Lost Hawaii: Lauhala Hats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lost Hawaii: Lauhala Hats

Patrick6 - Lau hala weaving is NOT for the faint at heart. It is hard work - yes, yielding something very special, however it is a commitment.

Yes, BM did have a lau hala weaving class some time ago...

Surfingfarmboy - An indigenous Hawaiian shirt? Forget it. Everything is sewn in Malaysia. Even the flower leis come from Thailand!

Comment

Here's some a vendor was selling at the Opaeka'a Falls lookout near Wailua River on Kauai back in July 2005...

My GF paid $12 for the hat and $6 for the bowl, which she gave as presents to her lola (grandma).

Image hosted by www.96Seven44.com
      Last edited by Pomai; October 17, 2005, 03:59 PM. Reason: Image Hosting Info'
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

There's an older, local gentleman who auditions with me a few times a year. Each time, while he's waiting, he weaves a basket for me. Last time my asst. oooh'd and aaaah'd over it. When he was pau with the audition he sat back down in the waiting room and weaved a basket for her. He is so fast and those baskets are so treasured!

One commercial, in particular, while he didn't get the role he auditioned for, my clients loved watching him and wrote him and his lauhala weaving into the HVCB commercial.

Speaking of lauhala...has anyone ever seen a floor decoupaged with lauhala mats...as in permanently resined, rather than mats resting atop the floor? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai

Those hats sure look like they're made out of coconut fronds to me.

Lauhala has a much tighter weave like in the attached photo.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
            Those hats sure look like they're made out of coconut fronds to me.
            Oops. My bad. Goes to show what I know about the craft. Oh well, still thought they were nice stuff. Not as long lasting as what Miulang mentioned though.

What about Hawaiian Feather Lei crafts? My aunt who just passed was unbelievably talented in making that stuff. Luckily she passed some her knowledge on feather lei making to my mother and other aunties. Will share pics in a new thread later.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I have recently met an old Hawaiian couple who are in their 70's both born on the Big Island now living in Waimanalo. Tutu makes some wonderful lauhala hats and teaches her craft in Kailua.

a hui hou, Chris

Comment

Hi! I'm new to the list. Does anybody know who makes the nice kine stripping boxes for lau hala leaves ...small enough...with da razor blades, yah? I like to make some bracelets and stuffs for family. You got an address, a number, or a price? I'd like to treat myself to one nice one. I'm on Kauai but no matter where box comes from, K?

Mahalo~

Cat

Comment

Hi Dawn Summer,
                  Do you still weave hats? Who did you learn from? I learn from Aunty Gladys.

Comment

Originally posted by CraftyCat
                    Hi! I'm new to the list. Does anybody know who makes the nice kine stripping boxes for lau hala leaves ...small enough...with da razor blades, yah? I like to make some bracelets and stuffs for family. You got an address, a number, or a price? I'd like to treat myself to one nice one. I'm on Kauai but no matter where box comes from, K?

Mahalo~

Cat
                    Hi - check out the Kauai Museum. See Margaret. Or if you are in Honolulu check out Na Mea at the Ward Warehouse. Good luck

Comment

Re: Something else Hawai'i has lost...

Originally posted by Miulang
                      Neat story from Bob Krauss in this morning's Advertiser. Can you imagine only paying $3 for a lauhala hat? How many people still know how to make these hats today?

Miulang
                      Hi Miulang,
                      check out Na Mea at Wardware house and Macy Ala Moana. There are really some wonderful weavers now. They are starting to come back with the anoni designs. These hats are authentic lau hala hats woven by local people using lau hala picked from our Hawaiian Islands. If these people go through the trouble of picking and cleaning you will know that there is a lot of good energy that is in the hat.

Comment

Originally posted by luckdragon808
                        I have recently met an old Hawaiian couple who are in their 70's both born on the Big Island now living in Waimanalo. Tutu makes some wonderful lauhala hats and teaches her craft in Kailua.

a hui hou, Chris
                        How can I get in touch with this couple? I`m looking for a lau hala hat made in the real old style for a kolohala hatband that I just finished. I will be on O`ahu march 12th for three weeks.Would appreciate any info.

Thanks,

John
                        elemakule

Comment

The pictures of the palm leaf hat and baskets are not Lauhala. "Lau" means leaf and "hala" is the name of the pandanus tree. Therefor something made of palm would not qualify regardless of the width of the strip used. Here are some real Lauhala hats and bracelets using authentic techniques and lauhala.

Both of these Lauhala Hats and more authentic Hawaiian crafts can be found at HawaiiArt.com.

Comment

Working...
                          X