Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ahi poke

Originally posted by nikki View Post
    You mean, you're not going to eat anything raw ever again??
    Nikki, Dat post was on June 28th, 2005, 11:06 AM!

I changed my mind.

Ake, Aku Poke, Raw Squid and Raw Crab are weekend favorites!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
      Nikki, Dat post was on June 28th, 2005, 11:06 AM!

I changed my mind.

Ake, Aku Poke, Raw Squid and Raw Crab are weekend favorites!

Auntie Lynn
      Oh, I didn't notice the date!!! Hahaha, that's funny

Comment

Originally posted by nikki View Post
        Oh, I didn't notice the date!!! Hahaha, that's funny
        How I wish it was then. I was thirty pounds lighter!

HAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn

Comment

I Auntie, You jus wen make wata my mouth wen I see da pitcha. Now I gotta run store b-4 I druel all ova my computa
          bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy View Post
            I Auntie, You jus wen make wata my mouth wen I see da pitcha. Now I gotta run store b-4 I druel all ova my computa
            No forget Da Roasted Turkey Tails and POI!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

YOU GOIN GET IT... Now I stay ono foa turkey tail lau-lau. Only ting I gotta rest my OPU
              bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy View Post
                YOU GOIN GET IT... Now I stay ono foa turkey tail lau-lau. Only ting I gotta rest my OPU
                hehehehe

I just came back from Tamashiro. I couldn't help myself. I ate some of the Ahi Onion Poke.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Ho, wow! $11.95/lb?!
                  I haven't seen poke for that much since Dec '05! Looks ono tho.
                  Catch must have been manini lately.
                  Turkey tails reminded me of Alicia's Market on Mokauea, my fav spot to go for turkey tails, roast pork and poke when I'm at work.
                  "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

if you're not familiar w/rex navarette, he's has an amusing take on poke. i did not know until seeing his show last year that the word means something completely different in some filipino dialect:

from rex navarette's 2006 show at pipeline.
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Re: Ahi poke - Ono Seafood on Kapahulu

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
                      if you're not familiar w/rex navarette, he's has an amusing take on poke. i did not know until seeing his show last year that the word means something completely different in some filipino dialect:

I thought it was the "B" word? (lot) Yeah, must be a different dialect.

Anyway, I second Ono Seafood; truly a hidden gem on Kapahulu. Only recently we discovered this place through word-of-mouth, and whoah man.. talk about "buttah". This Poke (ehem) melts in your mouth like "buttah"! Actually, we paid about $12/lb. for the high grade Ahi Poke, and it's worth it. MPB, mahalo for the link to that blog review. I was gonna' blog the place, but no need... braddah already did a FANTASTIC job with photos and the article.

After you get this type of made-to-order Poke, you'll find all the premixed stuff at all the grocery stores inferior. It's almost a crying shame how much Poke they must throw away at the end of the day that doesn't get sold (hopefully they give it to their employees!). Vs. Ono, they probably sell almost all their inventory using this MTO method. Very efficient and superior in quality.

Ono Seafood on Kapahulu is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Their Ahi Poke is da' bes'!
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                        I thought it was the "B" word? (lot) Yeah, must be a different dialect.

"uki" was what we used at home (we're ilocano). i didn't hear "bilat" until i was in my teens. maybe it's less acceptable, in the same way the "c" word isn't as acceptable as "p" *meow* word is.

i found out today that "poke," or more correctly spelled "puke," & pronounced "pooh-keh" is "p" *meow* in tagalog.
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

ay sos!! talkin about poke as puki??? lol wrong forum man!!
                          Reggie aka pinakboy
                          Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
                          Raw Eats Veggie Videos
                          Recipe Tube TV!
                          Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

question.

how come nomo aku poke as much as ahi poke like befo?? befo buying poke at da fish markets aku poke used to be cheaper and moa readily available den ahi poke. den da past 5 years get decline in seeing aku poke. now aku poke almost nonexistent.

i miss da aku head, aku belly, and filets. was so cheap and nobody like buyem but me lol. aku moa oily, fatty, and bloody!! da winnahs!!!

bring back aku!! lol
                            Reggie aka pinakboy
                            Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
                            Raw Eats Veggie Videos
                            Recipe Tube TV!
                            Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

Originally posted by pinakboy View Post
                              ay sos!! talkin about poke as puki??? lol wrong forum man!!
                              Howzit R! Long time no "see".

Eh, keep in, the person who brought that up is the same person who started this ever-popular thread.

Well, since Tanioka's is located in Waipahu, next time I go there to order some, I'll pronounce the "o" as "u" (I'll act like I'm a tourist). LOL!
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by pinakboy View Post
                                question.

how come nomo aku poke as much as ahi poke like befo?? befo buying poke at da fish markets aku poke used to be cheaper and moa readily available den ahi poke. den da past 5 years get decline in seeing aku poke. now aku poke almost nonexistent.

You right, I never see aku poke anywhere either . . . until yesterday. I saw aku poke at Haili's next to Ward Marukai. Cost mo than ahi poke though, & no look as good as the ahi poke. I bought the ahi poke - masarap.
                                Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Working...
                                X