Michelle Wie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michelle Wie

I wouldn't be surprised if she wins her first tournament before the end of the year. The experience of playing in full-on professional competition is improving her game and mental skills. She demonstrated that yesterday by not falling apart when shots didn't go well and stayed steady through 36 holes. Her putting was solid and that is the secret to winning. And, congratulations to Annika for eventually winning the title!

Comment

Looks like michelle is feeling a little bit Wiesy

"Wie in 'stable condition' at hospital"

Hope she's feeling better soon.

http://starbulletin.com/breaking/breaking.php?id=4667

"SILVIS, Ill. >> Michelle Wie was in stable condition according to a doctor and at an area hospital after withdrawing from the John Deere Classic today."

Comment

I know people will say I'm raining on the parade but I think the topic of child superstars is important.

Along the way, I've always become more worried about Michelle Wie but I never joined this thread because if I said anything less that supportive, I would be attacked as just negative, jealous, etc.

Now that she's had a bad day, people will say the same.

But I always worry about any "prodigy" kid when it seems like the parents are overly involved in their childrens success. Tiger Woods father was involved but somehow seemed to always be a father first. Tiger went to Stanford before turning pro.

Michelle seems like she's turning more and more into the thing I feared most; the stressed out, pressured, capitalistic product to be bought and sold on the open market.

Since when does a girl who grew up in Hawaii suffer from Heat Stroke? It might be partially true but I think shes just exhausted period.

The world is littered with child prodigy's who grow up and turn into average joes, or less, because they lossed interest and energy at 16. I feel sorry for her on what she's missing as a high school student just being a regular kid. No millions will ever replace what she's missed of her childhood.

Ask Michael Jackson.

Comment

As I said at the start of this thread, before she even turned pro, I doubted that she was ready, and suspected she wasn't sure either. She's no fool, and certainly knows the drawbacks to making her move so young. It was a calculated risk, to cash in now when she's perhaps more hype then reality but face a career that might fall short, or wait and hack it out over the next {x} years and hope folks would still be waiting for her with checkbooks in hand at the other end.

I'm beginning to doubt, had she held out and taken her lumps and went pro "eventually," that she'd have half the opportunities she's getting today. That she'd have all this exposure, a platform to inspire younger, female golfers, or a purse big enough to allow her to write huge checks to charity. If the long-term outcome is an unknown, anyway, why not ride the wave while it's there?

She's got a good head on her shoulders and lots of support. Whatever happens, I doubt she'll end up playing checkers with monkeys at Neverland.

She ate too much and drank too little and got a bit woosy. Doesn't sound at all unexpected for an excited teenager. Glad she's out of the hospital and hope she's back doing what she loves soon.

Comment

PZ you should write a book sometime

He hit it on the head... Plus while the temperatures maybe close the same... the humidity was different.

One of my friends that has left Hawaii complains about how cold Washington is in the Winter.... and How DRY and HOT it was there in Summer.

During his first year he spent most of the Winter sick and with a runny nose... When summer came around... He stayed inside the A/C all the time cause he couldn't handle the heat.

Temperature as well as Humidity along with the Food and no water all contributed to her getting sick... (and for that matter... I'm sure she's a bit homesick since she will be spending the entire summer on the mainland)

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
              That she'd have all this exposure, a platform to inspire younger, female golfers, or a purse big enough to allow her to write huge checks to charity. If the long-term outcome is an unknown, anyway, why not ride the wave while it's there?

Most of what you list to justify robbing her of her childhood is for you and me and the public etc etc. Kind of selfish, no? Its all about us. What Michelle can accomplish for women, for Asians, for Koreans. What about her? We often times look at the famous and admire them and wish we could be them. But many will tell you that fame has a steep price - especially when it was earned as a child.

Most teenagers don't give a rip about millions of dollars really. Sure they like money but that's not the typical drive. Most kid prodigy's are really most worried about pleasing their parents. And that is where things can go wrong.

At some point, rich and famous and talented kids tend to get tired of tring to please their parents.

If she can handle the pressure, great, I admire that. But it's starting to look like she can't and I think that's actually a normal healthy childs reaction.

Comment

But it's starting to look like she can't and I think that's actually a normal healthy childs reaction.
                Are talking about getting sick?

Have you ever been sick? Gee sorry... I guess they don't give her sick leave like the rest of us
                Last edited by damontucker; July 14, 2006, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea
                  I know people will say I'm raining on the parade but I think the topic of child superstars is important.[...]
                  I have to agree with you! The care, custody and control of child stars fall directly on the parents regardless of all the consultants, agents and managers they bring into the mix. I've seen too many disasters.

