Solving the traffic problem(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Solving the traffic problem(s)

MY CURMUDGEON'S PROPOSAL is "tongur-in-cheek" for those who haven't yet caught on. We all know that such a proposal would NEVER be instituted.

As far as driver re-licensing goes, I didn't even have to take the "test" that the manual is supposed to prepare us for. All I had to do was read the eye chart, turn in my renewal form, and fork over my check.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
      As far as driver re-licensing goes, I didn't even have to take the "test" that the manual is supposed to prepare us for. All I had to do was read the eye chart, turn in my renewal form, and fork over my check.
      As it should be... BURRRP!
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
        When I did use that onramp, I'd stop right after the curve, where I could see oncoming traffic.
        Same here. But I also learned to stop in the middle of the lane so some idiot wouldn't pass me and then get stuck at the end. (Yes, it happened.)

But, now I'm lazy. Continue down University, turn left, go a few blocks and use the next on-ramp. Much safer. With the University on-ramp, all you'd need is some idiot to change from the middle to the right lane and you'd be lucky to avoid an accident. You just don't have many defensive options. (But it can be a fun ramp when you need to clean out the engine. )

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
          But, now I'm lazy. Continue down University, turn left, go a few blocks and use the next on-ramp. Much safer. With the University on-ramp, all you'd need is some idiot to change from the middle to the right lane and you'd be lucky to avoid an accident. You just don't have many defensive options. (But it can be a fun ramp when you need to clean out the engine. )
          That is the single most problematic on-ramp on H-1. Not only because of it's all too close proximity to the Univ. Ave. exit, but on at least a couple of ocassions, I've seen 18 wheelers get stuck in the middle of the ramp because the turning radius is too much for their steering to handle. In my opinion, this on-ramp should be closed. But it probably won't,..... until there's a severe accident killing multiple people. THEN, the powers-that-be will get off their fat okoles to finally do something.

But you heard it here first. That on-ramp is a tragedy waiting to happen. Our dead man's curve.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            That is the single most problematic on-ramp on H-1. Not only because of it's all too close proximity to the Univ. Ave. exit, but on at least a couple of ocassions, I've seen 18 wheelers get stuck in the middle of the ramp because the turning radius is too much for their steering to handle. In my opinion, this on-ramp should be closed. But it probably won't,..... until there's a severe accident killing multiple people. THEN, the powers-that-be will get off their fat okoles to finally do something.

But you heard it here first. That on-ramp is a tragedy waiting to happen. Our dead man's curve.
            That ramp predates the current freeway system and speeds. An immediate and simple solution would be to ban 18 wheelers. A long term solution would either be closing the ramp or rebuilding/realigning it.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              In my opinion, this on-ramp should be closed. But it probably won't,..... until there's a severe accident killing multiple people.
              Either that or fixed. I know someone who claimed it was designed that way to avoid taking out a relative's house. No idea if it was anything more than speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't close to the truth.

The North-bound to west-bound on-ramp isn't a whole lot better. It's also got a small merge area. But at least it has a longer straightaway to come up to speed. I don't know why they don't re-align that one to give more merging space.

Comment

Y'all can talk about it til the cows come home....but it ain't gonna work til you stop with the cars. And it might take painful incentives to get you to go there...

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/Ow...ace.4966828.jp

Owners of gas-guzzlers face paying double for parking

« Previous « PreviousNext » Next »View GalleryPublished Date: 11 February 2009
                DRIVERS of the most polluting vehicles are to be hit with higher parking charges in the capital, it was confirmed yesterday.

The cost of annual parking permits in Edinburgh for the worst gas-guzzlers will double to £320 a year under the new council scheme.

However, drivers with cleaner and more efficient cars will see the cost of parking reduced to as low as £15 a year, down from £80.

Councillors gave their final backing to the scheme yesterday after it emerged that there was strong public backing for the proposals. The council said that it hoped the creation of the sliding scale for residents parking permits would reduce harmful vehicle emissions and help to tackle climate change.

It is the first initiative of its kind in Scotland and will come into force early next year.

The Green Party councillor, Steve Burgess, who proposed the charge, hailed it a "groundbreaking green initiative".

The local authority estimates the move will see two-thirds of resident permit holders paying less for their parking and only 20 per cent paying more.
                http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                X