Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Used record stores?

Thats what we do too.

We look for songs on vinyl that are not made on cds and make our own. This is such a fun hobby for us and recently the kids too.

We search garage sales, estate sales, and go to used record stores and dig through their stuff.

There is a great big one called Amoeba records that has almost everything you can think of in LA. I think their website is http://www.Amoebamusic.com.

Can't wait to hunt in Hawaii
    Last edited by Cnecki; June 11, 2005, 03:16 PM.
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
      yea. know whatcha mean. that's my next project; digitizing as many of my records as i can from all the years olf collecting early gabby, 60's 70's hawaiian and Polynesian, all the classic rock, as well as the casettes saved from the 70's and on.
      Got two Technics turntables here;
      an SL 110A and an SL-B270 ready for the job...
      Rather do the job myself than buy the cd's. I prefer the old analog sound; all the scratches and pops I don't mind at all.
      I have 3 Technics turntables, though 2 are in storage, 1 of them broken. I can't remember the model number right off hand since I am off island for the time being... but here is a photo link of my turntable playing an old Hui O'Hana record:

http://macpro-things.buzznet.com/user/?id=270490

I collect mostly old top 40 rock of the 60s and 70s and maintain a handful of old Hawaiian vinyl too. What I am looking for is a Chris Hodge single "We're On Our Way" on Apple Records, old Surfers albums on the HiFi label and the Nelson Waikiki LP on the Tradewinds label..... among others.

The pops and scratches don't bother me much unless the record is in like really bad condition and I know a better copy exists somewhere else. However if you are a longtime vinyl collector, you resign yourself to appreciating the vinyl you have even if it is badly scratched, especially if the song or album is something that is very hard to find.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Cnecki
        We look for songs on vinyl that are not made on cds and make our own. This is such a fun hobby for us and recently the kids too.

We search garage sales, estate sales, and go to used record stores and dig through their stuff.
        Yep, I started putting my vinyl only tracks on compilation cassettes several years ago and eventually switching over to digital after I got my Power Mac G4. The Griffin iMic is a wonderful device used for analog to digital conversion.

Over the years I have enjoyed searching for that one hard to find vinyl at various used record stores we used to have in Honolulu... Jellys was and is still the best.... Rainbow Records when they used to carry vinyl, Froggies, Cheapos, Hungry Ear... Also the annual Friends of the Library Book Sale at McKinley High School is a great place to look for old vinyl... and the occasional Hawaii Public Radio sale (one held this weekend I believe).... the Salvation Army and other thrift stores don't have as good titles as some of the other places I mentioned.

Perhaps when you set up your swap meet place I will check it out.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
          The Griffin iMic is a wonderful device used for analog to digital conversion.

yep... got it!

Comment

Hum, the titles that you are looking for we have not seen, but now daddy is on a mission to find them for you. He said he will take a drive to the used record and tape store in down town LB tommarow, and call Amoeba too.

We have not started using computers yet although my husband can clean up a record and create a clean CD just by burning it. He says he has a good ear so he can adjust the levels well to create a quality sound.

Over here the records with a few scratches sell for $1 or $2 and the clean ones for $5.00-$15.00. They also sell 45's, old posters, music notes and everything else in the music industry. We so hope the stores their are just as exciting!!!

We have been looking at a computer (just for music) and a reel to reel at a guitar store in Torrance and are considering purchasing them before the move. We did use our home PC for music but it got so loaded that every other program ran really slow, like a snail.

Since we have such a large collection (for the average collector) daddy wants to load all of his songs in a real to real for continuous play.

I collect the old rock n roll too like Cream, Foghat, and Arrowsmith to name a few and the daddy collects oldies mostly but does like the hard to find one time hits of the past and girl group reggaes. He also likes a variety of other music too like Cheryl Lynn, Eurogliders and the Romantics.

My daughter on the other hand likes the Low Rider series like East Side Stories, Brenton woods and so on.

Now my son he likes to collect the rump shakin stuff, that we ALL agree is Do Do! But hay our parents hated our music too and look at us now!!!

I am wondering do they sell replacement parts there or should we stock up just in case? (for turntables)

Right now we have a Direct Drive stereo turntable 3300 but we will be looking into purchasing another one.