I'll never forget the empty look in a 7 year old little girl's eyes on the set of a toy commercial a few decades ago. The parents were always travelling and the pint size actress showed up on the set with the housekeeper. When the camera was rolling she was 'on'. She was so incredibly good for her age it was scary. Smart, too. When the camera wasn't rolling she would go off to a corner and play by herself. I joined her and played too and talked about my little girl and school and anything I could think of to learn more about this reclusive little actress. She was so sweet and so alone. And her parents, while pushing her career, were off doing their own thing. It just blew me away. Her childhood was a film set and a housekeeper.

I worked with her a couple of more times, followed her name and career...and both became huge. She became and still is a star. But, she made a decision that just blew me away and gave me hope. She went off to college and she graduated with honors. She didn't go the way of so many child stars but the potential was sure there. Was college her decision? Her parents? I'd love to know what kept this child on track because it's just so rare.

Michelle has lost her childhood but I get the feeling that that's a tight family unit. She appears to be a well grounded young woman. I sincerely hope Michelle gets to experience college and get some partying out of her system! I guess with sports one has to strike while the iron is hot.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                    She appears to be a well grounded young woman. I sincerely hope Michelle gets to experience college and get some partying out of her system!

Amen to that tutusue. I hope the parents can put off a few more millions if thats what Michelle wants to do.

PS My guess is Brooke Shields??

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea
                      [...]PS My guess is Brooke Shields??
                      That's the logical guess but not the correct one! I've discussed this particular child star scenario many times over the years, esp. to parents of small children who want to know how to get their child into show biz. I've never disclosed the name of the 'star'.

Comment

I think Michelle's not being given enough credit here. She's an exceptional athlete, and like most athletes she wants to compete at the highest level.

Have you noticed that when she's back here for school she completely disappears from public view? She's being a school kid for months out of the year, and seems quite happy to do that. She's not dropping out to go play golf full time, like so many of the tennis stars her age have done.

(Side note: Sports Illustrated has a retrospective story about Andre Agassi in the current issue; he grew up with a tennis dad of sorts, and he dropped out of school in or after 8th grade.)

I'd say she's quite comfortable with herself and what she's doing. She gets more attention than most because of what she's doing, but she seems to carry it off quite well.
                        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I actually happened to be watching the cable television broadcast of the John Deere Open when the announcement that Michelle had withdrawn from the tournament. Later, on the news (about an hour later) I saw film footage of her being transported to an area hospital, via ambulance, in Moline. From the view afforded on TV, she really looked sapped, especially with the IV drip hanging off of her.

I'm certain the heat and humidity in the Quad Cities area of Illinois must have been awful, like it usually is there in mid-July. I went to college at Southern Illinois University, and I know a thing or two about the heat and humidity in the Prairie State. It's stiffling. The southern end of Illinois, which is actually closer to Mississippi than Chicago and has a climate more resemblent to the southern US than the Midwest, has some of the most oppressive heat and humidity found in the US, in the summer. It doesn't get as outright hot as say Yuma, AZ does, but when the tempearatures reach the mid-90s with that 60% humidity, the heat indices often breach into the hundreds. It does get nasty. While where Michelle was about 250 miles north of where I was at in school at SIU, the Quad Cities can get very oppressive as well.

I wish her the best in her recovery...she should be okay. I suffered heat exhaustion during the '04 Boston Marathon and had to get an IV after the race...it was cramp city for me. After the IV did it's job, and I got some water and salts back into my system, I was fine. Michelle may have felt pretty bad yesterday, but I bet she comes around today.
                          Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; July 15, 2006, 12:45 AM.

Comment

For those that think the pressure is on Michelle Wie...

How about this 10 year old Basketball phenom Justin Jenifer.

During the past year, he had fielded requests from at least seven AAU coaches who wanted Justin on their travel-intensive teams, including one in Atlanta that offered to fly Justin in for weekend tournaments.
                            http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...rospect18.html

I mean this boy is only 10 and he's convinced he's going to the NBA!

Justin's confidence skyrocketed. He appeared briefly in a commercial with NBA standout Carmelo Anthony, and that three-second spot made him a celebrity at Arlington Baptist School in Baltimore, where he recently finished fourth grade. Once reserved, he now boasted to friends that he would play in the NBA — or, if that fell through, at least become an NBA coach.

Comment

Posted on: Thursday, July 27, 2006 6:41 AM
                              Breaking News Honolulu StarBulletin
                              "Wie grabs a share of the lead at the Evian Masters
                              The 16-year-old is tied with Lorena Ochoa and Karrie Webb after two rounds"
                              Associated Press

You go Girl!!!!!

Think Positive. Relax. Think Positive.

Auntie Lynn
                              Last edited by 1stwahine; July 27, 2006, 06:49 AM.
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Hooray for Michelle! (Thanks for the 'heads up', Auntie.)
                                The "breaking news" stories are in the Star-Bulletin at this link and in the Advertiser at this link.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X