"Lost" The First Season DVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Lost" The First Season DVD

"Lost" is being released to DVD on September 6. This will be the first season episodes. You can pre-order at Amazon.com and more than likely all the other places that sell DVDs.

From Amazon's page here are some of the technical details for this DVD release:

Encoding: Region 1
    Format: Color, Closed-captioned, Dolby
    Rated: NR
    Studio: Buena Vista Home Entertainment
    DVD Release Date: September 6, 2005
    DVD Features:
    Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1)
    The Original Pilot
    Tales From The Island - new behind-the-scenes featurette
    Lost Revealed - expert panel dissects the Series
    Backstage With Drive Shaft - behind the music featurette
    The Art Of Matthew Fox - on-set photography
    Before They Were Lost - original casting tapes
    Blooper Reel
    Rare Deleted Scenes
    Audio Commentaries

Number of discs: 7
    From IMDb: Quotes & Trivia
    ASIN: B00005JNOG
    Reserve this topic for the discussion of this DVD release. Season 2 speculation topic continues
    at this link.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: "Lost" The First Season DVD

I'm going to wait until it's sold at either Costco, Sam's Club or Tower Video. I just hope it's in the $30 to $40 range and not in the $90 range that the Star Trek series is in.

Comment

The great news for me is that I'll be out of the doghouse soon! I "accidentally" erased some of her "Lost" episodes on the DVR so that I could record a couple of NBA Championship games.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
        I'm going to wait until it's sold at either Costco, Sam's Club or Tower Video. I just hope it's in the $30 to $40 range and not in the $90 range that the Star Trek series is in.

Well I dunno, it may be 90 buks. "Lost" does have the lineage, star power and international long term recognition, built in decades long demand and basic scifi elements like star trek and great creative force and name value similar to Gene Roddenberry..... to give it a similar price.
        Last edited by kimo55; June 25, 2005, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
          The great news for me is that I'll be out of the doghouse soon! I "accidentally" erased some of her "Lost" episodes on the DVR so that I could record a couple of NBA Championship games.
          Asking for trouble, that was. Since the ratings for the Finals were down quite a bit, you should probably inform ABC and the NBA; it might make them feel a little better.
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Topic drift warning:
            Originally posted by Linkmeister
            Since the ratings for the Finals were down quite a bit, you should probably inform ABC and the NBA; it might make them feel a little better.
            If game 5 was one of the games you taped, cezanne, I'd say you ended up ahead, not just out of the doghouse. They never release DVDs of classic games in their entirety (and why NOT?), so now you have a GREAT playoff game AND you'll have LOST on DVD.

If ABC and the NBA are disappointed in the ratings, its because neither of them understands how to market this game. This was a very, very good series, despite the first four games being blowouts. I am NOT a hardcore basketball fan, but even I could see that the way this series played out was dramatic and intriguing. Sure there were no Michael-Jordan-like basketball gods involved, and there were no cartoons like Shaquille O'Neal or Dennis Rodman (well, there was, but Rasheed Wallace behaved himself), but there were two teams who made almost every trip downcourt interesting, and that's huge, because I usually find the actual game of basketball quite a bore.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

By the way: I attended the premiere of Lost at Sunset on the Beach, and after the two-hour show, attendees were being interviewed for possible inclusion on the DVD. I didn't see this in Mel's listing of the special features. Could it possibly be part of one of the features listed, or do you think they just scrapped that?
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

According to Amazon.com the retail price of the DVD is in the $60 range but they are selling it around the $39, which might be the price at Costco/Sam's Club.

Comment

I couldn't wait. I preordered via Amazon.com. $38.99. Beats list at $59.99, at least!

Comment

TV Guide magazine is selling a special issue with some of the cast on the cover and a 3 inch CD ROM disc affixed (glued) to the issue.

I bought this for $2.99! This is like the first time I bought TV Guide since Babylon 5 made the cover back in 1998.

That said, the CD-ROM has some behind the scenes stuff on the making of the Lost episodes, a lousy teaser (not worth it) for Season 2, some very nice production pictures, and 3 deleted scenes. The CD-ROM is in a 3 inch format which means it is playable only on tray loading computers. Do not put it in your non-tray loading computer (most laptops, many iMacs, car stereos).

The video stuff is in the Quicktime MOV format, other items utlizing FLASH.

There is also an AIFF file of the song "You All Everybody" by Driveshaft, which clocks in at only 1:27, which to me doesn't seem like a whole song. Probably only used in one of the Charlie episodes and probably that is all they recorded. Who knows?

I assume the CD is PC compatible, but I know for sure it is Mac OSX compatible since this is what I use. An icon for TV Guide MacOSX shows up on the desktop and onscreen. I am sure this is also PC/Windows compatible because no mainstream magazine could release something like this and not make it compatible for Windows.

One thing of note: Be very careful when removing the CD. The darn thing is GLUED to the cover inside a plastic sheath of some sort. I could not get the CD out without destroying part of the cover. Good thing I took a picture of this before tearing out the CD.

Of course this entire thing is tied into the national release of Lost on DVD set, which comes out next week. Reminders of that fact are prominently displayed during the various snippets on this CD.
                    Last edited by mel; August 28, 2005, 03:58 PM.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Out today! Woo! Just got my Season 1 DVD set! Actually, ended up canceling my order at Amazon.com and just grabbing it at Costco... since it was the same price ($38) with the added advantage of having it in my hands immediately!

No doubt my wife will devour every deleted scene, behind-the-scenes special, and screen test, among other extras included in this collection. While sit and imagine what might happen in Season Two (and eventually get to discuss the new episodes in earnest), does anyone else have the DVDs? Any thoughts on the extras, or even things you catch in widescreen that you might've missed with the basic broadcast?

Comment

I picked up my copy of Lost at Costco during my lunch break.

Comment

Which I then loaned to a friend who latey I have been watching movies with. He never saw the show on TV.

Comment

My friend is hooked on Lost. I myself saw the pilot episode of the DVD set and 7th disc which contained the bloopers and a couple of deleted scenes.

Comment

NPR's David Bianculli does a fun review of the "Lost" DVD set. He talks about how DVDs of TV are changing the media landscape overall, and then some of the neat things the "Lost" DVD does.

Comment

Working...
                              X