Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: hamburger poll #1 - non-local based fast food places

Carl's JR!!!!!

I'll have a Double Western Bacon Cheese burger please! Actually, make that 3 dozen... frozen so i can eat them over a long period of time cause we don't have CJr here in PA
    -kp!

Comment

OK, while not available in Hawaii, my favorite still has to be Steak N Shake (Midwestern chain). They serve a sirloin steak burger and real ice cream shakes...all hand made patties. Just the best, tastiest patties.

Going there was always a treat since we went to one just off the highway near Indianapolis...so we could only go when we traveled back to Chicago to visit family. Maybe if we went more often the taste wouldn't be so "special"....but ahhhhhh....still my favorite burger

Comment

I remember Kenny's Burger House in Kalihi (now a McDonald's) used to have supah' ono Teri Burgers that often went on sale for only 10 cents each - and this is in the 90's, not 50's.

Nobody here mentioned White Castle yet. I'm curious just how good these famous little square-patty "sliders" are. They must be good enough for the trouble Harold and Kumar went through for them. lol

Hawaii doesn't have any White Castle locations, but My friend said Sam's Club has their burgers in the freezer section. I'll keep that in mind on my next trip there.
        Last edited by Pomai; October 12, 2006, 09:30 AM. Reason: locations
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
          Nobody here mentioned White Castle yet. I'm curious just how good these famous little square-pattied "sliders" are. They must be good enough for the trouble Harold and Kumar went through for them. lol

Hawaii doesn't have any White Castle locations, but My friend said Sam's Club has their burgers in the freezer section. I'll keep that in mind on my next trip there.
          White Castle...yeah...Sliders! Buy 'em buy the sack! Literally, since they are about the size of smaller dinner rolls, you'll need a few to feel full. Greasy? Check! Five holes in the meat patty? Check! Equally greasy grilled onions? Check! Puffy soft white bread bun? Check!

I guess it's a thing you grow up with...never as good as an adult as when you were a kid. When I took my wife to Chicago last year we stopped in a White Castle. My Local Girl from Ewa Beach wanted to try the legendary sliders. She was...totally grossed out. I finished hers and we stopped for a hot dog to replace her lunch.

Oh well...she can't stand sliders and I'm no fan of tripe stew...as always YMMV

Comment

White Castle burgers are ...interesting. I can only eat them when I'm drunk. I could prolly eat them while sober. I just choose not to.

It's a gooey, steamed burger with onions. Lots of bread soaked in grease (or maybe it's just steam, either way, it's gooeygluey) and a little patty with a definite onion flavor. Don't try to pry the bottom piece of bread from the patty because it'll make you cringe. The frozen versions are ok...not the same, but you'll get the idea, I think. The best part about White Castle imo is that they serve crinkle fries (which I LOVE). I dont know if I'd buy a Sam's Club-size box of them, tho. They do have them in the freezer section at Star Market.

Favorite burger is In n Out - Hamburger with grilled onions plz and a pink lemonade. It's the first place I go when I fly home.

The Northwest's Burgerville is pretty good, too. iirc, they use walla walla onions and grass-fed locally-raised beef <3

Sonic's burger is all right cuz you can get mustard on it (or it used to come already on it, I can't remember). Not to mention tator tots w/ chili and lemon berry creamslushes. and a corn dog, too, if im on the road.

The only burger I get at BK is the Whopper Jr., which for the price, is a pretty gosh darn good burger (w/o mayo). I always seem to get a big piece of tomato on mine, so maybe that's why I like them so much. I'd get a regular sized Whopper, but it's too big.
            Last edited by Kelly0040; October 12, 2006, 10:15 AM. Reason: I said beef like 80 times in one line omg

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly0040 View Post
              White Castle burgers are ...interesting. I can only eat them when I'm drunk. I could prolly eat them while sober. I just choose not to.

Favorite burger is In n Out - Hamburger with grilled onions plz and a pink lemonade. It's the first place I go when I fly home.

The Northwest's Burgerville is pretty good, too. iirc, they use walla walla onions and grass-fed beef locally-raised beef <3

Sonic's burger is all right cuz you can get mustard on it (or it used to come already on it, I can't remember). Not to mention tator tots w/ chili and lemon berry creamslushes. and a corn dog, too, if im on the road.
              My doctor would cring if he saw me write this.........but I love burgers!!!!

