Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 224

Thread: Michelle Wie

  1. #151
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Please don't call it "Frisco"
    Posts
    187

    Default Re: Michelle Wie

    Quote Originally Posted by Nords View Post
    Gosh, I guess using the wrong name does totally invalidate the point I was trying to make-- never mind.

    It makes just as much sense as correlating a golfer's tournament performance with how far away they're allowed to get from their card before they sign it. But hey, if that rule is important to the sanctity of the sport then she'll learn to remember it. Or, inferring from some of the other comments, someone will remember to remind her to follow it...
    The fact that you used the wrong name had nothing to do with invalidating your point. I only mentioned it to illustrate that your views seemed to be those of a non-golfer's. I hope you took no offense from it, as none was intended.

    Your point, if I infer correctly, is that "your average tournament director" would treat Tiger Woods or John Daly differently had they been in the exact same situation as Michelle was. My point is that he/she would not have.

    My post was an effort to explain the ruling from a golf perspective. To many of you the Rules of Golf may make no sense; I can assure you that most golfers would agree with you on at least some of them. But again, these rules are in established in black and white with no gray areas in between; therefore, it's hard to have a subjective ruling. You'll never hear a golfer complain that he/she lost a tournament because of bad officiating.

  2. #152

    Angry Re: Michelle Wie

    Forgive me all...but is it a known possibility....googled it and it was news in month of March....that MW was dating??? cking out someone?? I know of some wahines locally that DO get "thrown off" abit cuz they have been on the dating scene....when you get hung up with someone, all you think of is THEM and ALL your concentration blanks out.... IF SO, she better wake up NOW and her "bf" better wise up and stop buggin her...cuz this possible distraction just cost her a potential victory and honors for another local athlete!!!

  3. #153

    Default She's gotta have a life besides golf!

    She needs some distraction to help mellow out from the stress that must be on a kid in these situations, and growing up in general. It's been all golf and parents. Time to enjoy life without the same old crap. So what if her golf slips a little, she'll get it back.

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Returned to Molokai
    Posts
    3,419

    Default Re: Michelle Wie

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    Yeah! I was thinking this was a repeat offense too, and that her caddy will pay. But she has to accept the blame as well this time, and just focus on getting on with it.
    AFAIK, she didn't blame her caddy this time.

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Returned to Molokai
    Posts
    3,419

    Default Re: Michelle Wie

    Quote Originally Posted by hifotog View Post
    Forgive me all...but is it a known possibility....googled it and it was news in month of March....that MW was dating??? cking out someone?? I know of some wahines locally that DO get "thrown off" abit cuz they have been on the dating scene....when you get hung up with someone, all you think of is THEM and ALL your concentration blanks out.... IF SO, she better wake up NOW and her "bf" better wise up and stop buggin her...cuz this possible distraction just cost her a potential victory and honors for another local athlete!!!


    What does her social life have got to do with golf? Is this a double standard? Tiger Wood is allowed to date and eventually get married, but heaven forbids Michelle Wie to have a social life?

    Do you know ... with hard corroborating evidence ... about her BF that I don't?

  6. #156
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    386

    Default Re: Michelle Wie

    I know I going get good licking . . . BUT this is an MW thread.

    Here goes: maybe there should be a posting on this DQ in the "Stoopidess Person of da Day" thread. *ducks thrown stone*
    Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

  7. #157

    Default Re: Michelle Wie

    Professional male golfers have done the same, but me thinks this girl has some negative energy around her. Prolly from all the jealous female pros throwing daggers because of all the attention and exemptions she's been gettin.

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Please don't call it "Frisco"
    Posts
    187

    Default Re: Michelle Wie

    She was reportedly dating Robin Lopez, who along with his twin brother played basketball for Stanford. Apparently she denied it a few months ago, but who really knows? In any event, I have a hard time believing that any romantic interest would be the reason for her mistake last weekend.

    One of the more tragic consequences about Michelle's DQ is that she'll once again be criticized and resented by many for making headlines for not succeeding. It's kind of a vicious cycle: She gets bad press for the fact that she hasn't won any event in four years, however that press itself is somewhat self-perpetuating. It's a shame this will add more fuel to the fire, just when she was playing her best golf in two years.

