. I'm curious just how good these famous little square-patty "sliders" are. They must be good enough for the trouble Harold and Kumar went through for them. lol

Hawaii doesn't have any White Castle locations, but My friend said Sam's Club has their burgers in the freezer section. I'll keep that in mind on my next trip there.
    Last edited by Pomai; October 12th, 2006 at 09:30 AM. Reason: locations

Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    Nobody here mentioned White Castle yet. I'm curious just how good these famous little square-pattied "sliders" are. They must be good enough for the trouble Harold and Kumar went through for them. lol

Hawaii doesn't have any White Castle locations, but My friend said Sam's Club has their burgers in the freezer section. I'll keep that in mind on my next trip there.
    White Castle...yeah...Sliders! Buy 'em buy the sack! Literally, since they are about the size of smaller dinner rolls, you'll need a few to feel full. Greasy? Check! Five holes in the meat patty? Check! Equally greasy grilled onions? Check! Puffy soft white bread bun? Check!

I guess it's a thing you grow up with...never as good as an adult as when you were a kid. When I took my wife to Chicago last year we stopped in a White Castle. My Local Girl from Ewa Beach wanted to try the legendary sliders. She was...totally grossed out. I finished hers and we stopped for a hot dog to replace her lunch.

Oh well...she can't stand sliders and I'm no fan of tripe stew...as always YMMV

White Castle burgers are ...interesting. I can only eat them when I'm drunk. I could prolly eat them while sober. I just choose not to.

It's a gooey, steamed burger with onions. Lots of bread soaked in grease (or maybe it's just steam, either way, it's gooeygluey) and a little patty with a definite onion flavor. Don't try to pry the bottom piece of bread from the patty because it'll make you cringe. The frozen versions are ok...not the same, but you'll get the idea, I think. The best part about White Castle imo is that they serve crinkle fries (which I LOVE). I dont know if I'd buy a Sam's Club-size box of them, tho. They do have them in the freezer section at Star Market.

Favorite burger is In n Out - Hamburger with grilled onions plz and a pink lemonade. It's the first place I go when I fly home.

The Northwest's Burgerville is pretty good, too. iirc, they use walla walla onions and grass-fed locally-raised beef <3

Sonic's burger is all right cuz you can get mustard on it (or it used to come already on it, I can't remember). Not to mention tator tots w/ chili and lemon berry creamslushes. and a corn dog, too, if im on the road.

The only burger I get at BK is the Whopper Jr., which for the price, is a pretty gosh darn good burger (w/o mayo). I always seem to get a big piece of tomato on mine, so maybe that's why I like them so much. I'd get a regular sized Whopper, but it's too big.
    Last edited by Kelly0040; October 12th, 2006 at 10:15 AM. Reason: I said beef like 80 times in one line omg

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly0040 View Post
    White Castle burgers are ...interesting. I can only eat them when I'm drunk. I could prolly eat them while sober. I just choose not to.

Favorite burger is In n Out - Hamburger with grilled onions plz and a pink lemonade. It's the first place I go when I fly home.

The Northwest's Burgerville is pretty good, too. iirc, they use walla walla onions and grass-fed beef locally-raised beef <3

Sonic's burger is all right cuz you can get mustard on it (or it used to come already on it, I can't remember). Not to mention tator tots w/ chili and lemon berry creamslushes. and a corn dog, too, if im on the road.
    My doctor would cring if he saw me write this.........but I love burgers!!!!

White Castle- definite drunk food- tried them sober and found them inedible.

In and Out- Animal 3 X 3 with animal fries after a morning sesh. Washed down a lemonade. Followed by a nap. If you are a So Cal local, you know what to do with the bumper stickers!!!!

Burgerville- SW Washington and Portland. Great meat!!! Walla walla onions and rasberries on the seasonal menu. Good fish and chips too.

Sonic- saw the first penetration of Sonic in the NW in Medford, Oregon. Ditto with the tater tots and chili. Plus all those sugary drinks with the neon colors.
    You Look Like I Need A Drink

Between Jeff, Kelly and Nacho's explanation of a White Castle Slider, I'm not so sure if buying a bulk-sized box of 'em from Sam's Club might be a good idea.

Maybe after a few beers I'll think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    Maybe after a few beers I'll think about it.
    More like a 12 pack..........
    You Look Like I Need A Drink

Agreed: Sliders are something you eat when you just need some food-like sustenance in your belly, something to soak up the alcohol. Not something you seek out with unimpaired tastebuds.

I voted for other ... and for me that means In-n-Out.

There is an A&W at the Mililani Town Center. Which was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by helen View Post
    Sort of noticed that Jack-in-the-Box has raised the price of Jumbo Jacks from $1.29 to $1.99.
    New owner:

http://starbulletin.com/2006/08/09/news/story03.html

http://starbulletin.com/2006/09/13/b...bizbriefs.html

They've still got a chicken sandwich, beef monster taco and the two-taco deal for .99 each ... I went to the Kailua location yesterday. I must have tossed the receipt, which I just looked for to provide verification. Oh well. I definitely remember they had a decent burger for .99, but that and other prices have gone up.

