Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii Crime Watch

Originally posted by scrivener
    Grunchley's post certainly seemed below the belt and it did seem mean-spirited, but it wasn't entirely out of place;
    My intention wasn't at all to be mean spirited, it was to address the credibility of the person operating the site. It seems to me that if you operate a website that proclaims to act as a neighborhood watch, the credibility of those in charge should be questioned and addressed.

If an individual were to form a neighborhood watch group in my neighborhood, I'd want to make sure he or she wasn't a felon or sex offender.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
      Okay, Ryan, I'm a little unclear on the comment above.
      Sorry about that. I started the sentence with "they are two different things" in mind, but by the time I got halfway in, I forgot my point. It's not the first time. Sorry for the confusion!
      My intention wasn't at all to be mean spirited, it was to address the credibility of the person operating the site.
      Whatever your intention, if the public WHOIS information was redacted out of courtesy to the poster, I think it would've been obvious that posting a court record would have been received poorly.

I see your point, but I still think it was overkill considering the circumstances. I don't think you were the only person here to go looking for more information on the domain registrant (in fact, I know you weren't). The difference is, you felt compelled to post it. A TRO filing, six years ago and quietly expired, in and of itself is not proof of a questionable character. And only marginally relevant.

We can give everyone we meet the first degree, do a full background and credit check, and even respectfully request a drug test. But we use our judgement to determine just how far we should go. Clearly you felt you were in the right, but I hope in the future you'll keep the overall spirit tenor of this admittedly diverse community in mind before pulling out the big guns.

Comment

Originally posted by grunchley

If an individual were to form a neighborhood watch group in my neighborhood, I'd want to make sure he or she wasn't a felon or sex offender.
        I'm not so sure we should toss all felons in the opala heap just because they're felons, especially if they did their time and had the guts and determination to turn themselves around against all odds to become caring and productive citizens again. People can change. I've seen it. If you don't give them a chance to prove themselves, then what's the point? We all make mistakes. It's part of being human.

This felon seems to be doing pretty well for himself and his 'ohana...

From watching his TV show here on the mainland, it looks like his house is located somewhere in the wealthy Kahala area.
        Last edited by lurkah; July 18, 2005, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
          In other words, maybe can try look and listen first before letting any preconceived ideas we might have blind us to what's really there.
          word, bruthah.

Comment

Hah?

read it a few times. it will soon become clear.

Comment

From watching his TV show here on the mainland, it looks like his house is located somewhere in the wealthy Kahala area.
              Doing well for one's self financially, or living in a "nice neighborhood," does not equal "good person." Ironic that you'd cite Duane "Dog" Chapman as a positive example, considering some of the past... colorful threads we've had here focused around the man.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon

Doing well for one's self financially, or living in a "nice neighborhood," does not equal "good person."
                That's true, but I think you know that the example I was going for was he's come quite a ways from being locked up behind bars -- an accomplishment that any felon should be able to be proud of, and should not have to feel any lesser than the next man if he's got his head back on straight and his heart is truly in the right place. They say that, "Time will tell," and so far, he seems to be doing his time better than a lot of us.

Ironic that you'd cite Duane "Dog" Chapman as a positive example, considering some of the past... colorful threads we've had here focused around the man.
                Oh. So would it be safe to assume that "The Dog" got processed through the "HT Meatgrinder" as well?

Comment

[INDENT] So would it be safe to assume that "The Dog" got processed through the "HT Meatgrinder" as well?

do a search and see for yerself.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55

do a search and see for yerself.
                    Thanks, that was interesting. Too bad the thread ended the way it did: "This topic is temporarily suspended. Too many off-topic posts."

Comment

I see your point, but I still think it was overkill considering the circumstances. I don't think you were the only person here to go looking for more information on the domain registrant (in fact, I know you weren't). The difference is, you felt compelled to post it. A TRO filing, six years ago and quietly expired, in and of itself is not proof of a questionable character. And only marginally relevant.
                      We can give everyone we meet the first degree, do a full background and credit check, and even respectfully request a drug test. But we use our judgement to determine just how far we should go. Clearly you felt you were in the right, but I hope in the future you'll keep the overall spirit tenor of this admittedly diverse community in mind before pulling out the big guns.
                      Okay, I'd just like to clarify something. In Ryan's post (message #62) he quoted me and responded to that, then he quoted Grunchley (but without noting that the response was to a different person) and wrote the two paragraphs above. Those were aimed at Grunchley, not at LikaNui.
                      Carry on.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by HCW Team
                        As soon as we work everything out your questions will be answered either in this forum or on our site. Thanks again HawaiiThreads!
                        HCW Team
                        Well, that was a month ago and I just checked their website, out of curiosity. Still nothing there except a "coming soon" announcement.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                        X