Can't wait to search in Hawaii
            Last edited by Cnecki; June 12, 2005, 05:58 AM.

Comment

MEL, how cuttttttttte is your Scooby Doobie Do Van! What do you do? And the pictures were fun. The turntable looks very similar to ours and the fruit looks Yummy! Thanks for sharing a bit of your self. We will do the same when I can upload pictures again. Our Scanner is packed, miss it only three more weeks until we move home!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

We have not started using computers yet although my husband can clean up a record and create a clean CD just by burning it. He says he has a good ear so he can adjust the levels well to create a quality sound.

We have been looking at a computer (just for music) and a reel to reel at a guitar store in Torrance and are considering purchasing them before the move. We did use our home PC for music but it got so loaded that every other program ran really slow, like a snail.
                You may want to consider getting a Power Macintosh for doing audio and other multi media.

Since we have such a large collection (for the average collector) daddy wants to load all of his songs in a real to real for continuous play.
                Converting them all to MP3 or some other digital format and saving them to a large hard drive may forgo the need for getting a reel to reel tape deck. Fact is I never see reel to reel tape decks for sale anymore.

I collect the old rock n roll too like Cream, Foghat, and Arrowsmith to name a few and the daddy collects oldies mostly but does like the hard to find one time hits of the past and girl group reggaes. He also likes a variety of other music too like Cheryl Lynn, Eurogliders and the Romantics.

My daughter on the other hand likes the Low Rider series like East Side Stories, Brenton woods and so on.

Now my son he likes to collect the rump shakin stuff, that we ALL agree is Do Do! But hay our parents hated our music too and look at us now!!!
                Variety in music is fun, though I agree with you on the "rump shakin' stuff". Of course since I am older now than the kids of today, my musical tastes reflect those of my older generation (mid-late 60s, 70s, early 80s).... Though I appreciates a good amount of some of the newer rock stuff coming out today. Also new age, and even some of the cheesy top 40....

I am wondering do they sell replacement parts there or should we stock up just in case? (for turntables)
                Belts maybe. Cartridge. Styli. The expendable stuff you know. I remember Radio Shack used to carry cartridges and styli but not on stock anymore. I think you have to special order that stuff. Know of any online sources?

Don't have too many high hopes. The used record retail landscape is fairly small here on Oahu. Perhaps yard sales may be best. Lots of those on the weekends.

I remember when everyone was getting into CDs in the early 1990s, tons of used records were sold by people to places like Jellys who then sold them back to the general public. I suspect that most of the good vinyl finds in Hawaii have mostly been snatched up by collectors and most of what remains on the open market today are the perinial 70s and 80s pop and dance titles that may be in somewhat good condition.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

MEL, how cuttttttttte is your Scooby Doobie Do Van! What do you do? And the pictures were fun. The turntable looks very similar to ours and the fruit looks Yummy! Thanks for sharing a bit of your self. We will do the same when I can upload pictures again. Our Scanner is packed, miss it only three more weeks until we move home!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your comments on my pictures. The Scooby Doo van is not mine. I just saw it parking on the street one day and snapped the picture.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Thanks for answering all of our questions, we will look hard for the rare stuff before we leave. I guess now would be the time to purchase a new turntable before we fly. They do have throw away turn tables at the guitar center here in Torrance. I think they are 39.00 and run all the way up to the good stuff for $400.00.

They have so many types here. Some with a turntable and cd player together and some that have controls like big panel professional systems.

The guitar center here also carries replacement needles but I don't know about parts. I think its like a needle in a hay stack with the really old ones that we have (but not impossible) the guitar center can usually order or find vintage parts but not always.

Have a great day

Comment

clean up a record and create a clean CD just by burning it. He says he has a good ear so he can adjust the levels well to create a quality sound.
                      wait. THIS will be the swap meet business?!

