Any good local computer stores?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any good local computer stores?

I always shop at compUSA for my computer needs since online shopping's s/h to Hawaii is damn high.

Is there any other good local computer store that has an internet presence (I can either check if the product's instock, or see what they sell).

I know that Personal Touch Computers has one, and of course, compUSA has the ability to check the products (like in my example). But, Personal Touch has an ad in their website, and you have to call them to know if they have a product in stock.

I surf the web for deals at stores, and would like to view the products stock w/out dialing my cell to distrupt the class (I can type silently, so no one knows I'm on the 'net).

Suggestions appreciated!
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Any good local computer stores?

In terms of having inventory online, Byteware at the Kam Shopping Center keeps their site relatively up to date. Of course, I'd never pay their prices for stuff, but, it makes for decent browsing.

I still buy most of my computer stuff online, in spite of the shipping charges. Unless you're going with FedEx Ultrafast Overnight or something, the difference is usually still going to be less than the premium the brick-and-mortar store is charging you. And every time I've bought a big-ticket item from Amazon.com, for example, I've just paid for their "regular" shipping but ended up with a "complimentary upgrade" to UPS.

Paying $499 for a digital camera plus $7 for second-day air still beats paying $599 plus tax in a store here.

I avoid CompUSA as much as possible. If I need something right now I just hope they've got it at CostCo.
    Last edited by pzarquon; May 17, 2004, 09:14 AM. Reason: Adding links.

Comment

I also want to see the product in action (or atleast hold the box). And I don't want to go through the hassle of depositing my money into my debit card, just to wait for the product a few days later.

And since the nearest store from my house is CompUSA (I live in Waipahu), it's a good 3 mile walk to go there, and visit.

Thanks for your suggestion about byteware, but they don't have the part I'm looking for (it's a heatsink).

Comment

Another company to try is PDCS. They are located a couple of blocks from the Ala Moana CompUSA store.

Comment

I miss Software Plus.

Comment

When Byteware was at their old location, they had pretty good prices, comparable to the ones you can get on the mainland. Ever since they moved to their new retail location at the Kam shopping center, their prices haven't been that good. Gotta pay for the extra retail space, I guess.

Forget CompUSA, I don't go there at all..I usually refer them as ComPUKE USA. I usually only go there for any of the special sales, but as of late, I end up wasting my time because they don't have it stock anymore.

Mail order is the way to go.

Comment

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Home.jsp
              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by 808_m3
                When Byteware was at their old location, they had pretty good prices, comparable to the ones you can get on the mainland. Ever since they moved to their new retail location at the Kam shopping center, their prices haven't been that good. Gotta pay for the extra retail space, I guess.

Forget CompUSA, I don't go there at all..I usually refer them as ComPUKE USA. I usually only go there for any of the special sales, but as of late, I end up wasting my time because they don't have it stock anymore.

Mail order is the way to go.

You're right about CompUSA's stock levels. I went online to find out if they had the Acom 80Gb external hard drives they had on sale in the Sunday fliers one day and according to their website, there were about 11 of them at the Honolulu location.

When I went down to pick up one they told me they were out of stock. My friend who went down with me called his friend to check for availabilty. He called back saying there's still 11 supposed to be there. We had the stock clerk look thru everywhere in that store and he still couldn't find them.

Either their online warehouse inventory was messed up or CompUSA was hiding their stock for "Preferred" customers. I ended up taking a raincheck and purchasing later on.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                  In terms of having inventory online, Byteware at the Kam Shopping Center keeps their site relatively up to date. Of course, I'd never pay their prices for stuff, but, it makes for decent browsing.
                  try supporting the lil guy and the local vendors. If you know something they have, is priced lower elsewhere, show them that total price and ask if they can come somewhere near it.
                  If you buy something at byteware, you get their assistiance if or when it needs attention.
                  Sending all your business to the cheapest online out of state copmaney will quickly help in all the local smaller mom and pop shops dissappear and then this island will resemble another suburb of L.A., not that it's not getting there already.

Comment

If you are a Mac person, shopping is a little easier as we have less of everything available to us. So if you like to go to a Mac place and play with all of the latest and greatest, the best stop is the Apple Store in Ala Moana Shopping Center. They even have a website that is pretty much the same as the main online Apple Store.

Mac Made Easy and Mac Mouse Club are good places to go for repairs. Both have people active in the Mac community and are very knowledgeable. I bought my last Mac (Power Mac G4) from one of these places.

However some of the best bargains for Mac stuff is online... just like computer stuff in general. Despite shipping costs one of the advantages of buying online and out of state is not having to pay the GET.

Some items purchased through Amazon.com (like software, blank media, batteries, etc.) include free shipping.

I echo others who say to avoid CompUSA. Don't ever buy anything over $100 from them, especially if it is a digital camera, computer or other high end item. The place is only good for buying the kinds of things that you know exactly what you want... you know, blank CDs, media cards, that kind of low margin stuff where you just walk in pick it up and pay for it without having to deal with their sales staff.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
                      Yeah, thats what I would recommend.. you will pay $10 shipping to HI..

Comment

Originally posted by j3rr3y
                        Yeah, thats what I would recommend.. you will pay $10 shipping to HI..
                        Yeah but you get 2nd day UPS on most orders, so the cost balances out.
                        I have seen some OUTRAGEOUS pricing by someone these e-tailers for
                        second day UPS.
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

Yeah but you get 2nd day UPS on most orders, so the cost balances out.
                          I have seen some OUTRAGEOUS pricing by someone these e-tailers for
                          second day UPS.
                          Yeah, I was agreeing with you, bro... I always order from zipzoomfly. unless i am ordering a whole system. then i use newegg.com - they have the best prices and selection on the web. their shipping is expensive to hawaii so its only good if you are ordering a lot.

Comment

I have found Crucial Micron www.crucial.com very good for PC RAM also.
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

I have found Crucial Micron www.crucial.com very good for PC RAM also.
                              Yeah, the prices are competitive, and I have one stick of RAM from them.

But since memory prices are high right now (a half gig of RAM for my computer at the pc2700 speed will cost $100, which was way more than what I paid for last year).

Comment

Working...
                              X