Explosions in London's transit system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explosions in London's transit system

This story interrupt KITV for a few minutes just before midnight (HST), then I tuned in to CNN were it is reported that there were few explosions in London's transit systems. Some affect the subway and another two was reported on the bus system.

The link here is from CNN's web site, since this is a on-going story the link or the story may change.
    Last edited by helen; July 7, 2005, 12:43 AM.

Re: Explosions in London's transit system

We are on ORANGE Alert!
    Last edited by 1stwahine; July 7, 2005, 07:01 AM. Reason: orange color too light, changed it to red...why badda you?
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

The orange alert is only for mass transit systems (buses, subways, trains) and their main concern is with the mass transit systems on the mainland: DC, NYC, Boston, Atlanta.

Both Tony Blair and the Prez spoke this morning about never giving in to terrorists because these people are using fear to keep victims from going about their business. Did it ever occur to them that possibly the reason why the terrorists are acting out is because the people of Afghanistan and Iraq are being terrorized by the US and British troops in their own countries? That through occupation, the people of Iraq especially cannot go about their daily lives without fear? Oh wait. I forgot. We're not terrorists, we're LIBERATORS. What a crock.

There's a law in physics: for every action, there is an equal reaction. Could this be why the terrorists do what they do? Which side will be the first to break the cycle? Wouldn't you feel safer if the National Guard was at home protecting us from possible attacks instead of terrorizing the Iraqis?

Miulang

P.S. the other thing is so far, the Brits have not definitely said it was "al Qaeda terrorists" who caused the bombings. For all we know, it could have been a bunch of pissed off Parisians who were upset that London got chosen over Paris to host the 2012 summer Olympics.
      Last edited by Miulang; July 7, 2005, 07:18 AM.
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

While I hate George Bush and his foreign policy as much as the next commie pinko leftist hippie, rather than seizing this moment for more political rhetoric and coldly asserting that "we" (as in Western peoples) just got what we deserved... I think I'd just like to express my condolences and compassion for those innocents killed (33 so far) and injured in this horrible, malicious act.

Comment

While I'm appalled that anyone would deliberately blow up civilians like this, I can't help but think that this attack only plays into Bush and Blair's hands by bolstering their justifications for their war policies.

Comment

My brother is in London. We were scrambling most of the morning to find him. Turns out he and his girlfriend are fine, but their traveling companion who went out to wander around hasn't come back yet. It's weird to have a link to something on the other side of the planet... and it's interesting how, despite the wonders and prevalence of technology, how hard it can still be to connect to someone when it matters.

Comment

Oooh...here's a little story from al Jazeera that says Benjamin Netanyahu, the Israeli Finance Minister, was in London to attend an economic conference because he got a pre-attack warning from Scotland Yard minutes before the blasts. Turns out the hotel that was holding the conference was directly above one of the Tube stops that got bombed. Hmmm...maybe it was Palestinian rebels and not al Qaeda that set the bombs off...

Here's a little tip for those of you who use your cell phones exclusively; in an emergency, more than likely you will not be able to get through to anyone. Either find a payphone or purchase one of those prepaid phone cards for use in an emergency. For some reason, the toll free numbers on the prepaid phone cards can be accessed during emergencies (during the earthquake of 2002 in Seattle I used a prepaid phone card and got through where a lot of the people with cellphones couldn't get through).

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

People's convictions strengthen or change after terrorist attacks. I was in Australia just before and then when the Bali incident happened. Many Australians were against the American interventions in Afganistan. Saying just to leave "them" alone. Then after the Australians were killed and hurt in Bali it changed to "Let's go get them!" I don't know how the Madrid incident has affected the majority of their population. And we'll see now what happens after the dust settles in London. To tell you the truth about myself... I'm a hippie with a haircut, wishing for peace-love-and... I'm also a Christian who thinks that "To turn the other cheek" is a good way to try and live. I wonder if it can truly be done?
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Well, we've tried it both ways (turned the other cheek and all-out war), but neither method will stop this barbarism. We need a Gandhi of Islam:
                  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml;jsessionid=KOCQEOXHZMBDZQFIQMFCM54AVCBQ YJVC?xml=/opinion/2005/07/09/do09.xml&sSheet=/opinion/2005/07/09/ixop.html&secureRefresh=true&_requestid=25278
                  Last edited by U'ilani; July 9, 2005, 02:19 PM.
                  * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                  - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Now the AP is reporting there was no advance warning about the attack given to the Israelis:

http://news.findlaw.com/ap/i/631/07-...e3500ec3d.html

And it seems Al-Qaeda was behind this, not a bunch of "pissed off Parisians" as previously mentioned:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4660391.stm

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy2
                      I'm also a Christian who thinks that "To turn the other cheek" is a good way to try and live. I wonder if it can truly be done? :

Oh, I dunno, I think we can bend just this once and make a scourge of cords, and napalm, and nuclear weapons and drive the infidels from the earth as this dude shows us in this here parable:

http://tinyurl.com/7fb38

Comment

I'm also a Christian who thinks that "To turn the other cheek" is a good way to try and live. I wonder if it can truly be done?

No, but it can falsely be done. Will that do?
                        lissen. We are dealing with people who want to kill white people. Like you. And your loved ones.
                        Ya wanna be led by biblical teachings?

"The principle of justice that requires punishment equal in kind to the offense (not greater than the offense, as was frequently given in ancient times). Thus, if someone puts out another's eye, one of the offender's eyes should be put out. The principle is stated in the Book of Exodus as “Thou shalt give life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand,..."

Comment

People's convictions strengthen or change after terrorist attacks. I'm...a Christian who thinks that "To turn the other cheek" is a good way to try and live.
                          ...and you assume adhereing to that philosophy would prove to be a good way to try and stay alive?
                          It doesn't.
                          IF.... a sentence of death was a decent punishment for lying, and it's good enuff for the christian god, what would you say is proportionate punishment to the acts of mass slaughter of innocents abroad and here "at home", by terrorists?

God killed individuals because they engaged in various transgressions in the Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament).

and...for lying about Church donations: Acts 5:1 to 11 describes how a couple, Ananias and Sapphira... sold some piece of real estate. They gave part of the money to the apostles, claiming it was the full proceeds from the sale. Peter saw their act as lying to the Holy Ghost. God killed Ananias on the spot. Three hours later, Sapphira repeated the lie to Peter. He cursed her and God killed her immediately. Members of the church were understandably terrified, and this was the intended effect. Don't fut around, oddawise, you goin' maki die dead.
                          Last edited by kimo55; July 9, 2005, 03:42 PM.

Comment

i think it was a bunch of english kids who did the bombing ... probably mad at the government and wanted to over throw it. cuz if al quaida did it .. they would have done a more drastic job , this was obviously amatuer. hopefully their scared shitless. but ...english governments arent looking for these anarchists , their looking for arabs. al quaida dumb fucks probably said they did the bombings cuz they were missing for a while and wanted to let people know their still around.
                            Ebb And Flow

Comment

you cant turn the other cheek to terrorists . cuz their shoot your face. its probably not a good idea to fight terrorism with terrorism. buuuuuT first step would be to get rid of those arab turban face covered fucks. than work with governments for peace. but president bush doesnt show alot of respect for other governments , hes too arrogant. if he was a bit more humble and understanding people would probably support him more , especially the middle east.
                              Ebb And Flow

Comment

Working...
                              X