Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Never piss off a bus driver

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Default Re: Never piss off a bus driver

[QUOTE=SouthKona

I assume you mean by "heavy equipment drivers" the operators of the equipment (as opposed to meaning the drivers of the flatbed trucks that haul the heavy equipment on the roadway from job site to job site). In any case, I agree that heavy equipment drivers (AKA "operators") are typically courteous drivers. Perhaps because they have extreme respect for the damage that machinery can inflict upon a human body, a "small mistake" while operating a piece of equipment can easily mean death to the operator or a coworker. Such awareness would overlap to an awareness of the results of a car vs the human body.
    That said, you do not need a driver's license to be a heavy equipment operator. You need to be qualified to run the quipment, and union jobs require a medical clearance, but not a driver's license. (Of course, the drivers of flatbed trucks need a CDL).
    Go Operators!! [/QUOTE]

I stand corrected I meant vehicles that have GVW ratings of 10,000 or greater requiring CDL.

I've worked with both Heavy Equipment Operators and CDL drivers where I used to work (all of them card carrying union members) and from talking to the fleet vehicle supervisor (also a union man), these drivers could care less about the delicate nature of their rigs.

The drivers I know tell me it is the paranoia of getting caught doing something stupid while driving these big vehicles. If you get any moving or equipment violation while driving these kinds of vehicles, you can get your CDL suspended or taken away permanently.

One thing you don't do to a big rig is to cut one off then slow down quickly. Big vehicles cannot slow down as fast. They will try their best not to rear end you, however it's safer to ram the rear of the car rather than slam on their air brakes (Jacobs if trailing) and have their 10-ton load shift forward right into the crew cabin or their trailer jack-knife into oncoming lanes of traffic.

But people do that and a normal driver would get pissed off enough to do something very offensive. But a CDL driver will keep back because any kind of aggression reported back to his company or the police could jeapordize his job or his license.

Another story from my bus ride:

As we were going down Farrington in Waipahu on the gentle slopping hill between a former radio station and the Paiwa intersection, someone braked early when it was still green, and since the driver was going a bit fast, he managed to honk his horn and swerve to avoid hitting the civic that was almost in a state of parkingness.

No one got hurt, but the driver was clearly pissed and that was the first time that I saw a bus driver give the finger to someone.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Quote Originally Posted by doc1456
    As we were going down Farrington in Waipahu on the gentle slopping hill between a former radio station and the Paiwa intersection, someone braked early when it was still green, and since the driver was going a bit fast, he managed to honk his horn and swerve to avoid hitting the civic that was almost in a state of parkingness.
    Boy, I hate it when those hills start slopping. It can get messy real fast.

I'm embarrassed to say I had an encounter with a bus... while riding my bike.

I was coming down Halawa Heights Drive, a bit faster than I should have been going (of course), and saw several blocks ahead a bus crossing my path. Basically, the physics calculators in my head must've missed a decimal point, and I assumed that the bus would clear the intersection long before I got there.

At the last minute I realized I wasn't going to make it, slammed on my brakes, and ended up whomping into the side of the bus, sideways. I was still standing and wobbled over to the curb to gather my wits.

The bus driver actually stopped and got out and came over to ask if I was all right. I was humiliated but fine. He walked away shaking his head like he'd just met the dumbest crackhead in town.

I've also bounced off a few back bumpers of buses when getting a little too into "drafting" them down a street...

Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon

He walked away shaking his head like he'd just met the dumbest crackhead in town.
    Yes, but how did the bus fare?

Quote Originally Posted by lurkah
    Yes, but how did the bus fare?
    Fairly well, I suspect. But Ryan was lucky he never get bus' up!

Miulang

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12