Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

if you had to live on the mainland, where would you live?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: if you had to live on the mainland.. where would you live?

Ohio, because:

1. My friends and family live there
    2. Lower cost of living compared to Hawaii
    3. Columbus, which is bigger than Honolulu, is quite the growing city (and unlike HI, there's still room for it to expand outward!)
    4. It might be white bread bland, but strangely enough that same generic population is the reason Columbus is often a testing ground for new restaurants! :-) Yay for food! (I miss good Mexican, and believe it or not, there are a few good Mexican places in OH)
    5. Cedar Point is my fave amusement park

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
      This thread is about where residents of the State of Hawaii would live, if they had a choice, as to where they would live on the mainland. I'm not sure if Guam residents are included in this question, they not being from Hawai'i, but what the heck, why not?
      Neither the title of the thread or Tiger Beer's starting post made no mention of where you are starting from. What is important to this thread is where you want to go to on the mainland. Of course this begs the question if Alaska counts as well but that could be the subject of another thread.

Comment

Only place I'd seriously consider living in is Portland, since I went to school @ Lewis & Clark College and now have a close friend from HS who moved up there.
        http://www.pineapplejuice.net/freshly-squeezed

Comment

Originally posted by Keith H.
          Only place I'd seriously consider living in is Portland, since I went to school @ Lewis & Clark College and now have a close friend from HS who moved up there.

May I say that I've already made my choice. I like San Jose for the mild weather (e.g., most recently, our days have been in the 70s) / wines (i.e., very good wineries in Santa Clara Valley and nearby Santa Cruz mountains). Additionally, wineries in Gold Country / Paso Robles / Napa aren't that far away.

However, the area from Portland down to McMinnville, OR impressed me. I've been there in January and March, and it was beautiful (and yes, wet). That area's gotten a pretty good rep re pinot noir . . . although, after tasting some local pinots at a food and wine exposition at Linfield College, I much prefer the versions made down here.

Palama Kid
          Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Beer
            Hmm.. tough choice. Curious about the Miami region.. yet, would probably really dislike actually living there.

Maybe Seattle or Las Vegas.
            It depends.

Coulda/woulda/shoulda moved when I was young and single? The east coast. Somewhere in the original colonies. I am not fond of the frontier at all. Or anywhere on the Great Lakes (I like Chicago, although I hate, hate, hate the cold).

If it is my kane, my kids and I, then we would need to live in a family-friendly and Hawaiian-friendly environment. Economics, schools, community and convenience would send us anywhere across the country (although I would think Seattle would be the first choice, with Las Vegas being ahead of um, anywhere else from the Rockies to the Appalachians).

If I am retired, or have a good saving with which to live upon, then I would go south to Australia or New Zealand. The US dollar is strong against theirs, and I am all about stretching a dollar! And its like Europe in the middle of the Pacific (or rather, the southern end of it). Further, as long as I am living in a democratic country that is kind to its immigrants/legal aliens/naturalized citizens, I'm good.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
              Portland, Oregon, probably. Maybe Austin, Texas, or somewhere outside New York. If my wife had her way, we'd be living somewhere in Florida right now!
              I am from Austin, TX now living in Sarasota, FL

The Univ of TX Longhorns are again headed to the Rose Bowl, yippeee.

Comment

Well...since this thread has just been resurrected, albeit a bit morphed...I'll add my 2 cents! If I had to leave Hawaii for the mainland but had the option to live anywhere I wanted I'd choose Carmel, Ca. and head back to my favorite table in front of the fireplace at the Hog's Breath Inn! Charming...absolutely charming.

Comment

Re: if you had to live on the mainland, where would you live?

To be honest I never been to Seattle, it was some place to go during the middle 1980's. Been to the San Francisco Bay Area a few times during the late 1980's to the early 1990's. Since then I have been to Amarillo, Texas and a couple of times to Fernley, Nevada.

I won't mind going to these places again to visit, living there on the other hand that would depend on finding a place to work there first.

Comment

Re: if you had to live on the mainland, where would you live?

this thread is back?????????????????????

Well, matapule is retired (sort of) and uaifi and matapule looked all over the world for their retirement paradise, really they literally looked all over the world, travelled there and looked. Their final decision, based on a number of personal criteria (e.g. they had to be within a coupe of hours of his elderly parents), is the Los Cabos area of Baja California. This area was settled at one time by polynesians, probably from Hawai'i. They found a climate almost exactly like Hawai'i, plenty of coconuts, and abundant fish in the sea.

Today matapule enjoys a friendly and loving local Mexican population (who are in the vast majority so there are no racial issues), fabulous local Spanish/native American cuisine, unspoiled beauty, and that same Hawai'i weather. But that doesn't mean matapule and uaifi won't wash up on Hawai'i shores one day soon.

Matapulle's theory is that he can be happy almost anywhere. It all depends on attitude. Something good can be found everywhere.
                    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Working...
                    X