Fireworks and July 4th!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fireworks and July 4th!

The noise and smoke is getting bad. I dropped my daughter and her husband to Aloha Towers to watch the Fireworks Display. This year, I have MAMA and Antonio with me in the house to watch TV.

As far as food. I don't want to eat BBQ for a long time!

Happy 4th of July Celebrations everyone!

Aunty Lynn aka Aunty Pupule
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Happy 4th of July, 1stwahine

And to everyone else, of course!

Originally posted by kimo55
      what did you notice first:
      that yer neighborhood kids are horrible, or that no one in your household trims dead foliage on your property?
      Well, since you asked so nicely, we didn't take much notice of the neighbor's kids then, because they had only moved in recently at the time. There weren't that many kids on our street up until then, aside from myself. We do take care of plants on and around our/the landlord's property if we can/have to, thanks. We don't just leave dead plants around all year long if that's what you're trying to imply.

Just for your sake, and the fact that I was like 11 at the time, I asked my parents about what happened.

There was some koa bushes and a big ol' banana tree involved. They were on State property, fronting our property and the neighbor's, and the State took care of it pretty often. Half of the family next door moved out, and several of their relatives moved in. We assumed the trees and stuff were being taken care of by the State, as usual. Obviously, it was a bad assumption on our part and maybe we should've tossed whatever was out there, but none of us thought a bunch of 7-year olds would be left unattended with fireworks in the middle of the street, either.

They ended up setting the dried koa bushes on fire, and not the tree, so I got that part wrong. Parents smelled it, ran out, saw the kids there but no adults. The fire was put out before it became too dangerous to handle, and the parental units just narrowly avoided a shouting match. But in the end, the State chopped the tree and cleared all the bushes. So now the neighbors leave their garbage thingy there, and the kids have just gotten worse. Obviously, we know now that those kids can't be trusted with anything even if the parents and grandparents are staring right at them, so we've been much more alert in the years since.
      myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Originally posted by kupomog
        We don't just leave dead plants around all year long if that's what you're trying to imply.

No, I am wondering how this danger wasn't visible or averted:

"They set the banana tree next to our house on fire."

Comment

They ended up setting the dried koa bushes on fire, and not the tree, so I got that part wrong.
          Amazing what kind of insight you can get when you read the entire post.

Comment

It looks like people are staying home today. My siblings, Mom, friends and my brother's friends are staying home today.

Its about 1503, and I was looking forward to the fireworks with my family and friends.

Oh well.
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Whoa mama, our big doggies outside had a massive scrap. That was scary, but lucky none of them are dead. Everyone got majorly dirty, though. Mom has a black eye. She said she feels like a boxer. Crazy night.

Comment

I had my door closed. Then the noise of fireworks started to increase with smoke seeping under the front door. One thing about MWH, they got money to burn! LOL I opened the door to check my car. I looked to the right. There shaking and scared was a black and white kitten. He came right into my hands and I carried him inside. I reached for a package of tuna to give him. All of a sudden there was a loud boom which scared him out of my protective arms. I went looking for him but couldn't find him. For a brief moment I had found LOVE again.

I miss TP. He was my cat. Had him for nearly three years, then one day he didn't come back. It's been almost two years since he's been gone.

more on TP my cat? http:www.hawaiistories.com/lynn

Lynn
                momthreesoldiers
                Last edited by 1stwahine; July 4, 2005, 09:55 PM.

Comment

I'm reviving this thread. K-den. July 4th is fast appraoching. What you all got planned? You know where I stand on Fireworks.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

I start summer session on Monday. And since it's only 6 weeks, that means cramming a lot of work in, so no doubt I'll be doing homework on the 4th. Which is fine with me as long as the kids next door don't pop fireworks in front of our house or past 12.

Comment

I'm bummed it's on a tuesday this year and the state of course will only let us take that day off....

I'd rather have the day after off so you could work on the fourth...then go home and party.... and recover the next day...

Me thinks I'll use a sick day!

Comment

I start summer session on Monday. And since it's only 6 weeks, that means cramming a lot of work in, so no doubt I'll be doing homework on the 4th. Which is fine with me as long as the kids next door don't pop fireworks in front of our house or past 12.
                        kupomog, If it was anything like last year (see your post #21)...you're in trouble dear.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Yeah >.< Dogs are so getting tranq'd this year. We seperate the dogs because ever since the mommy had puppies, she hates the daddy. And he hates the pups for some reason so we keep him on one side and the rest on the other. But everytime there are fireworks, he gets scared, jumps over to their side and just gets beat up. I don't think we can possibly reinforce the fence anymore than we already have, I can barely see over it anymore. If he jumps over the fence this time, then he's clearly just a magic dog. Dumb, but magic. We'll be taking lots of precautions this year, though. I'll keep those dogs from killing each other even if it means I get an owie.

Comment

Yeah >.< Dogs are so getting tranq'd this year. We seperate the dogs because ever since the mommy had puppies, she hates the daddy.
                            Hmmm..too funny! Just like a WOMAN!

Auntie Lynn
                            Last edited by 1stwahine; June 29, 2006, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                              Hmmm..too funny! Just like a Woman!

Auntie Lynn
                              Dang B*tches...

Hope I can say that on this following that post....

No offense
                              Last edited by damontucker; June 29, 2006, 08:05 PM.

Comment

With a house full of asthma sufferers, most pint-sized, the semi-annual pyrofest that is the 4th of July and New Year's is always something to dread, not look forward to. Their effect on pets is no picnic to deal with, either.

I do love professional fireworks shows, and would be happy if that's all there were. I know the Aloha Tower Marketplace display will actually be on Monday, July 3. I imagine the other traditional displays at Ala Moana and in Kailua will be on the 4th as usual.

On the news tonight, they mentioned the city's ban on fireworks in city parks. I know in Makiki, where most folks live in apartment buildings, the local park was pretty much where all the pyromaniacs ended up, resulting in melted playground equipment and trash everywhere. While I'm all for the ban, I imagine it -- like most fireworks-related laws in this city -- will generally go unenforced except in the most blatant of situations.

Comment

Working...
                                X