Michelle Wie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michelle Wie

Michelle I think has always possessed the talent to be a champion, however, she was given a roundabout way to get to where she is today.

Had her family followed Tiger Woods' advice, that she should stay in the amateur field and dominate that field before going pro, I think she would have developed her "mental" game faster and in a much better way.

She has proven that she is a champion, despite those setbacks and bad advice/coaching, because the cream always rises to the top.

Comment

Michelle Wie should have flopped like a soccer player and fall in the water on one stroke. She wouldn't have been penalized 2 strokes that cost her 90K at a golf tournament today.

Comment

Neither of the news stories I saw in today's papers explained the rule. For those of us who are not familier with this one - just what is "grounding a club?"

Comment

Well, most of the day gone by with no clear explaiantion. From a couple of other accounts, it sounds like "grounded her club" means that she let her club touch the ground (why don't they just say that?). Evidently there is a rule against doing that in the place where she did it. But why is that? What's the harm? Why so evil? Does it affect the game somehow, or give a player an advantage if she/he grounds their club?

Any golfers out there who can explain?

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
            Well, most of the day gone by with no clear explaiantion. From a couple of other accounts, it sounds like "grounded her club" means that she let her club touch the ground (why don't they just say that?). Evidently there is a rule against doing that in the place where she did it. But why is that? What's the harm? Why so evil? Does it affect the game somehow, or give a player an advantage if she/he grounds their club?
            Any golfers out there who can explain?
            Here, no worries, let me get that for you. I'm no longer a golfer, but I can understand why the golfing public has tired of the drama and moved on from this thread.

The general idea of the "no grounding" rule is that grounding a club would allow a golfer to improve the area around the ball to make it easier to hit. The rule doesn't specify whether it applies before, during, or after hitting the ball-- it says "don't do that". The issue in this case is that she put her club down after hitting the ball because she thought she was losing her balance and was afraid she would fall over.

Perhaps the other golfers would understand/sympathize, but pros are supposed to appreciate these hair-splitting aspects of the rules-- and her mistake helped enrich a few others who managed to complete their rounds without falling over. Presumably the course officials wanted to avoid a media circus from any appearance of giving her special treatment. Of course this entire incident might have been missed by the media, and Wie's commentary probably poured more fuel on the flames of the sports editorials. But the rules guys did their job the way it's supposed to be done.

Closing one's eyes during a swing must be some sort of advanced professional golfing technique that I never figured out. Maybe it keeps out the water or the mud, or maybe goggles aren't allowed in a golf bag. Losing balance during a golf swing is embarrassing enough. If she'd said that she was worried about falling and injuring her wrist again or spraining her ankle then I think there'd be more sympathy. But setting aside the testosterone bias for a second, let alone the age/maturity issues, I'd think that wearing a white skirt on a golf course (let alone by a water hazard) must be some sort of fashion faux pas. Especially before Memorial Day.

I'm having a hard time remembering the last golfer (let alone the last male or female golfer) who took a penalty to avoid a wardrobe malfunction... what would [insert name of your favorite golfer here] have done?

http://www.starbulletin.com/sports/2...nce_again.html
            Despite being in the water, Wie parred the 11th. She was notified of the penalty by LPGA Tour rules official Doug Brecht a few holes later.
            "It just doesn't seem right," Wie told Brecht on the course.
            After her round, Wie went to a TV truck to review video with officials.
            "They interpreted it differently than what I felt," Wie told reporters later, down the hill and around the corner of a grandstand from where Seo was getting her trophy on the 18th green. "I knew I did ground the club. At the same time I knew that I felt off-balance. I closed my eyes and hit the shot and grounded my club so I wouldn't fall into the water while wearing a white skirt.
            "I accept it," she added. "I accept the fact that it was a penalty stroke if you ground a club. But the fact is I felt like I was off balance. That's why I grounded the club. That's a rule so there's nothing I can do about it."
            Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
            Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
            We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
            Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Mahalo, Nords . . . (I agree the white skirt defense is pretty lame)

Comment

Another side of Wie - odd art(ist):

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/31/sp...olf/31wie.html

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                  The general idea of the "no grounding" rule is that grounding a club would allow a golfer to improve the area around the ball to make it easier to hit. The rule doesn't specify whether it applies before, during, or after hitting the ball-- it says "don't do that". The issue in this case is that she put her club down after hitting the ball because she thought she was losing her balance and was afraid she would fall over.
                  Another aspect of the rule against grounding your club is that by doing so you may be seen as "testing" the ground upon which your ball lies. For the non-golfers, a ball will react differently when struck from a different "lie". For example, a ball in the fairway (the closely mown portion of the hole) will be sitting up nice and high and the golf club will impart more spin on it and the golfer will be able to know how far the ball will travel when hit with a certain club. However, a ball in the rough (the deeper grass surrounding the fairway) will be sitting lower, and the spin imparted on the ball by the club will be lessened, thus making it more difficult for a golfer to judge exactly how hard to hit it, and with which club. Balls sitting in a sand trap or in a water hazard, as Michelle's ball was, will result in even less predictability. Grounding a club in a hazard may allow one to get a better feel for the ball's lie. Sounds reasonable, doesn't it? But there's another term we use called "Rub of the Green", which basically means, "S*** happens, deal with it." Take your medicine and move on.

