Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Mauna Kea: Temple Under Seige"

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
    Miulang - did you catch this doc when it aired here (in Seattle) a month or so back? I taped it, but haven't yet viewed it.
    No, didn't see it. Was it shown at a film festival or on TV? I think I may have to buy the DVD. I heard the visuals were stunning. There's also one that was just released about the kanaka maoli in Lahaina (I think its premier was at the Maui Film Festival). That one's also supposed to be stunning. I'm really glad that there are films like this coming out that have the potential of being seen by millions of people in the US and around the world. Only then will people understand why Hawai'i is different.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Re: "Mauna Kea: Temple Under Seige"

Originally posted by Miulang
      No, didn't see it. Was it shown at a film festival or on TV? I think I may have to buy the DVD. I heard the visuals were stunning.

Miulang
      TV - the Tacoma PBS station aired it once.

Comment

Re: Coming Up on PBS

This evening, Leahey & Leahey (Jim and son Kanoa) debuts on PBS Hawaii. June Jones is (of course) their first guest.

I'm told Rick Blangiardi, Emmis Sr. VP and GM of KGMB, will be their second guest, on next week's show.

I know they've done radio together, but I have to tell you that I had so much fun interviewing father, son and friends for a "Family Tree" story about them for the Star-Bulletin -- that I would encourage even non sports-fans to tune in this evening, next week, etc. just to experience it.

I suspect that the lead photo in the S-B story on them reveals a true sampling of what's to come.

http://starbulletin.com/2004/02/22/business/story1.html

By way of disclosure, Leukemia survivor Jim Leahey was a huge inspiration to my late husband, who died of the same disease six years ago.
        I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle

I suspect that the lead photo in the S-B story on them reveals a true sampling of what's to come.

http://starbulletin.com/2004/02/22/business/story1.html
          The commercials they aired on KHON were funny enough to make me want to watch it tonight.

Kanoa's ears have always been a favorite.
          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
          We're not here to mess around
          Boston, you know we love you madly
          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
          You know we couldn't live without you
          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Ma Ka Malu Ali'i: The Legacy of Hawaii's Ali'i
            Ma Ka Malu Ali'i documents the struggles and foresight of five ali'i in 19th century Hawaii. In a time of disease, diminishing the Hawaiian population and the imminent deposition of Hawaii's reigning monarchy, Princess Bernice Pauahi Bishop, Queen Emma, King Wiliam Charles Lunalilo, Queen Lili'uokalani, and Queen Kapiolani displayed incredible fortitude and vision by creating their respective institutions: Kamehameha Schools, The Queen's Health System, Lunalilo Home, Liliu'okalani Children's Center, and Kapiolani Medical Center for Women and Children to help not only the people of their time but generations yet to come.
            Tonight at 8 p.m.

Comment

The Cats Of Mirikitani

i hope it's not a repeat (if so, i'm sorry) but this program seems kinda interesting.

"..."Make art not war" is Jimmy Mirikitani's motto. The 80-year-old artist was born in Sacramento, California, raised in Hiroshima, Japan, traveled the U.S. and even cooked for artist Jackson Pollock. But by 2001, Mirikitani was homeless, living on the streets of New York City. As tourists and shoppers hurried past, Mirikitani sat alone on a windy corner in New York’s SoHo, drawing pictures of whimsical cats, bleak internment camps and the angry red flames of the atomic bomb. When local filmmaker Linda Hattendorf stopped to ask about his art, a friendship—detailed in THE CATS OF MIRIKITANI—began that changed both their lives..."

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/catsofmirikitani/

Tuesday, May 8, 10:30pm

Saturday, May 12, 8:30pm
              525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Re: The Cats Of Mirikitani

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
                i hope it's not a repeat (if so, i'm sorry) but this program seems kinda interesting.

"..."Make art not war" is Jimmy Mirikitani's motto. The 80-year-old artist was born in Sacramento, California, raised in Hiroshima, Japan, traveled the U.S. and even cooked for artist Jackson Pollock. But by 2001, Mirikitani was homeless, living on the streets of New York City. As tourists and shoppers hurried past, Mirikitani sat alone on a windy corner in New York’s SoHo, drawing pictures of whimsical cats, bleak internment camps and the angry red flames of the atomic bomb. When local filmmaker Linda Hattendorf stopped to ask about his art, a friendship—detailed in THE CATS OF MIRIKITANI—began that changed both their lives..."

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/catsofmirikitani/

Tuesday, May 8, 10:30pm

Saturday, May 12, 8:30pm
                We went to a show of his at the Wing Luke Asian Museum last year. Many of his cat sketches were featured. But he also did many sketches of war and death. Being a street artist, he doesn't use canvas...just newsprint paper, but his cat art is very whimsical and sweet. The epilogue to his story is he doesn't live in the streets anymore.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Re: The Cats Of Mirikitani

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                  ...The epilogue to his story is he doesn't live in the streets anymore.

Miulang
                  that's good to know i wonder if he was on the streets cuz of bad luck, mental issues, etc? i'll check the website tonight and see if i can find out...
                  525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

BLACK GRACE on PBS Hawaii tonight...

A documentary on BLACK GRACE - a a dance troupe of Maori and Pacific Island men is to be shown on PBS Hawaii tonight. Black Grace: From Cannon's Creek to Jacob's Pillow shows their rise from a small town in New Zealand to Jacob's Pillow, the pinnacle of the modern dance world. Black Grace appeared in Hawaii in 2005.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...NT05/706210309

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF5VDdHJsw4
                    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Re: BLACK GRACE on PBS Hawaii tonight...

Thanks Kiwidiva ~ checking the local listings in SF ~ hoping they air it here as well.
                      "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

thanks also for the head's up; if you wanna learn more about jacob's pillow, check out this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ4-8R4EibU&NR=1

Comment

PBS is presenting several special programs surrounding "The War," a documentary by Ken Burns. PBS Hawaii, our own island affiliate, is participating.

Comment

Re: If You Love PBS And Penguins.

hi this is sansei and sorry of where im posting this only tonight on pbs,i watched on how the mofu in a type of old africa on how they live and how the must trust on Insect's to help them drive out pest's like the termite's and how when the crop grows that the people of this group help one another in harmony and they the mofu cook and eat bug's and this is their harmony toward's them.

well thank's for your time

Comment

Artists In Hawaii II, on PBS tonite (08/07/08)

First show of the season, and my bud, Hawaiian steel guitarist Bobby Ingano (he's Filipino) will be the subject in the first segment.

8:30pm
                              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: Artists In Hawaii II, on PBS tonite (08/07/08)

thanks for the reminder; unfortunately, i missed it and peter rockford espiritu is on now; i wondered if it might be online but iTunes list of Long Story Short seems to be lagging behind what's happening:

http://ax.phobos.apple.com.edgesuite...%253D280783208

too bad!

Comment

Working...
                                X