White Castle- definite drunk food- tried them sober and found them inedible.

In and Out- Animal 3 X 3 with animal fries after a morning sesh. Washed down a lemonade. Followed by a nap. If you are a So Cal local, you know what to do with the bumper stickers!!!!

Burgerville- SW Washington and Portland. Great meat!!! Walla walla onions and rasberries on the seasonal menu. Good fish and chips too.

Sonic- saw the first penetration of Sonic in the NW in Medford, Oregon. Ditto with the tater tots and chili. Plus all those sugary drinks with the neon colors.
              You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Between Jeff, Kelly and Nacho's explanation of a White Castle Slider, I'm not so sure if buying a bulk-sized box of 'em from Sam's Club might be a good idea.

Maybe after a few beers I'll think about it.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                  Maybe after a few beers I'll think about it.
                  More like a 12 pack..........
                  You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Agreed: Sliders are something you eat when you just need some food-like sustenance in your belly, something to soak up the alcohol. Not something you seek out with unimpaired tastebuds.

Comment

I voted for other ... and for me that means In-n-Out.

There is an A&W at the Mililani Town Center. Which was pretty good.
                      just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                        Sort of noticed that Jack-in-the-Box has raised the price of Jumbo Jacks from $1.29 to $1.99.
                        New owner:

http://starbulletin.com/2006/08/09/news/story03.html

http://starbulletin.com/2006/09/13/b...bizbriefs.html

They've still got a chicken sandwich, beef monster taco and the two-taco deal for .99 each ... I went to the Kailua location yesterday. I must have tossed the receipt, which I just looked for to provide verification. Oh well. I definitely remember they had a decent burger for .99, but that and other prices have gone up.

Maybe the Hawaii stores' margins weren't good enough?
                        I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

It's been a long while since Jumbo Jacks have been sold at 99 cents and there was a TV commecial that made a point of keeping that item at that price (hinting that anyone at the corprate Jack-in-the-Box headquarters would get fired for even suggesting to raise the prices).

Well 3 years at $1.29 seems to be a good run on the Jumbo Jack. I can live with $1.99 Jumbo Jacks for the next 3 years or more.

Comment

Not for nothin' -- I mean, I really prefer to report positive news ... but because nothing was going to happen I didn't make a story/column of it.

I believe it was In-N-Out Burger, a privately held, family run company, that told me they have no plans to expand to Hawaii.

Sorry guys/gals.
                            I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

I'm curious what they're gonna' do with the property formerly occupied by Jack in the Box in Waikiki on the corner of Kalakaua Ave. and McCully, across 7-11. It's still boarded up and starting to look delapidated with Grafitti.

They also closed the Jack in the Box location further down across Duke's Statue near the police substation.

I wish Teddy's Bigger Better Burgers would follow suit how they took over the Kapahulu "zoo" location where a Jack in the Box also formerly occupied.

I LOVE TEDDY'S BIGGER BETTER BURGERS! Enough to pay more than 99 cents for one. One just a doorstep away would be great.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by nachodaddy View Post
                                White Castle- definite drunk food- tried them sober and found them inedible.
                                I Tried the ones from Sam's Club the other day (bought from a vending machine)...

Package of two fully-cooked microwavable Cheesebuger "Slyders". They're each pretty small. The buns look more like dinner rolls. Nuke 'em for 35 seconds and they come out looking like that (not exactly pretty).

Like most ready-to-heat frozen prepared foods, they (the hamburger patty and cheese) were pretty high in sodium. The ingredients says the burger patty has dried onions in it, which you can sort of taste. The bun texture was pretty good considering it was nuked. As you can see, my knife colapsed the bun on the one cut in half, revealing the square, WAFER-THIN patty.

They tasted pretty much like a plain 'ole McDonald's Cheeseburger, sans any condiments. The small "Slyder" size made it feel like I had raided Ken and Barbie's dollhouse fridge. lol Overall, not bad.

Would I buy a whole case of this stuff at Sam's Club? Probably only if a case of beer was in the cart along with it.

sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                                X