Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Leaving Paradise...

Originally posted by Shan-n

Well I am a single mom of an 8 yr old son and although I have a pretty good job I have been considering relocating to the mainland (Washington State) for the past year. I am familiar with Washington as I visit there about 2 times a year. The cost of living here in Hawaii is just too expensive.So for all of you who have moved to the mainland I give you lots of credit and I look up to you. I just hope and pray that if I do decide to move that it will be the best decision I ever made.
    When I moved to da mainland when I was 16 I nevah have choice, my mom decided to go to TN an I was like hillbillie land NOWAY, so she sent me to live wid my Dad in CA. well I stay 34 now an we jus moved from CA to Missouri (my hubby from Kansas City) because housing like in Hawaii is out of control we lived in my grandparents house that was 2 bedroom 1 bath... we had 6 ppl living there. no enough room an personal probs dat no need be talked about prompted my husband to say go look online at da housing costs in Missouri. well 3months aftah saying we go... we went. sold da house in CA bought one in Missouri. we been hea for almost 4 months an da ppl nice and even tho its cold its not too bad. da house we bought here would go for in Ca for $800,000-over $1,000,000 in da same kine neighborhood we paid a little over $120,000 an I finnaly found one chinese restaurant dat is halfway decent. My oldest son had to repeat a grade cause da schools soooo much better hea dat he would have been behind big time an I nevah like him suffer. Cali is 47th in da nation in da top 50 schools an Missouri stay 28th
    My sister still stay in Hawaii but she is 44 an renting an getting to wea she really tinking of leaving cause of da high costs. I tell her come I help you get on your feet she say she need wait see if can get her daughter to come too.
    so I wait an see
    come if you know you an your kids goin have one better life can always go visit.... sad tho dat da state not tinkin about da normal people an how dey goin live since its da regular peoples that work da tourist industries an keep da state operating
    your dads house probly worth 100x times what he paid for it all those years ago.. he could get one good loan for you to buy one house in WA an den jus pay da payments an in no time all da mortgage paid an still get plany equity in da Hawaii house
    Support Lung Cancer Research

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina
      Yeah Auntie, what happpened to that New Years Resolution eh?

Like I said Auntie, you always make me smile. God Bless.
      Lei, My New Years Resolution is "keeping the weight off"...das what I was trying to do!

Love, Auntie Lynn

...back on the subject: Leaving Paradise, I'm happy to report that my youngest daughter didn't take the position in Alaska. She'll be here at Hickim. Her husband and her are in the process of buying their first home. It's a family affair when we sit around and she asks MAMA and I about the areas and what we think. We all have to think about the areas for Antonio's environment as well.

My middle daughter Ligaya and husband Justin are expecting their first child in August and will be station in Hawai'i too. Conrad already is station with the Stryker Brigade.

I'll be having my kids in Paradise some more years with me!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
        Shan-n: Whatever you decide, it will be the best decision you can make. Lots of locals have moved up here to the Pacific NW and made very good lives for themselves. The cost of living is certainly lower than Hawai'i, housing is slightly cheaper and wages are about 20% higher than in Hawai'i, depending on your profession.
        Miulang
        Miulang, thank you for your words of encouragement! Like you I love to get in the car and drive to a new place. When in Washington we often catch the ferry to Whidbey Island and see family friends. I am trying to look at it like moving will be a new adventure for my son and I. I'll give it 1 year and if it doesn't work out then we can move back home.

Kaneohe girl, you are so nice to let your sis live with you till she gets on her feet. My best friend has wanted me to move up to Seattle for the past 2 years. She thinks it will be good for my son and I. We can stay with her until we get on our feet! I am so lucky to have such a wonderful best friend!

Aunty Lynn, I think we gotta stop waiting for prince charming to come find us, we gotta get out there and find THEM! LOL

Comment

'I know exactly how you feel. My husband and I left for 2 reasons, he missed his family so much and for financial reasons.'

