Michelle Wie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michelle Wie

I really don't get the high expectations for her, at least not in the first part of her summer. She doesn't play in tournament conditions for about six months out of the year, and then people expect her to win her first time out?

Wait till she's playing full-time, folks.

That said, if she could get her putting up to the level the rest of her game has reached...
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

WEEI-AM/FM, a sports talk station from Boston has been frequently airing ads that exclusively announce (no mention of any other lady golfers) that Michelle Wie will be playing the Women's US Open in Newport. It's an ad that chronologically tells a brief story of Michelle's golf history...at age 4 she did this, at age 7 this, at 10 she shot a 67 (or some absurdly low number for a 10 year old), and so on. Like all of the other Women's US Open ads I've seen in print, and heard over the airwaves, this ad implies one best get their tickets to the tournament now if one wants to see Michelle in action. I'd say (and I'm no rocket scientist in declaring this obvious fact) that Michelle has huge expections from the golfing fans out this way. A heavy burden of pressure for such a young girl to bear.
      Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; June 11, 2006, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
        WEEI-AM/FM, a sports talk station from Boston has been frequently airing ads that exclusively announce (no mention of any other lady golfers) that Michelle Wie will be playing the Women's US Open in Newport. It's an ad that chronologically tells a brief story of Michelle's golf history...at age 4 she did this, at age 7 this, at 10 she shot a 67 (or some absurdly low number for a 10 year old), and so on. Like all of the other Women's US Open ads I've seen in print, and heard over the airwaves, this ad implies one best get their tickets to the tournament now if one wants to see Michelle in action. I'd say (and I'm no rocket scientist in declaring this obvious fact) that Michelle has huge expections from the golfing fans out this way. A heavy burden of pressure for such a young girl to bear.
        Can we expect a "Farmboy HT 3:16" Sign in the near future?

I'd love to start seeing some WIE fan with an HT Shirt some time

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
          I'd say ... that Michelle has huge expections from the golfing fans out this way. A heavy burden of pressure for such a young girl to bear.
          Yes, and it also justifies the numerous sponsors' exemptions Michelle received when she was still an amateur. The corporate sponsors cough up the money, so exempting certain players from qualifying when those players will bring in the fans totally makes sense. It's good for the sponsors and good for the towns that host the tournaments, and ultimately it's good for the pros. The only thing it's really not good for is the integrity of the game, but pro golf was never going to make it without the financial backing of corporate sponsors, so it sold its soul long, long ago anyway.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
            She'll probably the only rich kid at Punahou who earned her millions on her own. The rest of the rich kids there probably were born with silver spoons in their mouths and are related to wealthy people.
            You could say that about rich kids at any school in the world. So why bring it up? Are you trying to imply that only rich kids attend or have graduated from Punahou?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
              You could say that about rich kids at any school in the world. So why bring it up? Are you trying to imply that only rich kids attend or have graduated from Punahou?
              Considering Punahous tuition is one of the Higher ones in the State...

I would say that ones family does have to have some money to attend.

Although, I know of peoples family that have gone broke by trying to have there children attend there.

It cost's more per year to attend Punahou... then it does to Attend UH Manoa!

The following rates will be in effect for the 2005-2006 school year:

Punahou:

Grades K-12
              Tuition: $13,775

UH Manoa Per Semester: (Resident less Yet)
              $2,160 Per Semester Resident X 2 semesters per year: $4,320.

Even Non Residents pay less at UH then a Punahou Student:
              $6,096 per semester X 2 Semester per year: $12,192 Per Year.

Now let's multiply those numbers by the amount of years you attend each institution:

13 years at Punahou = $179,075
              4 years at UH Manoa = $17,280

4 years at Harvard @ $30,275 Per Year = $121,100

I think the numbers talk for themselves

Sheesh...and my mom went Punahou... to think she never let me go there!
              I was a happy camper that she sent me to UH Manoa...

And many of the Punahou students that I have talked to.... Complain about attending UH... the nerve!

Comment

It's going to be a real show tomorrow as the women play 36 holes. Michelle is in the first group along with Annika Sorenstam and Pat Hurst who are tied for the lead. Jason Sobel of ESPN has a good article about why tomorrow will be unique. Sobel article. He does take a not-so-subtle dig at Michelle in this quote
                "That group includes amateur Jane Park, two-time Open champion Juli Inkster and Wie, who has seemingly become everybody's favorite hot-button issue for her relentless pursuit to compete with the world's best men and palpable failure to defeat the world's best women."
                On the other hand, what he writes about her is true - maybe tomorrow she can prove him wrong. Go Michelle!

Comment

Apparently ESPN2 will carry the first round, starting at 5am HST. Fortunately, that's about the time I wake up every day, so Michelle and I will be having coffee together. Sort of.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I'm thinking about sneaking down to Newport today and seeing about getting in to the NCC, seeing that it's only 15 miles from where I live. Then I can be one of many in throng following Michelle around hole to hole! I did watch Michelle on NBC yesterday..it's neat seeing this local girl from HI right here in RI! I just wish the weather would have cooperated better than it had for the golfers...yesterday wasn't too bad; today should be even better but I hear the winds are going to be rough..they are already blowing pretty good for this time in the AM.

Comment

Lucky you Surfingfarmboy! I wanted to attend this but am unable to as we just closed on our home and moved into another home. Still trying to get situated! If you can, please get some photos.....*wishing I could attend!*
                      Lovena

Comment

lol, I'm in providence rhode island

Comment

Our girl finished in a tie for third place -- hooray!

(Oh, and she'll bring home a check for $156,000.)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

She is still setting records!!!!

I mean come on now... this girl is freaking unbelievable!

I watched the final 4 holes and she did have a chance.... Annika had a solid last round and closed it out...

Mark these words... Michelle Wie will win a Major before she turns 18! Something no one else has ever done.

Comment

I watched most of this, and was impressed by Wie's apparent unflappability. There was one hole near the end, where she "saved" bogey. Missed the fairway. Hit into the really tall grass. Tapped it out of the grass. Then into the sandbox. Then the green. Seemed like everything that could have gone wrong did, but when she finally got it on the green, she did what she had to.

It was cool. Michelle's a pro. She finished behind a hall-of-famer and former LPGA rookie of the year, and ahead of almost everyone else. Nice work.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                                [...]It was cool. Michelle's a pro. She finished behind a hall-of-famer and former LPGA rookie of the year, and ahead of almost everyone else. Nice work.
                                Michelle's amazing! She finished in the top 5 in every LPGA tournament she's played in this year...according to KGMB!

Even without an ounce of athletic talent she would've made a fortune as a model.

Comment

Working...
                                X