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Returned to Molokai
    Posts
    3,419

    Default Re: Michelle Wie

    Quote Originally Posted by NoCal Boy View Post
    She was reportedly dating Robin Lopez, who along with his twin brother played basketball for Stanford. Apparently she denied it a few months ago, but who really knows? In any event, I have a hard time believing that any romantic interest would be the reason for her mistake last weekend.

    One of the more tragic consequences about Michelle's DQ is that she'll once again be criticized and resented by many for making headlines for not succeeding. It's kind of a vicious cycle: She gets bad press for the fact that she hasn't won any event in four years, however that press itself is somewhat self-perpetuating. It's a shame this will add more fuel to the fire, just when she was playing her best golf in two years.
    Sports are always about criticisms. That's why I don't participate.

  10. #160

    Default Re: Michelle Wie

    I wonder if BJ Wie is thinking about tatooing the message, "Remember to sign your scorecard!" on the back of Michelle's left hand. That way, she'll have a surefire reminder at the end of every round when she takes off her golfing glove.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Returned to Molokai
    Posts
    3,419

    Default Re: Michelle Wie

    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    I wonder if BJ Wie is thinking about tatooing the message, "Remember to sign your scorecard!" on the back of Michelle's left hand. That way, she'll have a surefire reminder at the end of every round when she takes off her golfing glove.
    I can see Wie's fans holding up such a big reminder sign.

  12. #162

    Default Re: Michelle Wie

    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    I wonder if BJ Wie is thinking about tatooing the message, "Remember to sign your scorecard!" on the back of Michelle's left hand. That way, she'll have a surefire reminder at the end of every round when she takes off her golfing glove.
    On her big earrings, One side says, "Sign" and the other says, "Scorecard."

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    21

    Default Golf Peers Sound Off On Wie's Decision

    What do you guys think? Should she just stay and play with the ladies or continue to play against the men? And this is not the first time Sorenstam has talked smack about Wie...what's up with that?!

    From the Associated Press:
    LPGA veterans question why Wie is skipping major for PGA Tour event

    Michelle Wie skipped a major to play on the PGA Tour this week. Annika Sorenstam, Helen Alfredsson and Paula Creamer wonder why.

    After all, Wie has yet to win on the women’s tour and has never made the cut on the PGA Tour.

    Wie, who is managed by her parents, was listed in qualifying for the Women’s British Open at Sunningdale. But she pulled out and instead has a sponsor’s exemption for the Legends Reno-Tahoe Open at Reno, Nev. It is her eighth PGA Tour event.

    Sorenstam is playing in her final major before she leaves golf at the end of the season. She is chasing her 11th major and 73rd title. She made a brief foray on the PGA Tour but questioned Wie’s decision to duck a women’s major.

    “Well, we all have different agendas in life,” Sorenstam said. “I had a wonderful experience and, when I look back on my career, I will always think about that. I think it was really a turning point in my career and as a person.

    “I really don’t know why Michelle continues to do this. We have a major this week and, if you can’t qualify for a major, I don’t see any reason why you should play with the men.”
    Last edited by admin; July 30th, 2008 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Do not copy and paste full articles. Excerpt and provide link.

  14. #164

    Default Re: Golf Peers Sound Off On Wie's Decision

    Who wants to be in a club that will disqualify you during a tournament for a manini penalty?

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Returned to Molokai
    Posts
    3,419

    Default Re: Golf Peers Sound Off On Wie's Decision

    Quote Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    Who wants to be in a club that will disqualify you during a tournament for a manini penalty?
    I dunno. Were similar incident happened to other mainland golfers that should have been enforced (i.e., disqualification) but rarely do?

    If so, then you could argue that the golfing commmunity single out Wie.

    But I'm of the mindset that having parents being her managers is like putting a gun to one's head.

  16. #166
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mililani
    Posts
    39

    Default Re: Golf Peers Sound Off On Wie's Decision

    While it is true that it's a manini rule, she had to know going in that the rule existed and has no one to blame but herself for the DQ.
    Golf has tons of stupid rules that still exist today for no other reason than what the golfing community calls "Tradition".

  17. #167
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mililani
    Posts
    39

    Default Re: Michelle Wie

    She choked again!!

