Ring of Fire acting up again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ring of Fire acting up again

All the wire services are reporting that an earthquake of 7.0 magnitude hit about 70 miles off the coast of Northern California about an hour ago. The Tsunami Warning Center doesn't believe the quake and the subsequent one felt in Sacramento, will generate a tsunami in the Pacific Ocean, although you guys might notice the water rise a little around 10 p.m. your time tonight.

What is interesting is that there was a 6.8 magnitude earthquake earlier today in the Aleutian Islands, and a 7.9 magnitude earthquake in Chile last night.

Hmmm...wonder if Madam Pele's cousins are unhappy about something?

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; June 14, 2005, 05:55 PM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Ring of Fire acting up again

C A N C E L L E D

TSUNAMI BULLETIN NUMBER 002
    PACIFIC TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER
    0612 PM HST 14 JUN 2005

TO - CIVIL DEFENSE IN THE STATE OF HAWAII

SUBJECT - FINAL TSUNAMI ADVISORY

AN EARTHQUAKE HAS OCCURRED WITH THESE PRELIMINARY PARAMETERS

ORIGIN TIME - 0451 PM HST 14 JUN 2005
    COORDINATES - 41.4 NORTH 125.6 WEST
    LOCATION - OFF COAST OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
    MAGNITUDE - 7.4 MOMENT
    MAGNITUDE - 7.1 RICHTER

EVALUATION

THE WEST COAST - ALASKA TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER HAS CANCELLED
    THE REGIONAL TSUNAMI WARNING AND WATCH IT ISSUED FOR OTHER PARTS
    OF THE PACIFIC. BASED ON ALL AVAILABLE DATA THERE IS NO
    DESTRUCTIVE TSUNAMI THREAT TO HAWAII AND THE ADVISORY FOR HAWAII
    IS ALSO ENDED.

HOWEVER...SOME COASTAL AREAS IN HAWAII COULD EXPERIENCE SMALL SEA
    LEVEL CHANGES AND STRONG OR UNUSUAL CURRENTS LASTING UP TO
    SEVERAL HOURS. THE ESTIMATED TIME SUCH EFFECTS MIGHT BEGIN IS

0929 PM HST 14 JUN 2005

THIS WILL BE THE FINAL BULLETIN ISSUED FOR THIS EVENT UNLESS
    ADDITIONAL DATA ARE RECEIVED.

No need worry from people out of state. Warning is cancelled. Go back to the beach.

I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Oh, that Ring of Fire. And here I thought you guys were going to be talking about eating too many chili peppers.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
        Oh, that Ring of Fire. And here I thought you guys were going to be talking about eating too many chili peppers.

whaaawwww whuwhuwhuuuuu. uu. u. !
        best one tuh day!

Comment

Large earthquakes tend to spark other seismic "adjustments" across a pretty wide region. Seems all around the Pacific, things are getting shaky. Check out the USGS's All Earthquake List for the World. Japan (5.6), Papua New Guinea (6.3), California (7.2), Alaska (6.8), Peru (5.2), Vanuatu (5.3), Tonga (5.8), and Chile (7.8)... all in the last day or so.

Being in Hawaii, times like these make you feel like you're sitting on a really big bull's eye.

Comment

They were worried about a tsunami hitting the West Coast not necessarily Hawai'i. The Tsunami Warning Center in Hawai'i indicated immediately after the tremors were recorded that it was doubtful Hawai'i would suffer a tsunami; more than likely all that would happen in Hawai'i is the water level would rise slightly. They had warnings sent out to all coastal communities between Vancouver Island, BC and the California-Oregon border, though. Mercifully, the alert was called off after an hour, but the seismologists up here are glad everybody in those coastal cities still took the precaution to evacuate to higher ground.

We live inland, so it wouldn't have impacted us unless it was a gigundo tsunami spawned by a cataclysmic Alaskan earthquake. Then, the geographical configuration of the Puget Sound would probably act as a "concentrator" and the towns at the bottom part of the Sound would be inundated. Apparently it happened at least once, long ago...

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
            X