Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Leaving Paradise...

Originally posted by Mangoseed
    My wife and I left Hawaii to travel, live and work in different parts of the world. I would love to be able to spend my final years in the place I was born and raised, but we are not able to afford the cost of living. I must say that one of the things I miss most is "my people," the local people. I am a retired career teacher, and the thing I hated most about teaching on the mainland was kids making fun of my being Oriental. Yes, sad to say that many people in America think in terms of Black and White as the only "real" Americans. Japanese, Chinese, Filipino, etc. types are not "bonafide," they say.
    Mangoseed,

I hear you loud & clear, brah. I lived in Miami for 4 years and I couldn't believe how a lot of people were ignorant of the different type of Asian cultures. It didn't help that there weren't many orientals down there when I was there (91-95), either.

Where abouts in Florida do you live? In my experience, this ignorance was even worse in Central & North Florida where the cultures weren't as diverse as they were in South Florida.

Comment

I was reading on the other thread about people moving here and islanders moving away. I started this thread when my children were away. Now they are all here. Unfortuanately, my middle daughter, Ligaya talked with me last week. She's Kiana's mommy. She just got out of the Army as a Staff Sargent. She worked for Military Intellegence and was damn good. Her husband is now in Iraq.

We talked. My daughter and I. Her counterparts in her line of work makes an average of $80,000+ on the East Coast and Washington D.C. There is a need of people like her due to the present situation of our country.

Although it would deeply sadden me for her to leave our islands...I know her heart as well as her future is not here. I gave her my blessings and told her to go.

I am proud of my children's accomplishments. From humble beginnings from MWH, they have ventured around the world. They all did and still continue to do their duties in protecting our country the best they know how.

I am a Military Mother who will always be here in Hawai'i to welcome them Home.

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
        I was reading on the other thread about people moving here and islanders moving away. I started this thread when my children were away. Now they are all here. Unfortuanately, my middle daughter, Ligaya talked with me last week. She's Kiana's mommy. She just got out of the Army as a Staff Sargent. She worked for Military Intellegence and was damn good. Her husband is now in Iraq.

We talked. My daughter and I. Her counterparts in her line of work makes an average of $80,000+ on the East Coast and Washington D.C. There is a need of people like her due to the present situation of our country.

Although it would deeply sadden me for her to leave our islands...I know her heart as well as her future is not here. I gave her my blessings and told her to go.

I am proud of my children's accomplishments. From humble beginnings from MWH, they have ventured around the world. They all did and still continue to do their duties in protecting our country the best they know how.

I am a Military Mother who will always be here in Hawai'i to welcome them Home.

Auntie Lynn
        Aw, Tita! That's kind of sad for you, though. But you express the thoughts of many other local parents, I think. My parents told me to come to the Mainland because they knew the opportunities were better for me up here after I was finished with college. And it has been a good life, but it's almost time for me to go back to Hawai'i and give back some of what I have gained.

Too bad Gaya can't be on the West Coast! Maybe she can work in DC for a few years (while Justin is overseas) and then they can find good paying jobs on the West Coast so you can come visit them and Kiana often! Thank goodness that technology has advanced so that you can use the internet to stay in touch with them, though.

Malama pono,
        Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Tita Miulang, With the kind of money she going be making ~ she going send foa me anytime I like come visit. Das how my kids are. Anyting I like, they give. Even if I no like...they give!

My children are my Best Friends. We've been through so much together. I'm in awe everyday of how they turned out. I've never experienced heartache from any of them.

They continue to excell in their own individual fields. Christy will soon be one of HPD's Finest! I going be an HPD Officer Mommy!hahahahaha

Das means I gotta stop whack whacking people.

Can imagine the headlines! Auntie pUpule arrested by daughter!

Auntie Lynn
          Last edited by 1stwahine; September 15, 2006, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Neba mind.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
              Neba mind.

Auntie Lynn
              You have the right to remain silent....

(Fat chance! Don't you neba mind us!)
              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
              ~ ~
              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                You have the right to remain silent....

(Fat chance! Don't you neba mind us!)
                heheheh...

I was a bit sad but you made me laugh.

Mahalo,

Auntie Lynn

Ok...ok...my daughter, Christy is being deployed to Afganistan this week. She returned from Iraq last year. I should be used to it but not. I'm not grumbling, it's their jobs, their duty for our country.

God bless the United States of America and the Men and Women of our Armed Forces!!

And their Loved Ones who wait for them back home.
                Last edited by 1stwahine; February 8, 2010, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Ok...ok...my daughter, Christy is being deployed to Afganistan this week. She returned from Iraq last year. I should be used to it but not. I'm not grumbling, it's their jobs, their duty for our country.
                  While we can be proud of the job they do, Auntie, NEVER get "used to" any aspect of war. If we should ever get "used to" wars, we lose our various desires to see them end, and our motivations to achieve that goal.

Comment

Ok...ok...my daughter, Christy is being deployed to Afganistan this week. She returned from Iraq last year. I should be used to it but not. I'm not grumbling, it's their jobs, their duty for our country. God bless the United States of America and the Men and Women of our Armed Forces!!And their Loved Ones who wait for them back home.
                    Oh Auntie Lynn, a Mom never ever can get used to seeing their child put in the way of danger. Your feelings are the feelings that every loving Mom feels. You have reason to be proud of your daughter, and she of you for your strength in supporting her during trying times.
                    We will be thinking of Christy, and you, and I for one am already focusing on her SAFE RETURN!
                    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                      Miulang
                      Whatever happened to Miulang?
                      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
                      X