Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Solving the traffic problem(s)

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
    MY CURMUDGEON'S PROPOSAL: renew drivers' licenses ONLY to those who can drive a manual transmission. This would remove 50% or more of the drivers.

Unfortunately, many of the newly-unlicensed would continue to drive, anyway.
    Or........ they would quickly learn to drive manual and you'd be right back to where you started.

Comment

If they could learn, they'd be better drivers. But, there are many who can't really drive even automatics. So, there would still be a substantial net decrease.

Mind you, I'm not advocating the banning of automatic transmission cars. Just the requirement that drivers must demonstrate competence by being able to drive manual transmissions.

Comment

What does being able to drive a manual transmission have to do with being a competent driver?

Comment

I can't recall exactly where I read this. Proabably Discovery Magazine. But a number of computer studies were done and it was determined that if less than 20% of drivers drove cooperatively, traffic would flow smoothly.

So apparently the number of smart, cooperative drivers is less than that.

In general, people follow too close. They don't leave enough room for others to merge easily. They're not paying attention on the onramps and go too slow when they get on the freeway.

More people should drive with greater consideration for others.

Comment

How about some policy changes to make better use of existing infrastructure? Such as phasing in higher tax rates for cars of certain length and up? And in return, a lower tax rate than the existing one for shorter lengths such as the Smart car, Yaris, or Fit? If everyone started driving smaller cars, you'll essentially get more capacity with the existing roads.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
              If everyone started driving smaller cars, you'll essentially get more capacity with the existing roads.
              I'd like to see the math behind that. I think once you factor in the following distance, the actual car length doesn't make much of a difference. Yes, there will be some. But how much? How would it affect commute time?

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                If everyone started driving smaller cars, you'll essentially get more capacity with the existing roads.
                Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                I'd like to see the math behind that. I think once you factor in the following distance, the actual car length doesn't make much of a difference. Yes, there will be some. But how much? How would it affect commute time?
                Continuing along that vein, joshuatree’s theory assumes that the bigger car disappears when the Yaris gets to the driveway of your hale. Not so. If you’re single with no kids, you're selling that bad boy. If you have a family, like many hand-me-downs, you give the old car to your keiki. Either way, where once there was one car, now there is two. I love small cars, but drive them for the economy and the environment, not to ease traffic. That way, you won’t be disappointed by the results.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

Those who can handle stick shifts are generally more attentive to surrounding traffic conditions. Their survival may depend on it.

Comment

As for the stick thing... When I got my license in Japan, I had to take a special test to drive stick. It's marked on your license whether you're legal to drive stick or auto.

Comment

Comp, please remember, in Hawaii, folks come to a complete stop in merge lanes.

TuNnL, I once said I drove high mileage cars for the economy, and was villified for it. When the environment benefits because you are saving money, then you are an evil conservative. I need to go find that thread to show the proof.
                      FutureNewsNetwork.com
                      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Get good public transport.

Tax cars to the limit.

Charge a daily tax for anyone entering town in a car.

Hike up the price of gas to ten bucks a gallon.

Works in London.
                        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                          I can't comment on following distance because the reality is, that varies with the driver. You have some bad drivers that have practically nil following distance. But here's some simple math to show the logic is sound. Comparing a Yaris to a Camry, the Yaris is shorter by 38.6 inches. I picked a Yaris and not a Smart as well as a Camry and not a Suburban to not compare extremes. So at 38.6 inches, we're talking about a little over 3 feet. A hundred cars in a lane means an additional 300 feet. A Yaris is about 12.5 feet. So that's space for another 24 or so Yaris(s). Every little bit adds up, wouldn't you agree?

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                          Continuing along that vein, joshuatree’s theory assumes that the bigger car disappears when the Yaris gets to the driveway of your hale. Not so. If you’re single with no kids, you're selling that bad boy. If you have a family, like many hand-me-downs, you give the old car to your keiki. Either way, where once there was one car, now there is two. I love small cars, but drive them for the economy and the environment, not to ease traffic. That way, you won’t be disappointed by the results.
                          Let me say this, I am not saying this is a silver bullet solution. All I am saying is that we can change existing policies to influence buyer habits to maximize our existing infrastructure. Coupled with other new infrastructure projects on tap, this will help counter traffic congestion issues. As for hand me downs, I did say phase in, so it's not a result seen overnight. But as people replace their old cars with new, they may be influenced to buy a smaller vehicle due to the tax. This is exactly what they do in Japan, anything over 660 cc engine displacement and over a certain physical size, they get taxed much higher.

And I concur with you that small cars are great for the economy and environment as well but I was merely chiming in to the thread title about solving traffic problems.

Comment

What about an HOV/Diamond lane? Has that option been explored much? Buses would get to their destinations faster, and it should encourage some carpooling.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                              Comp, please remember, in Hawaii, folks come to a complete stop in merge lanes.
                              There's one onramp where you have to stop because it's so short: H1 Eastbound off University Ave. People almost always stop. Except they make the mistake of stopping at the end of the ramp (I've seen longer driveways).

That gave them no options but to wait for a really long opening so they could get up to at least 50 mph.

When I did use that onramp, I'd stop right after the curve, where I could see oncoming traffic. That gave me a much longer acceleration runway and I could merge into smaller gaps. As soon as I saw an opening I'd accelerate hard enough to come up to freeway speed by the time I got to the merge. Some people would get annoyed but these guys just didn't get it. For some reason they'd rather get stuck at the end of the onramp and foul up traffic by trying to merge at 25 mph and risk getting rear-ended.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                                MY CURMUDGEON'S PROPOSAL: renew drivers' licenses ONLY to those who can drive a manual transmission. This would remove 50% or more of the drivers.
                                I totally agree we that should require a greater level of proficiency from drivers before issuing them licenses, but I don't think driving a stick is very relevant.

Drivers should demonstrate the ability to drive at freeway speeds, change lanes, merge, etc. They should demonstrate proficiency at performing accident avoidance maneuvers -- high speed swerves, panic stops w/o anti-lock brakes, etc. They should be able to control their car in a skid, and they should be able to do all these on high-, low- and variable-friction surfaces.

Drivers should have at least a basic understanding of the various systems on a car (engine, transmission, steering, suspension, brakes, etc.) Drivers should know how to perform basic equipment checks -- check tire pressure, check oil, brake fluid, etc. They should know how to identify problems -- leaking fluids, worn tires, worn brake pads, etc.

We require drivers understand traffic laws (obviously), but I think all drivers should also have to know the laws and regulations for car ownership -- even if they will never own a car. They should have a basic understanding of car insurance. They should know what a safety check is for and why a car might not pass. Stuff like that.

I realize this would reduce traffic very little if at all, but since a related subject was brought up, I wanted to address it. I think it's pitiful how little knowledge and proficiency you need to be a licensed driver.

Comment

Working...
                                X