Fireworks and July 4th!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fireworks and July 4th!

The good news is that it looks like we'll actually have decent tradewinds on the 4th this year... for the first time in a long time... to help dissipate the smoke.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
      I had my door closed. Then the noise of fireworks started to increase with smoke seeping under the front door. One thing about MWH, they got money to burn! LOL I opened the door to check my car. I looked to the right. There shaking and scared was a black and white kitten. He came right into my hands and I carried him inside. I reached for a package of tuna to give him. All of a sudden there was a loud boom which scared him out of my protective arms. I went looking for him but couldn't find him. For a brief moment I had found LOVE again.

I miss TP. He was my cat. Had him for nearly three years, then one day he didn't come back. It's been almost two years since he's been gone.

more on TP my cat? http:www.hawaiistories.com/lynn

Lynn
      momthreesoldiers
      I empathize with you. Can't be anything worse than losing members of the family, two-leggeds or four.

Comment

Originally posted by mamapuleta
        I empathize with you. Can't be anything worse than losing members of the family, two-leggeds or four.
        You made me remember my T.P.

I still miss him sooooo muchie!

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I'm surprised they haven't included paperless fireworks into the permit law yet. Those things can be just as dangerous, smokey and loud as traditional firecrackers.

Gotta' admit, paperless fireworks are pretty cool though. I wish they came out with these when we were kids. Plus, they sure make a lot less mess than traditional firecrackers, which is nice. No "duds" either.

Still, so many people get carried away with their own fireworks, and Oahu's population density now makes it that much more hazardous; especially for those with respiratory problems.

Leave it to the pros.

I wouldn't have said that when I was a teenager though.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I wasn't reminded of the 4th of july until I saw a couple of boys near a smoking rubbish can in Kalihi yesterday . A lot of people will get hung over that night and probably fail a lot of the tests the next day.
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Argh! I've been grounded this year due to bronchitis. So much for my planned fun and smokey coupla days in Malaekahana. Doc says stay inside and seal up the house! Fortunately that won't be difficult but it kicks this long week-end to the curb.

I know...I know...insert sound of one, untuned, violin string!

Comment

In The Honolulu Advertiser this morning
                http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...607010306.html

COMMENTARY
                "Home alone, with secrets and pain to share"
                By Ellen Goodman

I found the article true and blunt to the core. I have the honor to serve elderly single men several times per week. Their only high light for the day is when they go out to kaukau. I listen to their many stories, laugh and cry with them. They can't give me tips but thier stories are worth more to me ...it's History!

It saddens me to think how unlucky some people are not to be able to have someone to "talk" to. Especially Ohana. It saddens me more that we as a Society have put our Lifestyle all to fast to simply enjoy each other.

Reading the article this morning, having celebrations for a fabulous July 4th weekend has made me rethink what is priority in my Life.

Yes, I am blessed to have an Ohana who takes time to wala'au with me, friends who sometimes can't shut-up and an Online Ohana who I can count on for advice as well as ventilate to.

Mahalo everyone!

Happy Independence Day Celebrations!
                GOD BLESS AMERICA

Auntie Lynn

btw: Ukipila things going on!
                City to let everyone eat cake
                To celebrate Honolulu's 100th birthday, the largest cake in city history will be served for free from 10:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. tomorrow at Honolulu Hale.

http://starbulletin.com/2005/07/01/features/story1.html
                For more places to celebrate!
                Last edited by 1stwahine; July 1, 2006, 09:11 AM.
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I'm planning to enjoy the festivities Mon night at Aloha Tower, then on Tues, I'll attend the Kailua celebration. If anybody's gonna be at either one (or both), let me know!

Happy 4th, everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                    btw: Ukipila things going on!
                    City to let everyone eat cake
                    To celebrate Honolulu's 100th birthday, the largest cake in city history will be served for free from 10:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. tomorrow at Honolulu Hale.

http://starbulletin.com/2005/07/01/features/story1.html
                    For more places to celebrate!
                    I plan to have cake on Sun too--anybody else gonna be there?

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos

I hope to go to Kailua for their show one of these years too.
                      I was at Kailua Beach Park last year for the 4th fireworks...awesome.
                      Very depressed that I'm not there this year...my last 2 4ths have been in Hawaii, but not this year.
                      I'm jealous of every last one of you :-)

Happy 4th !
                      http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                      Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                      Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

On the eve of the celebration of America's birth, a poem written by Langston Hughes, one of the foremost contemporary black American authors/poets.

"...We, the people, must redeem
                        The land, the mines, the plants, the rivers.
                        The mountains and the endless plain--
                        All, all the stretch of these great green states--
                        And make America again! "

A biography about the author, Langston Hughes.

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos
                          I plan to have cake on Sun too--anybody else gonna be there?
                          We didn't plan on going down, but after fighting for street parking on S. King across from the post office for my daughter's swim lesson at the YWCA (which was cut short 'cause one kid did not wait 40 minutes after eating), we decided to walk over.

The kids ended up collecting prizes from all those tents (mostly keychains), riding various rides (most $1, which isn't as bad as Heather's Inflatables can get, at least), and then checking out the giant cake. While my daughter was admiring it, Daryl Huff from KITV interviewed her for the 5 p.m. news!

Happy Birthday, Honolulu. Even if this "Centennial" is a couple of years late.

Anyone braving the crowds for Aloha Tower Marketplace's "3rd of July" festivities and fireworks tomorrow? I'll be in the neighborhood for work, but probably won't see much.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                            [...]While my daughter was admiring it, Daryl Huff from KITV interviewed her for the 5 p.m. news![...]
                            Too cute! Way to go, Katie! Hopefully KITV will repeat that segment at 10p. And, hopefully, I can stay awake 'til then! Might youtube be in the future?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                              The kids ended up collecting prizes from all those tents (mostly keychains),
                              and we all know how many keys kids generally have.

Comment

"Might youtube be in the future?"

Or how about Hawaiitube.com?

(I hearby giving permission to PZ to use that... )

And congrats to your future Hollywood cutie!
                                The paparazzi are already chasing her down
                                Last edited by damontucker; July 2, 2006, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X