Long lasting deoderant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long lasting deoderant?

Looks like my current spray on doesn't last that long anymore, so I'm looking for a change.

I'm looking for one that doesn't overpower people with the smell, just coverup or eliminate my odors.

I currently use the axe bodyspray (probably the worst fad product I have) but like I said, I hate that overpowering smell.

Any suggestions?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Long lasting deoderant?

ya know, i would stay away from anything with aluminum chlorhydrate.
    that stuff is poison to the body. and they allll have that junk in it and alotta other chemicals. Try go safeway or longs and get
    "tom's natural"
    dat kine has no scent, or light scent like talcum powder, or woodsy scent or a lighter mo bettah old spice scent... It is worth a try.
    but do stay away from the major chemical manufacturer ones. bad stuff...
    It forces closed the pores and that ain't good for anyone, mostly you.

Try any of the gel rub on ones from Kokua and good earth too. No can go wrong.
    garanz barbaranz.
    Last edited by kimo55; July 18, 2005, 02:51 PM.

Comment

I agree with Kimo; that closed-pore stuff can't be good for you, and I have been led by a few people to suspect that the increase in breast-cancer incidence might be related to anti-perspirants.

Adrian, just run down to Longs and pick up a deodorant stone. I've been a happy deodorant stone user for thirteen years. It's a huge chunk of what looks like rock candy. You wet the stone, rub it liberally in your pits, and let dry. It won't keep you from sweating, but it kills the bacteria that cause odor, and it leaves you with a nice "nothing" smell. Plus, it will last you for months at just seven to ten bucks. Mine usually last me over a year. You'll find it in the same aisle as all the other deodorants.

By the way, what happened to your freaky Jason Mewes avatar?
      Last edited by scrivener; July 18, 2005, 02:30 PM.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I have seen advertisements for these big transparent crystals that you rub onto your skin as a deodorant. Has anyone tried those? Do they work?

Oops, scrivener beat me to it.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
          By the way, what happened to your freaky Jason Mewes avatar?
          Someone begged me to return my old one, so I did. I guess when you look at my current avatar, people notice its me.

Comment

hey, you guys are way too fast. oh well. i agree. that stuff is amazing. it really works. damn, i wish i had known about it years ago!
            525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I went to Longs today, and they had one for $6.99.

For anyone who doesn't know how it looks like, it comes in a purpleish plastic box, and its labeled "Thai Deoderant Stone", and the one I got says it'll last 6 months. The stone I got looks like a stone, but its white.

I have yet to try it, and I'll probably post some pics of the box and stone once I can hook up my cell phone to my computer.

Comment

Okay, I just bathed, and followed the instructions on the box, and I'm sweating on the places that the stone didn't touch (which is kinda weird, because its the places that I didn't know could sweat.)

Of course, this is only the first test, but since its summer, I sweat a lot.

I'll try to work up a sweat tomorrow to see if this thing really works.

Comment

here's a picture of the one i got from down to earth. (sorry it's not a great pic; a bit rushed for time.) it reads, "nature's pure crystal deodorant push up stick, 100% natural" 4.25 oz. back: contains no aluminum; ingredients: mineral salts.

funny that the product i bought doesn't seem to be listed on their website: http://www.deodorantstones.com/

anyway, here's the pic:
                  Attached Files
                  525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Okay I had to chime in on this one because you guys are bad mouthing deodorants with Aluminum Hydrate.

The chief chemical entity of those deodorant stones is guess what? Aluminum or AL2O3.

Aluminum is a naturally occuring mineral (#13 in the Periodic Table). What makes these deodorant stones effective is how aluminum is used on (not in) the body.

When aluminum oxidizes it leaves a thin layer on the body pretty much sealing the pores like talcum powder but on a molecular level. It's the O3 in the chemical make up of Aluminum or the excess of one oxygen molecule that makes it an oxide.

On it's own at the molecular level, the aluminum molecule consists of 14 nuetrons and 13 protons/electrons. This absence of one proton/electron makes aluminum a prime molecule for attraction to other molecules missing this one outer particle. Sodium which is produced by the body when sweating is one of those molecules that compliment Aluminum and that's why aluminum is dead meat when it's used in buildings near the ocean. They naturally attract to each other and begin this chemical marriage known as oxidation.

Whether it be Arrid Extra Dry or a body stone, the essential active ingredient remains the same...aluminum hydrate. But I agree that the stone is by far the better choice as it lasts longer and does a pretty good job of taking care of body odor. But remember it's just a mask.

By the way salt contains naturally occuring aluminum. You just can't keep sodium and aluminum away from each other...atomically they are attracted to one another. Just like Romeo and Juliett.
                    Last edited by craigwatanabe; July 19, 2005, 11:35 PM.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                      You just can't keep sodium and aluminum away from each other...atomically they are attracted to one another. Just like Romeo and Juliett.
                      I'm going to have to step in here, since now you're treading on my area of expertise. I have read Romeo and Juliet at least ten times and I am convinced that the title characters' attraction to each other had very little--if anything--to do with atomic attraction! Now, R&J, being physical beings, are of course composed of atoms, but Romeo first sees Juliet from far across the room, and at first glance is attracted to her; the reaction is much too quick and from too great a distance to be an attraction of one's atoms to the other's. "O, she doth teach the torches to burn bright!" says Romeo, impressed more with Juliet's appearance than anything else!
                      Last edited by scrivener; July 20, 2005, 12:01 AM. Reason: "I play along with the charade; there doesn't seem to be a reason to change..."
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Clearly the attraction is carried by electromagnetic radiation. Love travels at the speed of light!

Comment

Or more like love is blinded by the light! Oh where for art thou Romeo cuz my eyes stay hamajang from da light. I going drink my Jamba Juice but I no can see...hmmm dis Mango-A-Gogo tastes like poison...Oh crap I picked up da wrong stuff now I going Make. Shoot lata's Romeo I going see grandma now. I...whew das some potent crap...okay I stay pau.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

craig, you never cease to amaze me. hmmmm. interesting read. so the idea that the mineral salt kills the bacteria that causes odor is bull, right? if so, i'm going to have to call down to earth on that one. i mean, they should know better.

apart from how/why it works, i'm still a big fan cuz i know it works and it'll last way longer than the other more typical products.

thanks for the info

Comment

i don't want to sound glib or condescending, but life is far too short to worry about how your personal deodorant might kill you...find something that doesn't offend your own olfactory sensibilities and move on, my friend...
                              Don't be mean,
                              try to help.

Comment

Working...
                              X