  18. #168
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    kailua, o'ahu
    Posts
    1,005

    Default Re: Michelle Wie

    at least another hawaii star, parker, was the leader this afternoon and shot/tied the course record.
    "chaos reigns within.
    reflect, repent and reboot.
    order shall return."

    microsoft error message with haiku poetry

  19. #169
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    345

    Default Re: Michelle Wie

    Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    That's the thing with sports, isn't it? Either she wins or we ignore her, local girl or not. Either you're something or you're nothing. Sums up the Aloha spirit.
    She should get the same "Aloha spirit" the other Hawaii athletes get. Which is just a short mention on the news. Its slowly getting to that point but it took a few years.

  20. #170

    Default Re: Michelle Wie

    Quote Originally Posted by i-hungry View Post
    She should get the same "Aloha spirit" the other Hawaii athletes get. Which is just a short mention on the news. Its slowly getting to that point but it took a few years.
    The overhype that gave her headline stories with bigger pictures than the actual tourney leaders,... yep, that seems to be a thing of the past. Maybe you are right. In the future, her accomplishments will receive short blurbs in the local press, unless she does something extraordinary to merit coverage.

    But I don't think she will ever completely fade into the company of other local golfers, like Tad Fujikawa, Parker McLachlin, Dean Wilson, and Stephanie Kono. Expectations were high for Michelle, and the millions of endorsement dollars she received are a constant reminder. Unless she dramatically turns things around, the word "disappointment" will begin to follow her.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

  21. #171
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Kalihi Valley
    Posts
    267

    Default Re: Michelle Wie

    I know this is tangential, but I was researching Hawaii's first top female golfer, Codie Austin Cooke, today for my third book and thought you might be interested in her. She was also a Punahou phenom.

    The top female golfer of the 1930s, Codie Austin Cooke, began playing golf at the age of five…barefooted. With the help of the Oahu Country Club pro, Alex Bell, Codie blossomed into the top female golfer in the islands by the age of 14.

    She captured the Territorial Women’s Tournament in 1934 by 12 strokes, even though she was just a freshman at Punahou. She won the tournament the following three years as well.

    Today, the pioneer of women’s golf in Hawaii, Codie Austin Cooke, is still a member of the Oahu Country Club. The 87 year old walks five miles early each weekday morning from her home near Iolani School to downtown where she catches a bus to the Oahu Country Club. She’ll walk another five miles going home.

  22. #172

    Default Re: Michelle Wie

    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    The overhype that gave her headline stories with bigger pictures than the actual tourney leaders,... yep, that seems to be a thing of the past. Maybe you are right. In the future, her accomplishments will receive short blurbs in the local press, unless she does something extraordinary to merit coverage.

    But I don't think she will ever completely fade into the company of other local golfers, like Tad Fujikawa, Parker McLachlin, Dean Wilson, and Stephanie Kono. Expectations were high for Michelle, and the millions of endorsement dollars she received are a constant reminder. Unless she dramatically turns things around, the word "disappointment" will begin to follow her.
    OTOH, maybe I'm wrong. Check out this editorial from the Star-Bulletin.

    http://starbulletin.com/2008/08/03/e...itorial02.html

    And this, printed on the morning of a day where another Hawaii golfer (Parker McLachlin) was leading the same tournament by 6 strokes. (Parker did eventually hang on to win.)

    Whether one agrees with SB's editorial position or not, I hope that the SB sees fit to give Parker an editorial salute for what is a bonafide achievement. Winning a professional tournament.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

  23. #173
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wah-key'-key
    Posts
    10,390

    Default Re: Michelle Wie

    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    [...]
    And this, printed on the morning of a day where another Hawaii golfer (Parker McLachlin) was leading the same tournament by 6 strokes. (Parker did eventually hang on to win.)[...]
    I'm kinda thinking it's time for Parker to have his own thread on HT!

    WAY TO GO, PARKER!
    (And, congrats to Beth and Chris, too!)

  24. #174

    Default Re: Michelle Wie

    The difference of who gets the publicity is seeing potential with the possibilty of all time greatness. With Michelle Wie, there's a chance that she could be the greatest or on the Mt. Rushmore in her sport. With Parker McLachlin, he will be steady and good. But, there's that Tiger Woods guy who's the Chosen One.

  25. #175
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    BFE, Arizona
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: Michelle Wie

    According to a report on CBS Sportsline, Michelle Wie is headed to Q-School.


    http://www.sportsline.com/golf/story/10967735

    How the mighty have fallen.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •