Korean TV soaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Korean TV soaps

anyone watch korean tv soaps? they are pretty good.
    Fair and Balanced

Re: Korean TV soaps

The phenomenon of non-Koreans watching Korean soap operas is fascinating, and is even gaining attention in Korea. The English-language version of Chosun Ilbo (S. Korea's biggest paper) recently had this article:

Korean Dramas Gain Passionate Fans in U.S.

The biggest and most popular recent soap opera in Korea, Daejanggeum, however is shown here without subtitiles. I'm not sure why that's the case, but I've heard that it's because it's a historical drama, and historical dramas cost about 3x as much to translate as contemporary ones because of the need to deal with archaic language, etc.
    Sun-Ki Chai
    崔勝基 (최승기)
    sunki@hawaii.edu
    www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Comment

the one i am watching now is mon-tues "stairway to heaven" with choi ji woo. i love choi ji woo, she is my favorite korean actress.
      Fair and Balanced

Comment

Originally posted by easTTriver
        the one i am watching now is mon-tues "stairway to heaven" with choi ji woo. i love choi ji woo, she is my favorite korean actress.
        Choi Ji Woo is also big in Japan because of her role in "Winter Sonata", which has become a major pop culture phenomenon there. Recently, however, there was a mini-international scandal when "Josei Seven" (a woman's mag in Japan) accused her of having been uh, facially enhanced. . .
        Sun-Ki Chai
        崔勝基 (최승기)
        sunki@hawaii.edu
        www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Comment

I've got to start watching Korean soaps now that I'm retired. I did watch them while I visited Korea! And watch them while I'm eating noodles at Taiyo Ramen!
          Someone told me that Korean soaps are more realistic as compared to Japanese soaps.
          Retired Senior Member

Comment

Hi, I am new here. My name is Lisa, originally from Japan. I have been in Hawaii for a year, so I do not know about "Winter Sonata" thing, which made a big hit in Japan. It started after I left Japan. But a friend of mine told me it's so popular in Japan as some travel agency has arranged a special tour to Seoul. They take Japanese tourists to the places where the drama was shot.
            As to your comment that Korean soaps are more realistic than Japanese ones, ...........could be. Japanese soaps are more like fantacy. uh....some are, of course, realistic but not really. I try to watch Korean soaps here. Do they air "Winter Sonata" here too?

undefined
            Originally posted by Mocha
            I've got to start watching Korean soaps now that I'm retired. I did watch them while I visited Korea! And watch them while I'm eating noodles at Taiyo Ramen!
            Someone told me that Korean soaps are more realistic as compared to Japanese soaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa808
              Hi, I am new here. My name is Lisa, originally from Japan. I have been in Hawaii for a year, so I do not know about "Winter Sonata" thing, which made a big hit in Japan. It started after I left Japan. But a friend of mine told me it's so popular in Japan as some travel agency has arranged a special tour to Seoul. They take Japanese tourists to the places where the drama was shot.
              As to your comment that Korean soaps are more realistic than Japanese ones, ...........could be. Japanese soaps are more like fantacy. uh....some are, of course, realistic but not really. I try to watch Korean soaps here. Do they air "Winter Sonata" here too?

undefined
              it is called "winter ballad" here, and they aired it about 2 years ago in hawaii. they haven't re-aired it yet, but they have the series available on DVD.
              Fair and Balanced

Comment

it is called "winter ballad" here, and they aired it about 2 years ago in hawaii. they haven't re-aired it yet, but they have the series available on DVD.

Thanks! I will check it out at BlockBuster......uhm...maybe better go to a Korean video shop, right?

Comment

Hi! I watch stairway to Heaven too, but I went on a trip and I missed seeing episodes 9-12. Did you or anyone you know happen to tape these episodes? If so, I would be willing to buy them or pay whoever owns them to let me borrow them for a couple of days.

Comment

A new article about Korean soaps and their success beyond the Korean community appears in today's Honolulu Star-Bulletin:

http://starbulletin.com/2004/07/11/features/story1.html

The genre seems to be a boom for local TV station KBFD 32 UHF.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                      A new article about Korean soaps and their success beyond the Korean community appears in today's Honolulu Star-Bulletin:

http://starbulletin.com/2004/07/11/features/story1.html

The genre seems to be a boom for local TV station KBFD 32 UHF.
                      I thought that was pretty cool of the Star-Bulletin to do a story on that--especially their showcasing the main couple in the "Sweet 18" drama at the top of the paper's front page!

I think the added interest (i.e., besides the superb soap opera qualities exemplified by the actors/actresses, story line, and music) in K-drama for Hawaii residents has some to do with NGN's Japanese-language programming's (they also show KBFD's K-drama reruns daily) lack of shows with English subtitling. Also, there haven't been many new shows airing on KIKU TV of late--just reruns after reruns.
                      Get Firefox
                      web browsing redefined

Comment

hello lisa, i know this is a little bit late reply. i wonder if you could tell me where i can buy "winter sonata"...i've been curious if the woman (woo) and the guy (kwon woo, i'm not really sure their names but i apologize if i type it wrong) from Stairway to heaven cast has another soap opera, or movie. I saw a little bit of stairway to heaven when i was in hawaii, and i never got a chance to see the whole story until i went to the Phils. for vacation, and bought the dvd...:-)
                        thanks

Comment

Hi everybody! First of all, please no laugh. I fell in LOVE, with Korean Soap Opera! One entitled, "Autumn in My Heart!"

I never was interested and couldn't understand why the loyal local following too. Now, I am one to add. Make that two. MAMA AND ME!

Auntie Lynn
                          Last edited by 1stwahine; August 12, 2005, 06:17 PM.
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I don't currently watch any, but I was obsessed like crazy with one called Dear Encounter when I was in middle school. I believe it starred Lee Min Young and Park Sang Min. God, I wish I could see that one again... I watched several others after that, including another one with Lee Min Young, until they ended. I wish KBFD and KIKU would replay their dramas, there are a lot Japanese dramas I want to see again, I even e-mailed them asking if they would ever reconsider, and they said no
                            myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

i fell in love with a korean soap opera about 7 years ago. i was able to get a new york tv station where i then lived. it was aired after the korean news and the length of the airing depended on the amount of news reported that night. some of the episodes were only 5 minutes long. i have since moved and now i haven't been able to forget it. the problem is i do not remember the name of the show. the opening shot was of a bridge. the cast included several older women one was called aunt, she was secretly the mother of one of the young women who thought she was her aunt. there was a young couple who married while i was watching it and an older couple who married. the woman had a child from a previous marriage. this family was not wealthy, they lived simply and the show was great. there was much cooking and preparing for holidays. can anyone help me find this or remember the name of the show? thank you scarlet
                              Last edited by scarlet; December 11, 2005, 12:19 PM. Reason: mis spelled words

Comment

Working...
                              X