Over here the records with a few scratches sell for $1 or $2 and the clean ones for $5.00-$15.00. They also sell 45's, old posters, music notes and everything else in the music industry. We so hope the stores their are just as exciting!!!

they aint'. No inventory.
                      But more importantly; No interest anywhere near what it is on the mainland, which is an expansive limitless geographical mass, of course, that stretches far and wide, fulla people that fill their bumper stickers with the latest slogan, cover their body with the latsest screaming message t shirt, blast the latest pop music from their car tricked out with the latest accessories, and fill their oversize box for stuff; (house) with even more stuff...
                      In short, you are coming from a one upmanship consumeristicially inclined me,me, me, gimmee it now society to an island still to very large degree imbued with a very laid back approach to life, eschewing material posessions. ( why bother?! with our salt air, everything has 90% less of a lifespan than it would on the mainland...)
                      Most people here don't care to have it all, regardless of the honolulu advertiser's best efforts to warp into a mainland paper screaming with the "latest fad sunglasses, git me the current gameboy, gottta have a makeover" image concious, form over function, quantity over quality slanted articles taking over what once was a daily that was a good reflection of the "old Hawaii"...

we go online for this.

it'll take you all of one day and a half.
                      Last edited by kimo55; June 14, 2005, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Kimo, you are so funny! you get all rilled up over nothing! We aren't trying to one up anyone, only mentioning what is here. I know the island is limited and we know that EVERYTHING here will not be there, and we don't want it to be.

If we wanted to continue to live the life here; we would stay. Music is a favorite topic with my husband and I; a hobby more than anything else.

All we wanted to do at the swap meet is offer a large selection of hard to find music, that is all.

All the other things we were discussing was a mixture of Mels comments and yours.

I will be more specific next time of whom I am speaking to.

If we only have one or two places to search every three months for used vinyl that will be okay, it's all for fun!

You see Kimo, I can handle your view points, observations and not so gentle proding, to protect the island, and to set it straight I have a man just as passionate about his view points as you. So bring it, I can handle! But the question is "Do I want to?"

Comment

All we wanted to do at the swap meet is offer a large selection of hard to find music, that is all.
                          that is fine, if ya wanna resell lps.
                          But you mentioned:
                          "my husband can clean up a record and create a clean CD just by burning it."
                          (of course, there is much more mechanically, to it than that...)

This is one of my points:
                          You can't re-release in any form, free, or for any charge or donation, any music, unless you get the releases and rights taken care of. Are you... paying any royalties to reissue this music?

You will find yerself in a heap o trouble, by publishing and releasing music that is not your own composition, outright.
                          Last edited by kimo55; June 15, 2005, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Have not applied for any licenses yet, and yes we are aware of the laws regarding sampling or unauthorized compulations of others music.

We only make, at this point, home compulations.

We plan on doing everything by the book when we go into business and are just hoping to make some friends that have similar interests. We are only at the basic planning stages of this venture and do appreciate the advice and concerns.

In a perfect world we would love to open a little store for collectors to come and listen to records and search for their favorite groups but with the cost of rents, and fee simple properties being so high, it is just out of our reach at this point.

We really believe that the Arts including music can be a great creative outlet and a great form of enjoyment for all ages. Through music my children have learned to love musicals and plays, have learned their native dances and instruments and have been dancing competitive Jazz.

It is our hope that through exposure to the Arts our children and the children of the islands will stay out of trouble and grow up happy with a great love of music and its meaning.

Comment

I buy a lot of vinyl from Jelly's. Go there quite often, actually. A lot of new stuff, and a lot of old jazz. There are some real finds there. Just takes time to find stuff that's not been used as a Frisbee.

As for modern bands, quite a few release their recordings on vinyl. Pearl Jam, Stereolab, Interpol, Black Keys... just to name four off the top of my head. I recently did the cover photos for Go Jimmy Go's soon-to-be released album. In addition to the CD, they'll be putting out a 12-inch version as well. There are rumours that Pimpbot may also put out a 45.

Vinyl is alive and well, thank you. My Stanton and I are quite happy.

Comment

yea in the Day there was the viynl donnut in kailua that was along time ago. I collect old viynl to have around 350 to 400 old mostly all rock and I to burn to cd so you can take anyware it's great.And does not cost much around 125.00 include turntable and software just cost of blank cd around 15.00 here in my area. Bill

Comment

Working...
                                X