And there's likely as many a haole husband who stays in Hawaii because it's about as far away as he can afford to get from his family and "former life" and/or lifestyle (reputation and/or criminal recrord) on the mainland.
          Last edited by waioli kai; January 6, 2006, 06:11 PM.

Comment

I'm plannning to move to either Portland or Seattle, myself. Seattle is my first choice--I've been to both cities, and I like the large ex-pat community and overall city vibe.

Can anyone who lives there or is knowledgeable about either place give me the low-down? How are the people there? Is it easy for a kamaaina to get started there, economy, etc? Thanks MBS

Comment

See my comments in the "Aloha from Los Angeles" thread, mbs. Hope all your plans work out.

Comment

It's sad to say goodbye. I've just left after being home for 7 or 8 years. I'd been gone 7 years before that (for college and after school) and never thought I'd return to Hawaii, but I did once my grandparents' health started to deteriorate. Now, I'm back on the mainland - for personal reasons again - and I have to say, I cry almost every day. I miss my family, my underpaid/overworked job, swimming at Ala Moana Beach Park, Gold's Gym and hanging out at Borders. But - being single on the island's not easy. I'm not single, but my girlfriends and I used to complain about the lack of selection of motivated, ambitious men. I've always imported. But quite a few of my girlfriends left because they didn't think they'd meet the "right" guy in Hawaii. So they headed to LA, Washingston state and Vegas. Underpaid jobs, overpaid milk, you can't get a decent place to live for under a 1/2 a million dollars and lack of educated, goal oriented partners... it's easy to see why so many of us leave. Really, can young professionals get ahead?
                But it sure is hard to trade in the bikini for a 30 degree WX, down jackets and UGGS.

Comment

Howzit Melisa. Nice to meet you, but too bad it's only once you've left! We all make our own choices in life as to what's best for us. We all have different priorities. Good luck, and stick around over here at HT if you like, too.

Comment

I started this thread on July 9, 2005. Full of anger and questions. I am happy to report ~ tonight, I will have my three children in my arms at the same time in eight years!

I waited a looong time for this day. Many tears, heartaches and pain as a Military Mother!

Conrad is stationed here with the Stryker Brigade.

Christy @ Hickim.

Justin @ Schofield.

Gaya in Florida but will be coming back to Schofield.

Christy & Izzy just purchased their first home.

Yep, everything is coming out ok ~ afterall. Just gotta believe.

Auntie Lynn
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                      Yep, everything is coming out ok ~ afterall.
                      "Life, according to Zen, ought to be lived as a bird flies through the air, or as a fish swims in the water. ~~~ D.T. Suzuki ~~~

A philosophy like that helps to make sure everything comes out ok; just have the flexibility to adapt your definition of "ok" (and I think you do, Lynn, I think you do.) I'm happy to hear your good news!

Comment

Originally posted by Melisa
                        Underpaid jobs, overpaid milk, you can't get a decent place to live for under a 1/2 a million dollars and lack of educated, goal oriented partners... it's easy to see why so many of us leave. Really, can young professionals get ahead?
                        Wow isn’t this what Hawai‘i’s all about for us Generation X-ers?! I love all the beautiful things about the Islands, but if you don’t have time to enjoy it, it’s mostly for the malahini to experience!

I’m seriously considering a move to the mainland. Lowest unemployment rate in the nation here is because unless you’re in a union (excluding HSTA), the jobs pay dirt here!!!

In my industry people are getting laid off left and right. And, like the engineer who posted earlier, I haven’t gotten a raise in 3 years. Any recommendations???

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                        USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

Yeah, come up here to the Mainland because you can make more money and have more opps. Isn't that what your friends and family have told you to do?

But I tell you what (speaking from the voice of experience): That's exactly what I did so many years ago, and yes, I've been able to build a good life, good career, make good money, etc. etc. etc. But the older you get the more you realize that it isn't "all about the money". Experience what it's like to be "in the minority" up here on the Mainland either because you look different or because of your unique "Hawaiian" accent (yes, even if you speak perfect English, some people can detect that you're not like them). Get spoiled by immediate gratification that you get because everything you could ever want or need is available to you 24x7. Commute for hours everyday to work because you can't afford to live closer to your job.

