Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July 4th fireworks ban sought

from khon2.com's website
    Honolulu Fire Chief Attilio Leonardi wants state lawmakers to ban the sale of all types of fireworks - including unregulated novely items - around the 4th of July holiday. He said his attendance at an organized fireworks display at Magic Island on Independence Day convinced him a ban is needed.

"It was a circus, that's what I call it," said Leonardi.

The fire chief joined thousands of families at Magic Island for the organized fireworks display, only to find many of the families brought their own fireworks to explode.

"It was total chaos," Leonardi said. "It was dangerous, people throwing fireworks all over."
    I'm in favor of the ban, because it almost smelt like New Years in my neighborhood, and the kids were just popping firecrackers infront of our house (on our driveway and the road infront our house, which is a main intersection) And when I mean kids, I mean young ones as young as 6 running in the streets with cars honking and driving.

So, who'd support a ban on july 4 fireworks?
    Yes
    90.91%
    No
    9.09%
    Last edited by admin; July 15, 2005, 08:27 PM. Reason: Post article excerpts only, please.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: July 4th fireworks ban sought

Yup. Big fireworks displays are one thing; personal fireworks are another.

Comment

Due to health and safety reasons I favor a ban! This past July 4th celebration in my neighborhood was outrageous! So much rubbish and smoke! Auwe!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Yet another fun thing completely ruined by a handful of jerks. I had a feeling this 4th of July was going to be bad, though, when I started hearing firecrackers on the last day of June.

I can hear the shrieking now: "but it's a tra-ditioooooooon!". Yeah, it's a tradition that firemen have to go out there and work outrageously long shifts and endanger their lives because some knuckle-dragger has made himself a pipe bomb. Yeah, that's a great tradition.

Comment

I say ban it. Especially because enforcement of current laws are so lax, it probably wouldn't make much of a practical difference. Except, of course, in the case of dumbasses who (1.) blow off their or someone else's hands, or (2.) cause property damage. Then the criminal and civil liabilities would probably be a tasty double whammy.

Only in Hawaii would this statement be true, but... I think it'd be easier to ban sale of private-party fireworks for the 4th of July than it would be to do the same for New Year's Day, and Chinese New Year.

Yep, us Hawaii folk, so unpatriotic!

Comment

I agree with a ban on fireworks. For the dangers of personal harm along with fire damage, also the smoke really affects asthmatics and others. If there is a ban why would it only be slated for the Fourth of July? The same problems would still exist on the other days of celebration. Kinda odd yeah?
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

July is usually a drier month than Janurary or Feburary, more chance of a brush fires, assuming one was setting them off in the middle of a brush.

Anyway on the 4th of July I did go to Ala Moana Park to watch the fireworks. I found a spot to sit about 50 feet makua from the foot bridge that spans the two ponds and people were exploding fireworks in the park and I thought, did they relax the rules some what? There were police not very far away directing traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by helen

July is usually a drier month than Janurary or Feburary, more chance of a brush fires, assuming one was setting them off in the middle of a brush.
                I just got back from da 'aina where I heard something interesting from a retired firefighter friend of mine who lives in Nanakuli on da leeward side of 'Oahu where most of those brushfires are occurring. He told me that what could be da driving force behind most of those intentionally lit fires is that an HFD firefighter might be in need of a brand new truck, boat, or you name it, and keeping da flames burning for as long as possible equates to huge amounts of overtime which equates to a brand new truck, boat, or you name it.

Comment

Working...
                X