The Lord's Prayer in Hawaiian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lord's Prayer in Hawaiian

I've been searching for The Lord's Prayer in Hawaiian. I've found several copies, but none of them include the `okina and kahakô. Any suggestions?
    ~'Ailina

Re: The Lord's Prayer in Hawaiian

I can put in the correct marks for you. We had to recite this every year in high school, so though I know it by heart, I don't have the words written down. However, I can add them in for you now. Always so nice to see an interest in them when most people think it's just humbug.

I'd post it for you here, but I don't know how to put in the kahako on this site. I use the Hale Kuamo'o fonts on my computer at home, but they don't show up on the pulldown menu of fonts on this board, so I'm not sure how to do it on here? I tried to search and found threads on the 'okina and kahako, but not how to make it show up on here. Unless I'm missing them? Ryan, help? Or Glen Miyashiro?

Otherwise, I can just send you a .pdf of it

Comment

Or http://www.molokai-art-hawaii.com/prayers.html
      sells a copy of it.

Comment

Originally posted by malia
        I'd post it for you here, but I don't know how to put in the kahako on this site.
        Just be sure to use the character codes (or cutting and pasting from a document using them), rather than relying on a special font. This board software does support Hawaiian diacritical marks (as well as some other non-standard codes), as we've seen in the past.

Even if it doesn't display perfectly, by the way, having ümlaut is better than nothing - we'll just know to convert the dots to lines!

Comment

Thanks, Ryan!

E ko mākou Makua i loko o ka lani
          E hōano ‘ia kou inoa
          E hiki mai kou aupuni
          E mālama ‘ia kou makemake ma ka honua nei,
          E like me ia i mālama ‘ia ma ka lani lā
          E hā‘awi mai iā mākou i kēia lā
          i ‘ai mākou no nēia lā
          E kala mai ho‘i iā mākou i kā mākou lawehala ‘ana,
          me mākou e kala nei i ka po‘e i lawehala i kā mākou
          Mai ho‘oku‘u ‘oe iā mākou i ka ho‘owalewale ‘ia mai
          E ho‘opakele nō na‘e iā mākou i ka ‘ino
          No ka mea, nou ke aupuni
          A me ka mana
          A me ka ho‘onani ‘ia a mau loa aku
          ‘Āmene.
          Last edited by malia; June 13, 2005, 10:29 AM. Reason: cool!

Comment

Mahalo, e Malia, for going the extra mile there and typing this up for me. I am enthusiastic about the diacriticals--of course, to respect the Hawaiian language, but also to avoid sounding like an idiot when I'm trying to pray. lol! I can only imagine how terrible I could butcher The Lord's Prayer (Pule A Ka Haku...is that right?) if I don't know where the glottal stops and slurs are. (Shudder to think about it.) Again, mahalo for your time!
            ~'Ailina

Comment

Working...
            X