Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BYOB in Hawaii?

Aloha!
    I read something interesting last night - hopefully someone has some insight. As I myself enjoy cocktails, I was shocked to learn that it is legal (and sometimes welcomed) to bring your own adult beverages into restaurants. . . . . can anyone confirm this? 85 days till I make the leap and try to make a home in paradise!
    Mahalo
    Stephen

Re: Hello from Waikiki

Originally posted by Stephen
    I was shocked to learn that it is legal (and sometimes welcomed) to bring your own adult beverages into restaurants. . . .
    ...although this should be another thread,
    Yes. sometimes "welcomed". but of course, not across the board.
    Call first and confirm.

http://www.hawaiidiner.com/directory...at=68&island=1

http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacif...7/smallb2.html

Comment

Re: Hello from Waikiki

Mahalo Kimo - 84 more days!

Comment

Re: BYOB in Hawaii?

Some restaurants don't have a liquor license. So they welcome customers bringing in their alcoholic drinks.

Comment

Hawai'i use to have Bottle Clubs. It was like any night spot or Bar but the difference was you could bring your own liquor. You had to purchase the mixers, sodas, ice, etc. Also, purchase all pupu's from the establishment.

At one time I wanted to try to open a place like this. I don't think it could work in today's Market. Plus, maybe the law's have changed.

Oh! There was always entertainment.
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
            Hawai'i use to have Bottle Clubs. It was like any night spot or Bar but the difference was you could bring your own liquor. You had to purchase the mixers, sodas, ice, etc. Also, purchase all pupu's from the establishment.

At one time I wanted to try to open a place like this. I don't think it could work in today's Market. Plus, maybe the law's have changed.

Oh! There was always entertainment.
            Well, that's the way it works in the state of Utah. You can't buy liquor by the drink in any bar (except in Park City, which is inhabited by yuppie tourists). You have to buy minibottles from the state liquor outlets or join private clubs to order hard liquor by the drink. Most public "bars" and restaurants will sell you the ice and the mixer, you provide the booze. Some snooty restaurants will allow you to bring in your own wine, but they charge you a pretty hefty corkage fee. I also think that's why alcoholism is such a problem in SLC! When I was in college there, you couldn't even get "real" beer. You could only buy "down" beer (1.2% alcohol) so if you wanted the real stuff, you had to cross the border into Wyoming and bring the stuff back in the trunk of your car.

I think the reason why the non-licensed places in Hawai'i sometimes allow people to bring in their own booze is because the liquor laws only affect licensed places (i.e., you can't bring in your own booze from the outside if the place has a liquor license), and they think it will increase their traffic. But I don't know if I would want to risk being sued by someone who brought in their own liquor, got drunk and then later got into an accident (in this case, would the restaurant be liable because it has no control over the amount of alcohol consumed by the guest?)

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

A large number of Chinese Restaurants in Hawaii will allow you to do this.
              Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

yah byob long time in hawaii... most chinese restaurants welcome u to byob.
                Reggie aka pinakboy
                Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
                Raw Eats Veggie Videos
                Recipe Tube TV!
                Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

Working...
                X