(I just re-read this paragraph and realized how much of a golf geek I am.)

Bottom line, it's just another of those arcane rules that non-golfers (and many golfers as well) will find silly, but they're all as much a part of our game as three strikes are to baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post

Perhaps the other golfers would understand/sympathize, but pros are supposed to appreciate these hair-splitting aspects of the rules-- and her mistake helped enrich a few others who managed to complete their rounds without falling over. Presumably the course officials wanted to avoid a media circus from any appearance of giving her special treatment. Of course this entire incident might have been missed by the media, and Wie's commentary probably poured more fuel on the flames of the sports editorials. But the rules guys did their job the way it's supposed to be done.
                    In close to 5 years of being a pro, this is the first time Michelle had been given such a penalty. It's safe to say that she is familiar with this rule.

The "no grounding" rule to which you refer to rule 13-4b. Now, there is no question that Michelle grounded her club after making her initial shot from the hazard,.... while the ball was still in the hazard. But there are exceptions to this rule. Exception 1 to rule 13-4 says:

Provided nothing is done that constitutes testing the condition of the hazard or improves the lie of the ball, there is no penalty if the player (a) touches the ground or loose impediments in any hazard or water in a water hazard as a result of or to prevent falling, in removing an obstruction, in measuring or in marking the position of, retrieving, lifting, placing or replacing a ball under any Rule or
                    (b) places his clubs in a hazard.
                    So Michelle based her appeal on the claim that she touched her club to prevent herself from falling. As it turned out, the official rejected this appeal. Essentially, it was a judgement call. But agree with her or not, Michelle had a valid case for her appeal.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story/...US-Open-070810

What happened? She's getting worse.

Comment

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/de...rn=golf-262517

He had the same kind of penalty of grounding that Michelle Wie did once. And he's a professional male golfer.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                          http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story/...US-Open-070810

What happened? She's getting worse.
                          Worse than what? While there's no doubt she's had a somewhat disappointing year, especially with her uneven play in the majors, she's had a couple of top 5 finishes. As of today she's ranked 12th in the Rolex World Golf Rankings and 19th on the money list. Not exactly like she's fallen off the face of the earth.

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/de...rn=golf-262517

He had the same kind of penalty of grounding that Michelle Wie did once. And he's a professional male golfer.
                          While you're right in that Dustin Johnson's penalty was for grounding his club, as MW was penalized for earlier this season, the penalties are in fact hardly the same. In his case, it was controversial due to the fact that he was leading the tournament on the final hole, and the penalty for grounding his club in a bunker (a sand trap, for you non-golfers) cost him a place in the playoff. (Not to mention that this tournament was the PGA Championship - the final major of the year.) He was penalized because he didn't realize that the area his ball was in was actually considered to be a bunker. (It's highly unusual for one to be placed so far outside the ropes that spectators can walk, sit, or stand in, as this one was.) He finished his hole, but when shown that his ball was actually in a bunker he immediately realized his mistake and that the penalty was valid.

In Wie's case, her ball was in a water hazard, and she grounded her club after she made her swing. Her claim was that she wasn't actually grounding her club, but using it to keep her balance after swinging. In her case, the penalty did not cost her the tournament, which was won in runaway fashion by another player. It wasn't controversial as much as newsworthy due to the fact that she'd had a couple other rules infractions in the past, none of which would be notable at all if they had been incurred by a player with a lower media profile.

So again I'm flying my golf geek flag high and proud, but I have disagree that these penalties are the same in any respect. Further, I'm not following the point you're trying to make about the fact that "he's a professional male golfer." Are you implying that as such he should know the rules better then she, or any woman would?

Comment

Originally posted by NoCal Boy View Post
                            Further, I'm not following the point you're trying to make about the fact that "he's a professional male golfer." Are you implying that as such he should know the rules better then she, or any woman would?
                            I'm going to sound sexist. But, the men's professional golf tour is real golf. Same as I wouldn't call the WNBA as real basketball. Even though I like Diana Taurasi's game. I'm not worried about disagreement replies because deep down more people agree with me.

Comment

I'm not worried about disagreement replies because deep down more people agree with me.
                              Having sparred taekwondo with women in my age/weight class, you're invited to go a few rounds with them sometime...
                              Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                              Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                              We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                              Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

I'm going to sound sexist.
                                Agreed.

But, the men's professional golf tour is real golf.
                                -snip-
                                I'm not worried about disagreement replies because deep down more people agree with me.
                                Couldn't disagree more. And I won't further inflame your borderline troll remarks so let me just say "Whatever........"

Comment

Working...
                                X