Never piss off a bus driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never piss off a bus driver

Today, I caught the bus home, and along the way Mckinley HS people started to fill the bus. After a few minutes, I heard someone jump on their nextel phone and PTT someone (with swearing and other "young jargon"). I thought I was getting irritated by the sounds and whatnot, but what I heard shocked me. The bus driver (an older female local-looking person) went on the bus's intercom, and said "can the person with the nextel shut off the speaker". The bus went quiet and looked behind me, where the person was sitting, and apparently he stopped.

I wanted to show him that he can still PTT people w/out the speaker, but I guess he got embarrassed and got off the bus.

TheBus: 1
    Nextel: 0
    Last edited by adrian; July 28, 2005, 03:31 PM.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Never piss off a bus driver

Right on, Bus Driver Lady!!

Comment

I know PTT is cheaper than using the headpiece/mouthpiece but man some people just gotta broadcast their life story to everyone. I think that's worse than the cell phone itself ringing...over.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Yeah, and she probably did it while cutting someone off in traffic.

Bus drivers in Honolulu (especially the ones on Beretania, King and Kapiolani) rate just below taxi drivers, in my opinion. Seen them run red lights, block intersections, cut people off, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
          Yeah, and she probably did it while cutting someone off in traffic.

Bus drivers in Honolulu (especially the ones on Beretania, King and Kapiolani) rate just below taxi drivers, in my opinion. Seen them run red lights, block intersections, cut people off, etc.
          They also sit in the passing lane at 5 mph below the speed limit on the H1 between Kapolei and town, especially along the few miles between Pearl City and the airport/Nimitz area. So rude. Makes me crazy.

But I don't know what "PTT" means. I'll probably figure it out after I hit "send reply."

Comment

PTT = "press to talk". Those things always make me think of the toy walkie-talkies I had as a kid.

Comment

Actually...

PTT = Push to talk

Just Googled it to make sure.

Comment

Whatever those PTT things are, they're the most annoying innovation in regards to cell phones. I believe we have Nextel to thank for that. The sad thing is that people can use the feature without broadcasting it to everyone - but most of them are either too lazy to figure it out, not smart enough, or just think they look cool talking on a walkie talkie (even though a walkie talkie costs about 10 bucks at Radio Shack and doesn't have a 50+ monthly fee to use!)

Stephen/Ragin Cajun

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen
                  Whatever those PTT things are, they're the most annoying innovation in regards to cell phones. I believe we have Nextel to thank for that. The sad thing is that people can use the feature without broadcasting it to everyone - but most of them are either too lazy to figure it out, not smart enough, or just think they look cool talking on a walkie talkie (even though a walkie talkie costs about 10 bucks at Radio Shack and doesn't have a 50+ monthly fee to use!)

Stephen/Ragin Cajun
                  But those radios don't have the 30+ mile range that the nextel has, and even if you're close, the sound would be horrible.

But the one thing that bothers me, is when kids as young as 13 wear those baggy clothes, shirt halfway tucked in, hat leaning on the side while PTTing "wazzapp!!!" for a few minutes then ending the conversation.

And the worst part, is that Cingular will be rolling out its PTT soon, and Tmobile Germany is already using it in some places there, so it might come to the shores for "businessmen".

Comment

I find these annoying too! Argh!! One day I was in line at a clothing store....I think it was Old Navy. Anyhoos, there I was in a line with 6 others peeps. There was a young girl ahead of me at, oh, 3 folks ahead. Her nextel thingie beeped and she got on that dang walkie-talkie thingie with such a loud voice. Since I was PMS'ing that day, I was especially annoyed and started listening in on her conversation and started talking to the other customers in line about her conversation like I was in on it too! The others and I started laughing, she got the hint and switched to private!
                    Lovena

Comment

Nextel came into the Hawaii market when they bought out all of Motorola's Hawaii Commercial Business Band repeaters and renamed the company Nextel. That's why you don't see Motorola company vans running around Honolulu anymore and Nextel's primary cell phones are...Motorola!

So you can thank Moto for PTT.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                        Nextel came into the Hawaii market when they bought out all of Motorola's Hawaii Commercial Business Band repeaters and renamed the company Nextel. That's why you don't see Motorola company vans running around Honolulu anymore and Nextel's primary cell phones are...Motorola!

I think Motorola's making more money just being the equipment provider than they ever could selling their own stuff directly (i.e., "know your niche in business and prosper")

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                          Of course!

I haven't seen anyone use any other PTT radios other than Motos (well, maybe the police uses another brand) but so far, the other manufactures seem cheap.

And did I post this in the correct forum? Originally, it talked about TheBus drivers, but its now swaying towards technology.

Comment

It seems like topic drift is inevitable here at HawaiiThreads! Don't worry, if it gets really off-topic, the moderators will split the thread as needed.

Comment

Okay den back OT!!!

One thing about bus drivers is that as bad as they can be, the threat of losing their job (amazing benefits) and more importantly their CDL will keep them from causing too much trouble on the streets. And that goes for any driver who drives vehicles over 10,000 GVW (requiring a CDL license).

If these drivers lose their CDL for any reason, they can pretty much hang up their driving career and for some that's all they have as you don't need a college degree to get one. It is for that reason is why most heavy equipment drivers are typically curteous on the roads...typically that is.

If you see a CDL driver acting really bad, report him/her to the company or the police. That driver will get a notice to shape up or lose his license or job. You as an automobile driver or pedestrian/bicyclist have recourse against these kinds of bad drivers.

Comment

Working...
                              X