Eventually, if you're like so many of the expats up here, you really start thinking about "home" and "ohana".Your visits back to Hawai'i will be more frequent as time goes on. You will start to treasure that which you left behind, because once you leave, it becomes really really hard to move back to the 'aina.

It also becomes hard to stomach what you read in the online versions of the StarBulletin and Advertiser...the ice problem, the overcrowding, the high prices, the loss of farmland to development. Because until you leave Hawai'i and do some travelling up here and see what the Mainland has become, you can never fully appreciate how lucky you were to be born in Hawai'i. You will also want to say, "stop the madness, Hawai'i...don't become another Los Angeles."

Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Eventually, if you're like so many of the expats up here, you really start thinking about "home" and "ohana".Your visits back to Hawai'i will be more frequent as time goes on. You will start to treasure that which you left behind, because once you leave, it becomes really really hard to move back to the 'aina.Miulang

I think this is true. I have mainland friends from good ole high school dayz who are seeming to come back more often. But I think its because, like you said, they are starting to reminisce about the good old dayz, but also because they know DAMN WELL THEY AIN'T COMIN BACK.

I think it's more of a goodbye thing. They are taking more trips back so that they can say goodbye to their parents and grandparents. So they can bid aloha to their friends and cousins. There is a burst of trips in their 30s and 40s when their kids are really young, and then it stops. Pau. Their kids start to like THEIR homes more than Hawaii and now the parents slowly disconnect from Hawaii. They get to the point where financially they could move back to Hawaii but instead choose to stay for a variety of reasons.

Thats the process I see. All by choice so no problem to me. Just interesting.

Aloha

Comment

Yeah, come up here to the Mainland because you can make more money and have more opps. Isn't that what your friends and family have told you to do?

But I tell you what (speaking from the voice of experience): That's exactly what I did so many years ago, and yes, I've been able to build a good life, good career, make good money, etc. etc. etc. But the older you get the more you realize that it isn't "all about the money". Experience what it's like to be "in the minority" up here on the Mainland either because you look different or because of your unique "Hawaiian" accent (yes, even if you speak perfect English, some people can detect that you're not like them). Get spoiled by immediate gratification that you get because everything you could ever want or need is available to you 24x7. Commute for hours everyday to work because you can't afford to live closer to your job.

Eventually, if you're like so many of the expats up here, you really start thinking about "home" and "ohana".Your visits back to Hawai'i will be more frequent as time goes on. You will start to treasure that which you left behind, because once you leave, it becomes really really hard to move back to the 'aina.

It also becomes hard to stomach what you read in the online versions of the StarBulletin and Advertiser...the ice problem, the overcrowding, the high prices, the loss of farmland to development. Because until you leave Hawai'i and do some travelling up here and see what the Mainland has become, you can never fully appreciate how lucky you were to be born in Hawai'i. You will also want to say, "stop the madness, Hawai'i...don't become another Los Angeles."

Miulang
                              Maikai. Even if you love da 'aina with all your heart like me, you REALLY dont realize what you lost until you leave. My wife lives on Guam and I decided to move there because she is still in the process of rasing three of her four keiki from a previous marriage.

Hawai'i may have a high cost of living and dat other stuff.....but Hawai'i has something that i have NEVER seen anywhere else.....SPIRIT. I'll tell you this, Guam may be an island, but IT AINT HAWAI'I, people in Guam seem "Haolefied" and more like Mainlanders than Islanders.

There is only ONE 'aina, and I WILL move back at the first opporotunity, because all the money in da world can NEVER make up for a simple shaka and a "howzit, bra".

Comment

Originally posted by Missing da 'aina
                                [...]There is only ONE 'aina, and I WILL move back at the first opporotunity, because all the money in da world can NEVER make up for a simple shaka and a "howzit, bra".
                                So incredibly true.

Comment

Working...
                                X