Maybe the Hawaii stores' margins weren't good enough?
    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

It's been a long while since Jumbo Jacks have been sold at 99 cents and there was a TV commecial that made a point of keeping that item at that price (hinting that anyone at the corprate Jack-in-the-Box headquarters would get fired for even suggesting to raise the prices).

Well 3 years at $1.29 seems to be a good run on the Jumbo Jack. I can live with $1.99 Jumbo Jacks for the next 3 years or more.

Not for nothin' -- I mean, I really prefer to report positive news ... but because nothing was going to happen I didn't make a story/column of it.

I believe it was In-N-Out Burger, a privately held, family run company, that told me they have no plans to expand to Hawaii.

Sorry guys/gals.
    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

I'm curious what they're gonna' do with the property formerly occupied by Jack in the Box in Waikiki on the corner of Kalakaua Ave. and McCully, across 7-11. It's still boarded up and starting to look delapidated with Grafitti.

They also closed the Jack in the Box location further down across Duke's Statue near the police substation.

I wish Teddy's Bigger Better Burgers would follow suit how they took over the Kapahulu "zoo" location where a Jack in the Box also formerly occupied.

I LOVE TEDDY'S BIGGER BETTER BURGERS! Enough to pay more than 99 cents for one. One just a doorstep away would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by nachodaddy View Post
    White Castle- definite drunk food- tried them sober and found them inedible.
    I Tried the ones from Sam's Club the other day (bought from a vending machine)...

Package of two fully-cooked microwavable Cheesebuger "Slyders". They're each pretty small. The buns look more like dinner rolls. Nuke 'em for 35 seconds and they come out looking like that (not exactly pretty).

Like most ready-to-heat frozen prepared foods, they (the hamburger patty and cheese) were pretty high in sodium. The ingredients says the burger patty has dried onions in it, which you can sort of taste. The bun texture was pretty good considering it was nuked. As you can see, my knife colapsed the bun on the one cut in half, revealing the square, WAFER-THIN patty.

They tasted pretty much like a plain 'ole McDonald's Cheeseburger, sans any condiments. The small "Slyder" size made it feel like I had raided Ken and Barbie's dollhouse fridge. lol Overall, not bad.

Would I buy a whole case of this stuff at Sam's Club? Probably only if a case of beer was in the cart along with it.

The key is to drink the entire case of beer first, then the "slyders" will actually taste more like food. That's how people in NY do it. That's why White Castle is open 24 hours. No person in their right mind would eat it without a strong alcohol inebriation (sp?)

Go to a White Castle at 3 am on a Friday or Saturday Night, and you are almost guaranteed to get into trouble, not to mention the trouble you get into AFTER eating the burgers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kungpao View Post
    Carl's JR!!!!!

I'll have a Double Western Bacon Cheese burger please! Actually, make that 3 dozen... frozen so i can eat them over a long period of time cause we don't have CJr here in PA
    Ehh KP...

I'm with you on da Carl's Jr. These burgers are da bomb! Flame broiled unlike Jack n the Crack, and Mickey D's, and they are rather plump in size. They are juicy,and they specialize on different types of burgers like the guacamole burger, jalapeno burger, 1/2 lb. burger, to name a few. My vote would be for the 100% Angus beef burger. If you should ever be near a Hardees in Pennsylvania and throughout the south and mid-west you can count on the similar style as Carl's Jr. as it is under the same ownership of CKE (Carl Karcher Enterprises).

I dont really eat fast food that much.. Im a health junkie when it comes to fast food lol... but when I do go to have some easy meals I usually go to Burger King

My fave is Fatburger, hands down...when I need a good quick fix and there's not Fatburger around, Burger King is my choice...their burgers taste like backyard bbq to me.

Thanx to Pomai and his Tasty Island Blog www.tastyisland.wordpress.com , I will be tracking down a Kiawe BBQ and trying thier burgers

http://tastyisland.wordpress.com/tag/korean/

Now THAT looks like a great burger.
    Last edited by tikiyaki; October 24th, 2006 at 07:21 PM.

Oh hands down...

In-N-Out Burger in California and Nevada.

Double Double extra cheese, fries animal style and a coke. Killa. If you have the chance to go to one while on the mainland, you'll end up wishing you never did because you have to travel to California or Vegas to have them.

Another bummer is that this is not a franchisee chain. They are actually family owned and started up before Ray Croc and McD's. They are still family owned 50 years later and the quality shows.

The best is seeing them put a potato into this slicer thing-a-ma-bob and watch them cook fresh real french fries. Ug I'm dying for one again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast