Ahi poke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahi poke

Where's your favorite source of this stuff I never, ever ate before moving to Hawaii?

I was amazed to discover how much better the "shoyu ahi" is from Safeway compared to Foodland. Neither, I suspect, is as good as that from Yama's but are certainly more convenient to obtain.

Re: Ahi poke

Although I like to eat it, I stay away from poke made from any large predatory fish since reading that it's full of mercury.

Comment

Albert, you made my mouth water. I made a promise to myself after the food poioning that I wasn't going to eat anything "raw". I sure miss the ahi poki with opihi from Helena's (da bess) and I miss all the aku limu, ahi shoyu w/ maui onions, green onions, limu and kukui nut special that I made.................

Nah, I ain't gonna chance um. The pain, I can do without.

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

It's been a couple years, but if the guy who makes the juice for the shoyu aku at Holiday Mart Kaheka is still there, that gets my vote for ready-to-eat poke. It's really not a science to making poke. I like ahi too but prefer aku for some reason.

Comment

i like mine loaded with limu, onions and chili pepper water...there was a place in palolo, formerly frank's, that had the best poke i've ever had...it's no longer there, but man, it was good...they kept the shoyu sauce on the side, so the ahi didn't get slimy...i also agree that safeway's poke is better than foodland's...way more limu...
          Don't be mean,
          try to help.

Comment

there is a big difference in the poke from safeway, foodland, and star market. star market from what I remember was the freshest and brightest looking poke in those styrofoam trays. some of these grocers jus slappem and wrapped and look all sloppy!
            Reggie aka pinakboy
            Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
            Raw Eats Veggie Videos
            Recipe Tube TV!
            Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

While I eaten poke in the past I never brought it for myself until this past Friday at Sam's Club.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                While I eaten poke in the past I never brought it for myself until this past Friday at Sam's Club.

Try em with soda...much better than fried eggs
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

The quality of poke varies from market to market in particular chains as well. The poke at the Foodland in Pearl City is average but the stuff at the Foodland in Waipio is really good - I guess some locations make their own. Tanioka's has good poke too and so does Poke Stop but those are more expensive than the supermarkets.

Comment

I can't stop eating salmon poke, I'm afraid I'm endangering the salmon species. I just get mine at Maruju.

Comment

I buy the limu poke at Pali Safeway and when I get home I add inamona and chile pepper.

Comment

On the Big Island (east) KTA poke is pretty good. Suisan fish market makes it up fresh from the catch every day. Ahi is good, but I really like tako poke (octopus). Ono-chewy-licious!

Comment

Originally posted by toeknee
                          On the Big Island (east) KTA poke is pretty good. Suisan fish market makes it up fresh from the catch every day. Ahi is good, but I really like tako poke (octopus). Ono-chewy-licious!
                          i got relatives there and when my parents last went there to visit, they went to KTA and Suisan. my dad said the aku was so cheap that they bought a huge one for under $20 bucks and dey cleaned and fileted it fo free!! my dad took it to their hotel room and he made shoyu poke and limu/hawn salt poke that lasted long enuff for his cravings of fresh homemade poke to go away!!
                          Reggie aka pinakboy
                          Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
                          Raw Eats Veggie Videos
                          Recipe Tube TV!
                          Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

mMmm ... nothing like the poke at 'Ono Seafood on Kapahulu. They make it to order and it's very affordable. I usually pick up a small tub of the dried aku blood as well -- great with a cold one and football on the weekends.

Tamura's on 10th & Waialae is a close second. And I'll swing by Ruger Market if I'm not in the mood to drive -- Cyn has a special fondness for their pipkaula musubi.
                            "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                              Albert, you made my mouth water. I made a promise to myself after the food poioning that I wasn't going to eat anything "raw". I sure miss the ahi poki with opihi from Helena's (da bess) and I miss all the aku limu, ahi shoyu w/ maui onions, green onions, limu and kukui nut special that I made.................

Nah, I ain't gonna chance um. The pain, I can do without.

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule
                              You mean, you're not going to eat anything raw ever again??

Comment

Working...
                              X