Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ahi poke

living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker

Default Re: Ahi poke

Quote Originally Posted by ericncyn View Post
    if you're not familiar w/rex navarette, he's has an amusing take on poke. i did not know until seeing his show last year that the word means something completely different in some filipino dialect:

from rex navarette's 2006 show at pipeline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    I thought it was the "B" word? (lot) Yeah, must be a different dialect.

"uki" was what we used at home (we're ilocano). i didn't hear "bilat" until i was in my teens. maybe it's less acceptable, in the same way the "c" word isn't as acceptable as "p" *meow* word is.

i found out today that "poke," or more correctly spelled "puke," & pronounced "pooh-keh" is "p" *meow* in tagalog.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

ay sos!! talkin about poke as puki??? lol wrong forum man!!

question.

how come nomo aku poke as much as ahi poke like befo?? befo buying poke at da fish markets aku poke used to be cheaper and moa readily available den ahi poke. den da past 5 years get decline in seeing aku poke. now aku poke almost nonexistent.

i miss da aku head, aku belly, and filets. was so cheap and nobody like buyem but me lol. aku moa oily, fatty, and bloody!! da winnahs!!!

bring back aku!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by pinakboy View Post
    ay sos!! talkin about poke as puki??? lol wrong forum man!!
    Howzit R! Long time no "see".

Eh, keep in, the person who brought that up is the same person who started this ever-popular thread.

Well, since Tanioka's is located in Waipahu, next time I go there to order some, I'll pronounce the "o" as "u" (I'll act like I'm a tourist). LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by pinakboy View Post
    question.

how come nomo aku poke as much as ahi poke like befo?? befo buying poke at da fish markets aku poke used to be cheaper and moa readily available den ahi poke. den da past 5 years get decline in seeing aku poke. now aku poke almost nonexistent.

You right, I never see aku poke anywhere either . . . until yesterday. I saw aku poke at Haili's next to Ward Marukai. Cost mo than ahi poke though, & no look as good as the ahi poke. I bought the ahi poke - masarap.
    Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

I love ahi poke - and I love poke made with swordfish even more so, but I get that very rarely.

I think it's because aku is simply not in great supply right now. Hard to find dry aku and if you do it's about $20.00/lb. get planny dry ahi though. Wait for New Year's to come around and then check out the price.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12